Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiber: The ULTIMATE Antinutrient of all page

wiltondeportes Guest

Fiber: The ULTIMATE Antinutrient of all

I am a huge fan of the book "Fiber Menace". It has helped me remove issues I was still having while being on a 'primal/paleo' diet. To be specific, hard stools, digestive issues (possibly early stage IBS), and various other things.

Mark talks about grains and legumes. He says raw milk (if I remember correctly) and not pasteurized.

This guy, Konstantin Monastyrsky, has a different story. Fiber is the biggest misconception in the Western diet. He proposes going to a low-fiber diet by eliminating high-fiber foods. He also says to avoid hard-to-digest proteins gluten and casein because we lack the proper enzymes. Grains and legumes have huge amounts of fiber, so he is basically saying avoid grains, legumes, and dairy (unless fermented to break down the proteins). He talks about hard water instead of tap, bottled, or purified water. He talks about how people are also on the overhydration path and do not need to drink 8 glasses every day. There's many more aspects, but I will let you read his book/website.

The base of his work is claiming gut health is the root cause of practically everything. Everything from IBS and the autoimmune disorders that follow, to diabetes, heart disease, colon cancer, impotence, etc etc etc. It is not FAT or CARB that is killing people with these diseases nearly as much as it is FIBER. The high fiber foods, primarily involving grains, just happen to be high in carbohydrate. The secondary factors, legumes and hard-to-digest-casein-loaded dairy, are also high in carbohydrate. Once again, macronutrients has completely failed in attempt to understand our metabolism.

When you strain through all the information, you will realize that you can still be very unhealthy while eating primal if you consume too much fiber. I don't know all his figures but; I should be no higher than mid 30s as a 21 year old, and my 54 year old uncle is supposed to be no higher than 30.

I truly encourage you to read the book. At the very least, go through his website: gutsense.org. Read all the links on it, and your eyes will open.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I should also add that, through piecing together various aspects of ancient humans, this fits PERFECTLY. "Catching Fire" is another book that explains how our bodies evolved to be what they are. We evolved to have smaller digestive systems than our vegetarian ape brothers because we learned how to "pre-digest" food by cooking it. The book goes into the discovery of fire and how we became capable of cultural evolution instead of physical evolution through new communication abilities. Basically, we evolved not by eating bigass salads or fiber-rich foods. We evolved by doing what we could to eliminate fiber and other antinutrients through preparation or simply avoidance. (And of course, we became meat eaters)

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Sounds a lot like what Taubes covers in his Good Calories Bad Calories chapter on Fiber - which I just started reading last night. I will have to take a gander at this book.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I read Fiber Menace after a nasty stay in the ER a while back. It just plain makes sense.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, and I don't follow anything very well, but I will say that I learned a lot and it helped me make changes that were quite obviously for the better.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I was eating primally for 1 year already and , like you, also still had digestive issues.

Fiber Menace was THE book that finally healed my intestines. At the time I found MDA it seemed that Mark focused heavily on vegetables and so I bought TONS, and ate them with my daily meals. The hard and inconsistent stools were very discouraging. Everything else was being healed, my lower back pain, my rheumatoid arthritis, my headaches, my poor nail and hair health, etc...but not my digestion. Sure instead of taking 3 weeks to finally take a dump, it now only took 5 or 6 days, things were slightly improved....but where are those normal daily bowel movements everyone was talking aobut!!!

I did more research, stumbled upon Fiber Menace, stopped eating ALL fibrous veggies (kale, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflour, etc), peeled my apples and tomatos and BINGO !!!!
    Haven't looked back since.

On a side note: excessive calcium and not enough magnesium puts the colon asleep and causes constipation symptoms (not hard stools, just slow bowel movements). I used to drink 2-3 gallons of raw goats milk a week and my colon (and my brain) were pretty much asleep the whole time...lol. Now, when I have my occassional glass of milk, I always take it with a Magnesium supplement.

Fiber Menace saved my ass, literally.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I have NO doubt that the gut is related to MANY thousands of modern diseases.. Fiber can be tough on the gut, although not as tough as gluten.

I really suggest you all listen to this:

http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-...cast-episode-9

"In this episode we discuss the gut-brain axis: the relationship between digestive health and cognitive function, memory, depression, anxiety and other mental and behavioral health issues. We cover:

the basic physiology involved
    how inflammation in the gut affects the brain
    how decreased brain activity compromises gut function
    how to recognize the signs and symptoms of gut-brain axis dysfunction
    studies demonstrating gut-brain dysfunction and its effects on health
    dietary and lifestyle modifications to improve gut-brain function.

I think the gut-brain axis is one of the most important and least recognized factors in human health. If you follow a good diet (Paleo, Primal, Perfect Health Diet, etc.) and youíre still experiencing gut symptoms, itís likely you have a gut-brain axis issue."
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I neither avoid nor do I pursue "fiber" in the food I eat. And, if you are trying to sell me something, the quickest way to get me to tune out it to cite the ridiculously high # of grams of fiber. I figure if there's that much fiber in it, it sure as hell didn't happen naturally...

But, there's more than one kind of fiber - soluble and insoluble. I think the adding of massive amounts of fiber to food products usually goes back to it being added insoluble fiber. Here's Mark's take on things:

Fun With Fiber: The Real Scoop | Mark's Daily Apple
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    "Catching Fire" is another book that explains how our bodies evolved to be what they are. We evolved to have smaller digestive systems than our vegetarian ape brothers because we learned how to "pre-digest" food by cooking it.
    I just finished this one as well. It's definitely a good primal read.
    I think I might just have to pick up a copy of Fiber Menace, but first I have to finish Man the Hunted.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I have NO doubt that the gut is related to MANY thousands of modern diseases.. Fiber can be tough on the gut, although not as tough as gluten.
    I'm not necessarily arguing with this. I can't say one way or another. However, gluten always comes with high doses of fiber. Gluten is only present in wheat. Eating beans or other grains or huge salads don't contain the gluten, but they contain the fiber that messes you up just as much.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Several other grains also contain gluten like rye, barley, etc. In fact, I'd just read that there's more than one type of gluten and the type of gluten when people say gluten actually generally means gliadin and that *all* grains actually contain some form of gluten, just not gliadin.

Also, I thought there was actually three types of fiber.
    Soluble
    Insoluble
    Resistant starch

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast