Thread: sardine question also... page

chia is offline Senior Member

sardine question also...

Primal Fuel
    I LOVE them..can't believe that's ME saying that..who used to despise seafood. I also purchased the ones in olive oil...the sodium per serving, which is half of the small can..and I eat the whole can, is over 300 mg.... is draining and rinsing the sardines the best way to rid of MOST of the sodium?

also, I made them taste divine by warming in a bit of butter...then added a tbsp of cream cheese and a tbsp of cream...tossed in a few handfuls of spinach and some chives...I DARE anyone to try this and NOT fall in love....
    you could add anything..some sun dried toms...serve on top of other veggies...let me know what you think.....!!

please let me know of the sodium issue though...this is a new staple for me!!

:-)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sodium is not an issue on a whole foods diet. If anything, you may get too little. Enjoy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

good point... so if i had a can a day, 600 mg, the way i eat, that's probably all i get in total. I throw a bit of sea salt on veggies here and there...the odd home made soup where i use organic, low sodium broths....but otherwise, there isn't much in my life.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I looovvve sardines but currently eat them straight out of the can- will have to try.

you must let me know what you think... it was the kind of yummie where you want more and more........seriously,,,,,,,!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    also, I made them taste divine by warming in a bit of butter...then added a tbsp of cream cheese and a tbsp of cream...tossed in a few handfuls of spinach and some chives...I DARE anyone to try this and NOT fall in love....
    you could add anything..some sun dried toms...serve on top of other veggies...let me know what you think.....!!
    i love mine plain from the can, soaked in that oil...but this sounds delicious. i'll have to give this a go. how do you think this would mix in some eggs?

activia is offline Senior Member
    I had to purposely add ADDITIONAL salt (then I was already adding) to my diet when I went Primal because I was not taking in enough and was getting Low Blood pressure issues... so unless you have high blood pressure sodium should not be an issue
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

well I guess ANYTHIING goes...! cream cheese is definitely a food that makes things taste divine...and it doesn't take much...... it makes the sardines just that much yummier by slightly warming...and I use that bit of butter just because I like that taste.... let me know what you end up trying. I love sardines because there is a dozen instant meals in the pantry...all ready to go, when other meat isn't thawed or not handy. :-)

ugotllamad is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by chia View Post
    well I guess ANYTHIING goes...! cream cheese is definitely a food that makes things taste divine...and it doesn't take much...... it makes the sardines just that much yummier by slightly warming...and I use that bit of butter just because I like that taste.... let me know what you end up trying. I love sardines because there is a dozen instant meals in the pantry...all ready to go, when other meat isn't thawed or not handy. :-)
    Also check out Mark's sardine salad in one of his cookbooks. I think it is in the appetizer/snack section. It involves toasted pine nuts, shallots, and a lemon butter dressing. Just enjoyed this one the other night! I used canned sardines with bone and skin. Still tasted great!