Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated Celiac Not Losing Weight! page 3

A-Celiac is offline Junior Member

"Healthy" Foods -- maybe not so much for me!

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    I'm celiac, carb sensitive, gluten intolerant, mega sugar sensitive, ibs, & everything in between! gas, bloating, fatigue, candida are all symptoms that i have suffered.. You name the symptom, I feel your pain in this thread..

However, I'm good now.. Looking @ your food list I'm wondering about your selection of "healthy" foods.. Flax of course will bloat & gas you.. Quinoa (contradictory) is a grain.. Some say its a seed, but why do you need to eat it? Its very simliar to a grain, (regardless if its technically a seed, its that rice & grain substitute some "healthy" gurus subscribe to) it will bloat you, similar to the way grains & wheat did.. "lots" of organic veggies? why do you need lots? & "Powders"?

I've noticed similarities in conventionally-deemed "healthy" foods that tie to my IBS & Celiac.. Pretty much everything you mentioned above (except the organic meats) I avoid in curing my Celiac.. I would stay away from "powders", drop anything close to a grain, tone down the amount of veggies you eat, & pump the brakes on the flax.. You're crushing your digestive tract with an arsenal of fiber, a true contributer to IBS & some celiac suffers.. All that fiber could be stripping your digestive tract of all the "good" bacteria that contributes to balance in your digestive system..

You need a calm digestive system.. I would stick with the meats, eggs, avocado, full fat yogurts, & "some" veggies & a maybe a piece of fruit.. But the meat & fats are the cure for me.. I've found foods that digest over long periods of time keep my body calm & more relaxed.. Clears my skin, lightens my blood pressure, calms my heart rate & keeps my body absorbing & retaining nutrients (something celiacs have difficulty accomplishing).. I also sleep better which is the fundamental sense I'm doing something right..

& also "IF"-ing would certaintly be something I would try.. I can't think of anything more primal & natural than enduring periods of time with no food.. Upping the fats & dropping the massive amounts of fiber could assist in rebuilding your guts & switching off that sugar metabolism, while switching on that fat metoblism.. I can fast for days @ a time & feel fantastic.. My body has become more efficient it seems..

Anyway, that's just my experience, could maybe assist in tweaking your strategy
    Thank you SO much for your response. I can't tell you how challenging this has been. I agree, I am probably overdoing it with the "healthy" foods. I am extremely interested in fitness and health, and thought at one point these were all super healthy. I guess with this new diagnosis, they are not healthy for me.

What is your daily food intake like? I am just trying to get an idea of what I should be consuming. Basically, do you follow a completely Paleo style diet with no beans etc? What about nuts? I have tried for the past 2 weeks to cut out dairy, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference. Maybe it was because I have continued with all of the "healthy" foods I listed above.

I really really want to get to the bottom of this. It is so frustrating to deal with all of these symptoms and have my weight stay at a constant when I work so hard at improving my body. Your help is sincerely appreciated!!!

Thank you so much for your response! I am hoping that the symptoms will stop soon. I understand that 10-15 years worth of damage may not be cured overnight, but it just seems strange that things seem to have been getting worse.

I agree with you both that my "healthy" foods listed may not actually be that healthy for me. Maybe while my body is repairing itself, it is a good idea to stick to blander foods. After the initial "repair" period, were you able to add things back eventually? I know some people say that you will initially be lactose intolerant as well, but that this may go away. Did you find this to be the case? The bread I can deal with -- but cheese too??? What will go with my red wine?

Also, how were you all able to figure out your other intolerance's such as corn, sugar etc? I am having a hard time pinpointing what the culprits are.

Thanks so much!

Also, I am curious about your IF routine. I have done a juice fast in the past, but what do you do? I am looking to achieve max fitness and health and you seem extremely knowledgeable!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Celiac View Post
    Thank you so much for your response! I am hoping that the symptoms will stop soon. I understand that 10-15 years worth of damage may not be cured overnight, but it just seems strange that things seem to have been getting worse.

I agree with you both that my "healthy" foods listed may not actually be that healthy for me. Maybe while my body is repairing itself, it is a good idea to stick to blander foods. After the initial "repair" period, were you able to add things back eventually? I know some people say that you will initially be lactose intolerant as well, but that this may go away. Did you find this to be the case? The bread I can deal with -- but cheese too??? What will go with my red wine?

Also, how were you all able to figure out your other intolerance's such as corn, sugar etc? I am having a hard time pinpointing what the culprits are.

Thanks so much!

Ha, I hear ya on the red wine.. I love it!

First off, all the knowledge floating around this forum, I am probably the lowest on the totem pole, ha.. I can't tell you how thankful I am to have landed on this forum.. So much rich information here, I simply just read for hours.. I do think there are 2 different types of teachers in this forum.. There is the technical analyst, then there's the "feel" analyst.. The technical analyst in this forum communicates like a doctor.. Talks like a chemist, blood types, molecules, atom collaboration, etc.. I am a "feel" player though.. I am an expert on my bodies reaction to things & take fundamentals to solve my problems..I would probably suggest the same for you, just start paying very close attention to your bodys reaction to the things.. "listen to your body" type thing..

With that being said, it seems every metabolism in this forum is damaged to a different extent, so don't become dogmatic to everyones advice on what works for them.. Every genetic is different, we are ALL unique snowflakes, unfortunately.. What works for a few, simply inflames the problems of others.. So, I would spend time searching keywords in the toolbar, simliar to your problem & spend more of your time reading about their experiences..

For me & you, I think there are similarities.. So, this is a good connection we may have.. You'll read many people around here that feel simply fantastic inhaling POUNDS of potatoes & white rice every day.. For a celiac, IBS, &/or digestive sensitive gut sufferer, rice & potatoes aren't the solution..

In my experience & to be my bodies resolve.. I don't react well to Carbs in general.. I have always been a fanatic fitness guy, & being a male, the menu included lots of "oats", "whole grain breads", & "rices".. For many years I would hammer through lots of "clean foods" by eating these grains, wheat, etc.. I think this is what destroyed my digestive tract, & staged my wheat allergy (celiac) & overall carb sensitivity.. So, that is my type of damaged metabolism, & I'm probably more sensitive in general to carbs, even starches & fruits, than most in this forum.. That being said, what works for me, may be a good foundation for your healing..

The way I try to approach my diet is this: My body & digestion needs to slow down.. I get hot, anxious, heart beats fast, gassy, bloated, very "full" feeling, blood pressure spikes, eyes can sometimes dry out & just feel a false sense of excitement when I eat things that I shouldn't.. Similar to doing drugs I guess.. My goal is to "calm" my body down.. I remember when I was young how I could eat anything & just feel great & utilize anything for energy.. My stomach was a trash can (hence the years of over-eating to add muscle that has created my backlash)..

Things that seem to over-excite my body: sugary fruit, oats, bread, juices, potatoes, some higher glycemic vegetables, too many vegetables, alcohol, & the obvious bad fake foods that come in a box..

When I eat those foods, reactions include: heart beats fast, I get "hot", skin can get red, I get rashy, can break out, my eyes get blood shot, I don't sleep well, I pee a lot, initiate cold sores on & in my mouth, I get crampy, bloated, put on body fat & inflammation, look dehydrated & just don't look good

Things that make me body feel good (I can eat these foods, never feel bloated, gassy, & my skin glows, teeth actually look whiter as well).. meat, some vegetables, eggs, seafood, avocado, a banana (I can't do citrusy fruits), oils (love frying my meats in olive/cocoanut oil) full fat yogurt, & most cheeses (favorite being goat cheese) almonds, & most primal nuts..

When I eat these foods, reactions include: calmness, no immediate fire energy but slow sustained energy, I poop perfectly, I don't pee a lot, I sleep better, skin glows, no inflammation, I stay really lean, no inflammation (I can see inflammation in my face if I eat the wrong kind of carb, when I eat higher fats & low carb, all the inflammation seems to subside & I look great)..

To make a long story short, if your metabolism is damaged, I would take out the carbs & fiber first, & focus on only eating meats, eggs, & some good veggies, maybe some good fruits if you can handle.. Period.. I would also take out the alcohol or @ least limit.. Sugar & alcohol have to be the most toxic things you can put in your body.. Almost as bad as wheat for a celiac..

As a celiac, you have developed a sensitive gut, so I focus on calming & healing the guts.. I think this is done through meat & some veggies, full fat yogurts & maybe some cheeses.. These things calm & slow down the digestive process in my body.. Again, just a "feel" thing for me..

The "IF" for me just something that seems natural now. My body is actually @ the most "peace" when I'm not eating.. Digesting food is very taxing on the body & you being a celiac need your body doing more "healing" than digesting.. I would start eating 2 giant meals a day, then resting the digesting system for the rest of the hours in a day.. I personally eat a huge meal @ lunch (1pm), then dinner around 5pm.. So I'm fasting for around 16 hours a day, & eating around 4 hours a day..

For lunch I eat: 6 eggs cooked in olive oil, 1 banana, avocado, .5lb of salmon, .5lb of fatty red meat, 1-2 cups of yogurt, some almonds.. This is a huge meal for me, probably 2,000-2,5000 calories.. but I'm a male & need the calories to hold on to my muscle.. I feel great after eating this, ha.. I'm like a snake I guess, huge meal, then just cruisin cruising the rest of the day..

For dinner I eat: another type of meat & asparagus or some type of veggie, but only a little bit.. If I'm hungry, I eat more meat..

So, that's my deal.. 1 huge meal, 1 average meal for dinnerr.. the more sugar I can keep out of my diet, the better for now.. low on the fiber too.. Eating higher fat will train your body to feel better fasting, so the "IF"-ing will come as you stick to the higher fat, lower carb, whole foods..

As my body heals, I've noticed I can reintroduce some starch every once in a while & handle it perfectly.. No gassy, no bloating, etc.. this lets me know I'm healing.. So, every few weeks or once a month, I'll crush a "cheat meal" just to test my digestive system & I've noticed the longer I can stay disciplined, the better I can handle nasty foods.. For example, my niece had a bday a few weeks ago (she turned 4).. I ate a huge piece of cake, a few pieces of pizza & some ice cream.. Handled it perfectly.. Felt gross right after I ate it, but my body processed it well, it didn't "run through me" & I didn't even get gassy.. SO, I'm improving

Read this (changed my philosophy on eating, entirely) ---> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04

Also, this would be great for you ----> The Diet

I hope this helped! I hope you can get back on track.. I know its been frustrated, but I really believe the key is no sugar, less fiber, more meat, & maybe some yogurts to build that gut back up..

I also take a probiotic supplement every day.. The key is to build that gut back up.. Once you're healed, you'll even be able to handle some toxic gluten if want to splurge every once in a while

I''m always here for help.. Hope you are well this evening!
    Last edited by abc123; 01-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Do you know how many calories you eat? if not track for a while.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Diet is the main thing to concentrate on for weight loss.

vitaminme71 is offline Junior Member

Wink Meat is my greatest friend.

I am so thankful I found this thread forum! I thought I was going nuts with being Celiac and gaining weight no matter what I did. It's frustrating when family members think one is "hooked on sugar", hence the weight gain.

Uuhhh nooo- I only eat 1 small banana and 5 small strawberries or berries in the morning with high lean proteins and NO sugars later except from veges like asparagus, cucumber, or zucchini. Just like abc123 and A-Celiac - I've done all of the above and still trying to figure out how to lose weight.

I have been scared to go to a higher protein diet because of nutrients that I need and cutting fiber in that i.e. flaxmeal as what usually ensues is constipation. I've even cut out red meat and pork except on occasion. It's been most frustrating!!! For almost 2 years I have been gluten free with an occasional gluten-ing by accident and still cannot lose weight with moderate exercise. I've tried increasing exercise, also to no avail.

Dairy is hit or miss, but when I do have them I have most luck sticking with organic creams, cheeses, yogurt (low amounts) i.e. half and half and plain authentic Greek yogurt. I feel satiated longer with the good fats like abc123 does and stay away from seeds, most nuts, and many green veges i.e. kale, lettuce, etc. because they cause me to feel hungry within 20 minutes no matter what or how much I eat with them. Safe ones for me: Macadamia, Brazil, Pecans, red leaf lettuce. Almonds are a no no for me (stomach cramping).

What I can see that might help is to incorporate a cheat day as-it-were. I have definitely learned to listen to my body and watch for side effects similar to abc123. Our reactions are so similar.

Am open to updates and suggestions. Again, I am relieved to have finally found this! I'm not nuts after all!

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    You're definitely NOT eating enough!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123