Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: this is so not primal..but... page

chia is offline Senior Member

this is so not primal..but...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    a friend gave me a gift basket which contained some organic popcorn...so as a treat, I took a big pot out of the pantry...threw in some coconut oil..and the tiniest bit of organic sugar...and made the BEST 'kettle corn'...added a little bit of sea salt after as well. 1/4 cup yielded about 5 cups of popped...and the crunch munch of it all was divine... I am VERY good with my eating...have no weight to lose..work out daily and as personal trainer, I make sure and do some kick ass good stuff...! so, I guess I sheepishly ask you all, with my head held low, if it's ok that i have this as a treat 2 or 3 times a week?...... I KNOW it's not primal...and I KNOW corn isn't great...at least this is organic corn..but still.. I feel badly....someone tell me it's ok...?.. if not....
    sigh.....

@lex is offline Senior Member
    This isn't a cult and you don't need to try to justify or ask permission for occasionally eating something that you enjoy that isn't paleo or primal. If you enjoy it then don't beat yourself up for having some, just don't make it a daily habit. I had 5 thin mint girl scout cookies this morning, no guilt or second thought either, I just ate them and moved on with my day. I can assure you that those cookies were worse than the organic corn you ate, yet we're both still alive and functioning properly.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

chia is offline Senior Member
    I know..I just concern myself with blood sugar etc...it seems to be a lOW GI...but still, I am a bit of a fuss pot about perfection....a little nuts actually..... ;-)

activia is offline Senior Member
    If you were a celiac I would say absolutely not. If you are not gluten intolerant... or corn does not cause any other issues for you (skin, anxiety, depression..etc.) then I'd say you were fine with it. Just keep an eye on how it may be effecting you.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    If you were a celiac I would say absolutely not. If you are not gluten intolerant... or corn does not cause any other issues for you (skin, anxiety, depression..etc.) then I'd say you were fine with it. Just keep an eye on how it may be effecting you.
    Corn does not contain gluten AFAIK...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Don't do it till summer then be very careful.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    I know..I just concern myself with blood sugar etc...it seems to be a lOW GI...but still, I am a bit of a fuss pot about perfection....a little nuts actually..... ;-)
    A lot of people in this community are, and a lot of it is needless and does them more harm then good. I'd rather just eat a banana or other "forbidden fruit" and move on with my day than worry about the banana and what it may or may not be doing to me. I'd rather eat real food and not worry about the occasional indulgence here and there because in my opinion, it's better than chronic stress and worry. I'd rather not worry about food and possibly die a couple years early then end up as an orthorexic mess who lives a bit longer but hangs on the words of whatever diet guru seems to have found the solution to all our problems this month. I'm not implying that you're one of those people, I'm just putting my opinions into context.

Eat real food, enjoy the occasional treats, and live your life instead of obsessing over the small details and numbers .
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Corn does not contain gluten AFAIK...
    I'm aware of that. Its just a lot of people that have problems with gluten, have problems with corn because of cross-reactivity, this is especially true in celiac patients.. I have another video somewhere about this....
    Primal since March 2011

I'll post this here too.. I've seen this from more then just Chris Kresser... From a lot of the gluten experts around..They are finding this out because people with celiac go on a gluten free diet and are still having symptoms of celiac.. then they eliminate all grains and are OK. I Just want to make sure the person is aware of this.. Not because I want them to get orthorexia.. but just to keep an eye out for pre-primal symptoms and that the cause may be their biweekly corn.

"Finally, we also now know that when you are gluten intolerant – which 33% (if not more) of you are – you will also “cross-react” with other foods that have a similar “molecular signature” to gluten and its components. Unfortunately, the list of these foods (shown below) contains all grains, which is why some medical practitioners (myself included) recommend not just a gluten-free diet, but an entirely grain-free diet. As you can see, it also contains other foods like dairy (alpha & beta casein, casomorphin, milk butyrophilin) and coffee (which is a very common cross-reactant).

alpha-caesin
    beta-caesin
    casomorphin
    milk butyrophilin
    cow’s milk
    american cheese
    chocolate
    coffee
    all cereal grains
    quinoa
    amaranth
    buckwheat
    tapioca
    rice
    potato
    corn
    sesame
    "
    Primal since March 2011

The only other reason I would say to watch the intake you dont want to fall down a slipperly slope. But if you can control yourself with it, if you are in good health and have no symptoms popping up, and you dont find yourself regularly needing to eat other non-primal foods.. then by all means eat it and enjoy and dont feel guilty about it!
    Primal since March 2011

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast