Thread: Anxiety through the roof page

huntingBears is offline Senior Member

Anxiety through the roof

Primal Fuel
    I used to suffer from anxiety but lately it's come back and gone through the roof, i think my depression has come back too which is bad times
    I've yet to crack this diet and seem to be getting ill a lot which i've narrowed down to possibly poor quality meat from the butchers left too long in the fridge before cooking
    I've also started cooking just egg yolks without the whites as ive read a few threads about lectins in the white
    I also fasted most of today and only ate a few spoonfuls of coconut oil, some rice/prawns/chicken/vegetables for dinner, and i just ate some bacon fried in butter and an egg yolk and i feel a bit better
    Should I start supplimenting magnesium? I don't see how we can get our RDAs of vits and mins when IFing (which seems to be most of the time for people at least one meal a day)
    How do we get our RDA from the food without supplimentation if we are only eating 2 meals a day?
    Bit of a rambling post, sorry, still trying to crack this thing, easter holiday coming up so 3 weeks away from uni to get pure primal!!
    If man made it, don't eat it

activia is offline Senior Member
    Hmmmm it could be a lot of things I suppose. I would suggest listening to this podcast.

Episode 9 – the “gut-brain axis”

"In this episode we discuss the gut-brain axis: the relationship between digestive health and cognitive function, memory, depression, anxiety and other mental and behavioral health issues. We cover:

the basic physiology involved
    how inflammation in the gut affects the brain
    how decreased brain activity compromises gut function
    how to recognize the signs and symptoms of gut-brain axis dysfunction
    studies demonstrating gut-brain dysfunction and its effects on health
    dietary and lifestyle modifications to improve gut-brain function.

I think the gut-brain axis is one of the most important and least recognized factors in human health. If you follow a good diet (Paleo, Primal, Perfect Health Diet, etc.) and you’re still experiencing gut symptoms, it’s likely you have a gut-brain axis issue."
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Thanks, I'll have a listen to the podcast, I do have digestive problems so hopefully sorting them out will help

activia is offline Senior Member
    Yes time to fix up your gut Grok On!
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I had some pretty rough months with anxiety myself, but eating this way and getting back into strength training seems to have helped.

I also got a lot of relief from magnesium supplemenation (magnesium citrate), 5htp and L-Theanine.

Swanson Ultra 5-HTP Extra Strength 100 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products
    Swanson Ultra Suntheanine L-Theanine 100 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products
    NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate 200 mg 250 Tabs - Swanson Health Products

You might also want to check out Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas as it goes into mental health from a paleo diet perspective.

I can't say everything in the book is spot on, but she does have a lot of good information, interspersed with some questionable stuff.

cheers guys yea hopefully my gut will sort itself out on this diet, i also added some of those supplements to my amazon wishlist, bit skint at the moment but magnesium seems pretty important so might get that one asap

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if you're anxiety includes panic attacks, but the principle illustrated below really worked well for me.
    Unfortunately, though it stopped my acute attacks, I still had a lot of generalized anxiety left over.

The technique below is ripped off from the Linden Method, but still very helpful.

This funny video below is the essence of the attitude that I embraced. It also helped crack me up every time.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    I'm not sure if you're anxiety includes panic attacks, but the principle illustrated below really worked well for me.
    Unfortunately, though it stopped my acute attacks, I still had a lot of generalized anxiety left over.

The technique below is ripped off from the Linden Method, but still very helpful.

This funny video below is the essence of the attitude that I embraced. It also helped crack me up every time.

I had issues with panic attacks, and using some logical thinking and CBT based steps did wonders for helping me, and the "Fuck you panic!" attitude certainly helps in some situations. Your anxiety and panic only has as much power over you as you give it, and some simple and readily available exercises and lifestyle changes can be great in helping most people with their issues.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine