Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated Celiac Not Losing Weight! page

t-bird is offline Junior Member

Frustrated Celiac Not Losing Weight!

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago and haven't had any problems staying away from gluten, although I was still eating non-gluten grains and dairy. I gained about 10 pounds when I stopped eating gluten and my doctor told me it was because my body was finally absorbing nutrients from food. That's fine and all, but I can't lose the weight. I eat a primal diet with small amounts of fruit and I do drink red wine in moderation. I do moderate amounts of exercise on a fairly regular basis. I have done some crossfit in the past, but find that I get injured more often than not. I'm going to try crossfit again, but at a slower pace this time. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I'm 5'5 and weigh 148lbs. I have a medium/large build, so I can carry some weight, but I hate it. I got down to 123 in my 20's (I'm 35) while following the south beach diet, but I was starving...and in a bad mood all the time because of it. I'm also suffering from acne on my chest and back. I'm wondering if the omega 3 supplement I take might be contributing. All the meat I eat is grass-fed or pasture raised, veggies come from a local organic farm. What am I doing wrong here? I feel pretty good, just can't lose my belly fat. Any feed back would be much appreciated.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    What exactly ARE you eating?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Carbs during the winter do reinforce tendency towards weight gain, there is anecdotal evidence of this all over this forum. I would suggest you do a few zero carb days- the Atkins Fat Fast offers some nice guidelines. You can eat 75-90% fat if you want or try 800 calories of butter, cooked vegetables and however many calories of animal protein you want. I would not use much dairy on these days unless you metabolize dairy well. The Atkins Fat Fast will help you calm your cravings and reduce your hunger though you should not do it for more than a few days- 3-5 at the most, then add carbs back in.

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t-bird View Post
    I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago and haven't had any problems staying away from gluten, although I was still eating non-gluten grains and dairy. I gained about 10 pounds when I stopped eating gluten and my doctor told me it was because my body was finally absorbing nutrients from food. That's fine and all, but I can't lose the weight. I eat a primal diet with small amounts of fruit and I do drink red wine in moderation. I do moderate amounts of exercise on a fairly regular basis. I have done some crossfit in the past, but find that I get injured more often than not. I'm going to try crossfit again, but at a slower pace this time. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I'm 5'5 and weigh 148lbs. I have a medium/large build, so I can carry some weight, but I hate it. I got down to 123 in my 20's (I'm 35) while following the south beach diet, but I was starving...and in a bad mood all the time because of it. I'm also suffering from acne on my chest and back. I'm wondering if the omega 3 supplement I take might be contributing. All the meat I eat is grass-fed or pasture raised, veggies come from a local organic farm. What am I doing wrong here? I feel pretty good, just can't lose my belly fat. Any feed back would be much appreciated.
    Hey, can you list what you're eating?

I'm coeliac too. It can take several years for your system to heal after a lifetime of eating gluten... so this may be why your weight isn't shifting. My doc told me that the body would heal and then when the body was 'optimised' then weight would drop. That has certainly been true from me.

Please don't attempt the 'fat fast'. It's a stupid idea and is only meant for people who are truly metabolically resistant. Further reading on the condition of Fiercehunter's diet and body condition will tell you she's spouting crap which should be avoided at all cost. However, she's awesome, so yeah, whatever.

I've also done South beach and lost a lot of weight on it... and was never hungry so I'm interested why that failed for you.

Anyhoo.... food pls and then we'll see if we can help.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Have you done anything like GAPS or SCD? For most Celiac's, just cutting out gluten isn't enough to heal. Paleo will likely work but GAPS would be more effective and faster.

The Gluten-Free Lie: Why Most Celiacs Are Slowly Dying

Dropping weight is on the bottom of the body's priority list when it comes to healing.

I eat grass-fed beef, pasture raised pork and chicken and wild caught sea food along with the fresh local veggies I get from my CSA every week. I also eat some nuts and a small amount of fruit. I eat avocados, cook with coconut oil and eat some macadamia nuts. I cook meals from "Everyday Paleo" and the Primal Blueprint cookbook. I exercise almost everyday and very rarely sit on my butt for long periods of time. I don't over eat either, I know when to stop. I'm sure you can see why I'm frustrated.

The south beach diet didn't work for me because I was hungry all the time. I lost weight, but I was miserable..also, I was eating a lot of low fat dairy products which turns out makes me very sick.

A typical day of eating looks like this...
    Breakfast...2 eggs with veggies

Lunch...Big veggie salad with 4 ounces of chicken

Snack...a few macadamia nuts and an ounce of beef jerky

Dinner...3 or 4 ounces of protein and a ton of veggies

sometimes a glass or two of red wine and a few almonds if I'm hungry later in the evening

So, that's it...am I making a mistake somewhere? I'm thinking about trying IF...but I get really crabby when I'm hungry. I think I may have a low functioning thyroid, bought some supplements at whole foods today, I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Have you done anything like GAPS or SCD? For most Celiac's, just cutting out gluten isn't enough to heal. Paleo will likely work but GAPS would be more effective and faster.

The Gluten-Free Lie: Why Most Celiacs Are Slowly Dying

Dropping weight is on the bottom of the body's priority list when it comes to healing.
    What is GAPS and SCD?

I eat grass-fed beef, pasture raised pork and chicken and wild caught sea food along with the fresh local veggies I get from my CSA every week. I also eat some nuts and a small amount of fruit. I eat avocados, cook with coconut oil and eat some macadamia nuts. I cook meals from "Everyday Paleo" and the Primal Blueprint cookbook. I exercise almost everyday and very rarely sit on my butt for long periods of time. I don't over eat either, I know when to stop. I'm sure you can see why I'm frustrated.

The south beach diet didn't work for me because I was hungry all the time. I lost weight, but I was miserable..also, I was eating a lot of low fat dairy products which turns out makes me very sick.

A typical day of eating looks like this...
    Breakfast...2 eggs with veggies

Lunch...Big veggie salad with 4 ounces of chicken

Snack...a few macadamia nuts and an ounce of beef jerky

Dinner...3 or 4 ounces of protein and a ton of veggies

sometimes a glass or two of red wine and a few almonds if I'm hungry later in the evening

So, that's it...am I making a mistake somewhere? I'm thinking about trying IF...but I get really crabby when I'm hungry. I think I may have a low functioning thyroid, bought some supplements at whole foods today, I hope it helps.
    Hmmm, well I think your protein is quite low... personally, I'd be increasing that.

What makes you think your thyroid is low? If it is, or you have auto immune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) then the weight will probably not come off until you correct that.
    Have you had any thyroid tests?

What is GAPS and SCD?
    Home Page

It's a diet which can heal your gut fast. There's a list of foods to include and exclude. It's great. And often surprising reading! : )

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It looks like the quality of your food is good. Maybe a little more fat, but otherwise good foods as long as you feel like you're getting enough to not be hungry. You could try tracking on something like FitDay or Livestrong for a while and see what you're actually eating. Your body might just be in a healing mode right now. I've noticed mine seems to focus on either healing or weight loss, but not usually both at the same time.

No advice on how to lose more, but a bit of a caution - make sure you aren't set on some weight that you were back in the day. Your body changes, and what looked great straight out of high school might look terrible as you approach menopause, and adding muscle can make the scale go up, even though it makes you look leaner.

Not lecturing, just mentioning something I noticed as I started to lose weight. When I was an athlete in high school, I weighed 130 at 5'6". Now, at age 47, I'm thinking 145 actually looks better on me.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, how much fat are you getting in? I'm not reading fats in your diet... apart from sporadic nuts and eggs...

Your comments about South Beach are interesting. The point of it is that you're never meant to be hungry so I'm wondering if you were getting enough fats or protein on that either.

Rita suggests you track on FitDay or something and I agree. If you could fill in a day of food and see where your cals are coming from - percentage fats, carbs and proteins, it might give us the heads up on how to help a bit more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast