Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How soon to have a cheat meal? page

GrokyBalboa is offline Junior Member

How soon to have a cheat meal?

Primal Fuel
    I'm smack dab in the middle of my first week. It hasn't been too tough just yet. However, today is the first day I started really looking forward to having a cheat meal. Should I have a cheat meal the first week?(Sunday) Should I have cheat meals at all? Right about now I'm craving a big bowl of spaghetti for Sunday, but I'm scared to death to even eat pasta. It's my main weakness when it comes to processed carbohydrates. Any advice welcome.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    In this case I can only tell you what I did when I was in your situation. I decided to "test the water" by having a small amount of a previous non-paleo problem food and seeing how I reacted to it. In my case it was chocolate and marshmallow ice cream. I had a small bowl, enjoyed it, and moved on. Now, before switching to real foods my dinner would have been the whole container of ice cream, which is why I ended up a portly 225 or so pounds. Some people are able to go pure paleo right away and never look back, but for others it's a hard transition and a more gradual approach achieves the best results. Eating a healthier diet is awesome, but if a sudden change is stressing you out and making you upset then some self-experimenting and smaller steps might be the way to go. Just give 100% a shot, and adjust from there until you gradually end up eating all or mostly real foods and feeling great.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Pasta is addictive to some people. I got a friend who was a huge pasta lover when she was younger and gave it up cold when she went Primal. She hasn't gone back since because she's afraid it'll get it's claws back in her. If Pasta is your weakness, STAY AWAY from it.

For myself, it's cheesecake. I love cheesecake to death, it's my weakness, and this past weekend I ate some for the first time in many, many months; I was ill for the next day or so, and totally regretted it.

In my experience with Primal, I didn't let myself cheat for the first month or so. I wanted to build up good habits and not have a setback early on because I know it'd discourage me. After I got those good habits down, I allowed small, small cheats, but I really don't cheat much at all anymore.

It depends on you. I'd recommend staying away from the pasta and, if you want to cheat, cheat sensibly. If you think you can handle it and cheat with Pasta, good luck to you.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Pasta is NOT part of the primal/paleo way of eating. This is a way of life. Eating real food is what its all about. I wouldn't go there so soon myself. You haven't even adapted to eating real food yet. Are you changing because of health problems, weight issues? If so you REALLY need to avoid ALL processed foods period. It is the only way you'll get your body to get back to its natural balance and repair the damage that has been done.

That said, it is a blue print. You decide how you will incorporate it all into your life. The food is beyond delicious once you learn to really cook. No restaurant food comes close. To talk of cheating makes it sound like you are doing something you don't particularly like. This isn't a fad diet.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    how about never on stuff like taht ...

this is a lifestyle for most of us not something like a diet we "cheat" on
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    I'd say give it 100% (or your best) for 21 days. Then, if you still feel like cheating, knock yourself out.

Try some spaghetti squash and meat sauce.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    It will probably be fine to have a cheat meal over the weekend so long as you understand it may fuel cravings and you may need to reduce/minimize carbs for a few days afterwards. You could cheat Saturday and Sunday then get back on vegetables, protein and higher fat on Monday for a few days. This is what I do and it really seems to work.

Wheat is bad news and should be not be considered an ideal food to cheat with.

The least you need to know:
    Nails in the coffin | Wheat Belly Blog

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    we are forgetting that crap can stay in your system for 1-2 weeks depending on which expert you listen to

dont cheat, reap the benifits of the lifestyle! and find ways around it like substitute foods.. im nearly 8 months in and was raised italian, i dont think about pasta twice and it was in my meals prior 1-2 times a day without fail (hence my chrons disease)
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

GrokyBalboa is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Pasta is NOT part of the primal/paleo way of eating. This is a way of life. Eating real food is what its all about. I wouldn't go there so soon myself. You haven't even adapted to eating real food yet. Are you changing because of health problems, weight issues? If so you REALLY need to avoid ALL processed foods period. It is the only way you'll get your body to get back to its natural balance and repair the damage that has been done.

That said, it is a blue print. You decide how you will incorporate it all into your life. The food is beyond delicious once you learn to really cook. No restaurant food comes close. To talk of cheating makes it sound like you are doing something you don't particularly like. This isn't a fad diet.
    I understand that, but I'm going from a lifetime of eating processed carbs to this. Just quitting cold turkey is easier said than done.(As you all already know). I've tried to cut it out cold turkey before, but I ended up just breaking down and going on a pasta/carb binge. I'm trying not to repeat that same thing by at least giving myself a little taste once a week, until my body starts to reject it. But I'm more than willing to not do that if you experienced PB'ers don't recommend me do so.

I'm doing it mainly to keep weight down and because halfway through the book, I really believe in the science. Not because I'm overweight by a lot. I'm very active, 6'2", 225 LBS., fairly muscular frame. I snowboard and would like to get back into running, but I have knee issues, and at 225, it just makes it worse on my joints. I'm trying to get down to the 200 LBS. range and maintain that. I also have inflammation issues, and I'm hoping this way of eating helps with that.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure "planned" cheat meals are primal/paleo. The 80/20 rule is so that you can fit in on work nights out etc....
    If you focus on the "cheat" meal that is all you will focus on. If you are on a night out and slip the 20% says move on and don't worry.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast