Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempts at fasting: how does this keep happening?? page 2

NikhilT is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I like to plan my fasts a day or two in advance. Generally I'll put an alarm on my phone at 4pm for Thursday that says "Last Meal." I make sure to eat and then I'm set. I choose 4pm because by 11pm or so I'll be a little hungry, so I can sleep through any hunger pangs. I wake up to another alarm on my phone that says "Fasting!" with a reminder at noon just in case I feel like a snack. Friday at 4pm I break the fast.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NikhilT View Post
    I like to plan my fasts a day or two in advance. Generally I'll put an alarm on my phone at 4pm for Thursday that says "Last Meal." I make sure to eat and then I'm set. I choose 4pm because by 11pm or so I'll be a little hungry, so I can sleep through any hunger pangs. I wake up to another alarm on my phone that says "Fasting!" with a reminder at noon just in case I feel like a snack. Friday at 4pm I break the fast.
    When you say you prepare for a fast 2 days in advance, what does that mean?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I wondered about this. I saw someone say she was using broth to get through a fast, and my initial thought was "But you're ingesting nutrients, so how is that a true fast?"
    There is really no such thing as 'true' fast. Your limitations are determined by your goals. Want to limit your food intake for the day, but don't trigger limbic hunger and insulin response & feel Okay? Then 20 cals cup worth of broth or tiny bit of cream in coffee or some other insignificant intake won't "break" your fast and interfere with your goals (unless it does).

On the other hand if your goal is to psychologically prove to yourself that you can live without putting anything in your mouth for 48 hours, well, then you would literally go without any food and water.

People do juice fasts, hot pepper and lemon juice ones (famous master-cleans), this and that fasts, whatever suits their particular need and makes them feel that they achieve the FAST. Heck when I was 18, there were folks who drunk their own urine while fasting to heal themselves in addition to making anemas from that same valuable source of salts and all.

It is no different from any other concept. It's just a name, and the individuals put their spin on it.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-22-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

NikhilT is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    When you say you prepare for a fast 2 days in advance, what does that mean?
    I don't PREPARE per se. I just plan ahead that I'm going to fast within a certain 24 hour time span. For example, on Tuesday I may decide to fast Thursday 5pm to Friday 5pm. So I'll just make sure I eat particularly fat-heavy before the fast for extra satiety, I'll tell my friends if I'm going out so nobody pushes me to drink or whatever, etc.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Do you actually want to fast? Why? If you ate at 11 am, you most likely fasted a good interval for Intermittent Fasting (assuming you are a female). I dunno, your 'failures' to fast sound like doing something fun, actually, rather than binging. In fact, your happy attitude seems actually healthier to me than obsessing about the exact # of hours and keeping fast on your mind every frigging second of the day. A few basil leaves only "break" the fast for purists. Leangain allows under 50 calories during fasting window. Obviously, a spoon of coconut butter is not a great thing, but you hear from people now and again who believe they are fasting and they drink bullet proof coffee. So, if you really keen on fasting, after you have put a bite into your mouth, well, slap yourself on the forehead and keep going as if nothing has happened till you are hungry enough to eat a meal.
    Fasting until 11am isnt much of a fast for me- that's just not having enough time for breakfast. I want to fast because I've heard other's reports about their skin getting better with a day or 2 of fasting. I haven't found any research to back it up (usually my actions are very evidence based) but I've broken out so badly since going off the pill that I really want to try anything and the theory is that apparently your body redirects its efforts away from your digestive system and towards fixing other things if you fast completely for a while. I'm not overweight or anything so it's not for weight loss.

I don't forget it that day or that hour but I mindlessly do something that i don't think of as being "eating" per say. I guess stopping snacks between meals in general would make fasting easier but that seems pretty effortful to do every day just to ensure the success of a fast once in a while. I'm thinking that maybe if I find my retainer (from after having braces) I'll put that in so that I won't mindlessly eat. But I'm really surprised that this doesnt happen to anyone else!!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, I did pop a berry or two in my mouth when working in the yard mindlessly Otherwise, I am too obsessed with food for my own good.

For your break-out, there might be a simpler solution, depending on how much sugar you are eating. Do you eat any honey, maple syrup, palm sugar, fresh or dry fruit, sweet potatoes, carrots or artificial sweeteners? I'd chuck that for a few weeks and see if your skin clears before I try to fast it out. If you are doing it for detox/break out, you would benefit from enema on the morning after, sorry about the eww details.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Getting started I have had a few "crap!" Moments. It gets easier.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    It's easy for me not to think about eating during the day because I'm busy with class and work, and whenever I'm around friends who are eating they're making something for which the question of 'eating some or not' just doesn't arise. For example I caught up with my best friend last night while helping her make some banana bread. It smelled awesome and I have fun baking stuff, but I knew and she knew that I just wasn't going to have any.

So I don't consciously obsess about food when fasting, but oddly I DO have DREAMS that I'll accidentally break the fast.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I want to get to the not thinking what I will eat when I break the fast point
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12