Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Boyfriend Says Were Eaters page

CanadianGirl is offline Junior Member

My Boyfriend Says Were Eaters

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I am just starting this life style and am really excited.

I have been overweight since i was really young. According to my mom any way. When I look back at pictures from junior high and early high school, I am pretty sure I was not actually fat. Maybe I wasn't tiny but I wasn't fat. I played lots of sports and was very active. We had to walk up hill both ways to school you know... In high school my Dad couldn't work anymore and our house went from eating ok to buying the cheapest food possible, processed and high in fat(vegetable oils) and carbs.

Then college happened and it was bad, I spent my student loan in the food court, some people party, I ate. I ate till I was 250 pounds. That's about a 40 pound gain in 8 months. I was not active anymore and it showed.

Then began the YO YO dieting. I did atkins and dropped, 25 or 30 pounds then went back to "Normal" eating. I would crash diet(sometimes due to lack of funds) on and off to maintain the 225-230 weight. I was happy at that weight, I never felt unhealthy or unattractive. I know that sounds odd, but I didn't look in the mirror and see a fat person. I generally have pretty good self confidence.

When I met my now fiance (we will call him G) I was around 250, and not feeling as hot as I have before. And together we gained weight, we ate out all the time and were not very active. I was 265 pounds when my mom begged me to try HCG. And we did, both of us lost a ton of weight in 40 days, eating only 500 calories per day. I was down to 235 pounds and feeling great. Funny thing is when you go off the drops, your body acts like it was starving for a month and you can never get full.

So here I am a always starving, fast food addict. Well you can imagine what happened. On Jan 3.2012 I was 275 pounds.

Then I got us going on weight watchers. Portion control and points. I did really well at first, i dropped 10 pounds in 2 months. Then the weight loss stopped. I stayed the same weight. G was a closet eater, and never lost much, and was always in for cheating. He just wasn't made for portion control.

In late January I was listening to weight loss pod casts and heard about the Paleo diet and then I heard it again, so I started looking into it. I subscribed to Latest In Paleo and was blown away. I just couldn't believe how wrong conventional wisdom is. I looked into success stories and once again couldn't believe the transformations. I want a Grok body too!

We talked about it, ALOT. G wanted to make sure this wasn't just another fad diet we were going on and I had to convince him I saw this as long term. G said OK, and I started gradually making changes to what we are eating. I lost 2 more pounds. On Sunday we began the 21 day transformation. I am losing weight already and feeling great. G is really happy because he is never hungry, he can eat as much as he wants as long as its on the list, and he is loving it.

This morning I weighed in at 259. 3 pounds down in 3 days.

So this is how it all began. I am really excited for this lifestyle. No more junk chemical food and grain reactions. On Saturday, the night before we started, we were at a friends and he made home made pizza, I got on the scale the next morning and I gained 5 pounds! It was a affirmation for me; Grain bad, meat good.
    CanadianGirl
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Following. I myself gained quite a bit of weight in my time at college and was pretty big. I've lost over 100 pounds since late July, so I'll testify Primal works. Hope you see the results sooner rather than later

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Yes, the more believe that grains are bad and animal foods are good, the easier it will be. Don't listen to those who try to steer you back to "balance" etc- a lot of people don't understand the primal diet. But great to hear it is working for you.

I love pizza having started dabbling with it a few years ago- totally bad news.
    This article is about wheat but it probably explains the ill effects of most grains:
    Nails in the coffin | Wheat Belly Blog

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

One comment: G may want to be a little cautious about this approach "G is really happy because he is never hungry, he can eat as much as he wants as long as its on the list". As long as he's losing body fat it's all good, but he may find that eventually he'll need to reign it in a little. Or, he's just finding that eating this way just helps him fell fuller quicker and longer, which is also good. Just gotta remember that just because something is on "the list" doesn't mean that it's a free for all
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks! I don't think he is eating "to much" trying to get him to his needed protein is a lot of food though, judging from what he needs according to the book, its a lot more food then counting points. Its hard not to feel like were cheating.
    CanadianGirl

Have you tried some of the Paleo pizza recipes? I am leaving the wheat belly site up on G's computer. I am still not sure he believes me that all the bread he used to eat (8-12 pieces a day..) is why he has the belly. But he will see
    CanadianGirl

Today is one week primal! Woo Hoo

New things I tried this week... Buffalo Burger and well I am not so sure I am ever going to like it. G likes it so I am sure I will have to eat it again sometime.

Last night I searched the net for some awesome paleo recipes. Not super brave yet, and the recipes I chose all resemble the food we used to eat. Like jambalaya, one of our faves. We discovered the cauliflower rice this weekend and am super excited to be able to add that into a couple things. It really is super good, we had it with garlic, dill, and butter last night, it was just like potatos, but only 11 carbs for a huge serving.

Went to the farmers Markets in Calgary today. We are looking around to find the best one. But we got great things at both, so this means more stops every Sunday. We got these chicken breast that were giant. I have never seen them so big. And a great price per pound. I am blown away by how affordable free range can be if you know where to look. At the other marker there is this awesome shop that has a freezer full of free range beef and cheaper then a grocery store. We walked away with so much food, I really am not sure how its all supposed to be eaten this week. I even did the meal plan and only got what we needed. It must be the multiple veggies per meal.

Embarrassing moment of the week. So we are at the BIG market and its huge, its not just food but booth after booth of random stuff. I have to use the little girls room so bad. And we finally find them, I hurry in. I am washing my hands and in the Mirror I see a urinal and a there is a man. Then click. I ran out of there so fast. I am sure my face is 10 shades of red. I hope no one noticed.

This week I had mostly decent energy, but I crash at the end of the work day. I get cranky and my staff I am sure are like what the hell. I get out of there fast at the end of the day. I have some beef jerky for the drive home, so when I get home I am mostly better. Lucky G, when I am grumpy I become this depressing fatalist, that g has named Doomy Gloomy.

Having some issues with the going outside part of Primal. The weather here is not terrible, but its not really nice. I at least try to do more active things at work. Lifting heavy stock and stuff like that. It makes my Stock Manager laugh when I ask her to give me something heavy to do. My staff think its really neat how I am eating. They are really good now about not offering me food anymore. Just have to contend with the chips and chocolate my team leave all over the place. Big hooray for me, we got cake for a staff members birthday this week. And I am proud to say i had none!

I feel like I am always eating and eating till I am full. The neat thing, dont know if it is good or bad is the calories we are eating. They are low. I have the fitness pal app and it shows me calories and protein, fat, vitamin level for the day and calories are 200 - 300 below my recommended calories for weight loss. I feel like I must be missing something, but I am even including the bacon fat in our cooking and the butter.

Skin is not zit free yet, but G reminds me it has only been a week and not to expect miracles overnight. The only miracle I am hoping for is my hair to fill out again. I have been really thin on top for 7 years and its one of things I am very conscious about. I have heard on some forums that a few people have had their hair come back, so everyone cross your fingers for me.

Got some great coconut milk soap today, and some fragrance oil. Trying to figure out what the best hair care system is for me. I currently use a chemical filled product for thin hair, but am pretty convinced thats not Paleo at all. If you have any thoughts let me know.
    CanadianGirl

9 days primal and in love.

This week I picked out a ton of recipes from the internet so all week we have something new to try, and yikes the food is just amazing. I made this thai beef in coconut milk with tons of added veggies last night and I was licking the bowl. I just could not get enough of it.

Tuesday night I had to work, so G was in charge of making some food for himself and lunches for the next day. He called me every half hour, wondering where all the spices were ( my spices are not labeled). And then he calls me, and says.. So since were doing this for the rest of our life we are going to need a food processor, I am going to go buy one. And last night he did all the veggie chopping, if you can call it that. And even today I was whipping up some stuff to make home made barbecue sauce, I asked him which blade to use, and his advice is this... Step aside, this is a mans job. Anything that gets him in the kitchen get a A+ from me.

Went for a long walk yesterday, and it was nice. We have canals in our neighbourhood with great walking paths and there is an area with no houses where we let the dogs go off leash. We are super lucky to have such a great walk just outside our door. I listen to paleo and health podcasts a ton, and found one for our walk last night and it was about magnesium. It was on Underground Wellness, and it blew my mind. Magnesium is related to just about every good thing that happens in your body, and most of us are deficient. Needless to say G and I went and got Chelated Magnesium from our local health store. Also picked up some flax seed oil. Way more good stuff in a teaspoon of oil then in the pills. I was comparing them and blown away. I am just hoping it doesnt taste to bad.

G and I were given a gift to Vegas for our birthdays this year. Gary is turning 30 and his dad is really excited. He is a only kid so he gets perks. Starting to really wonder what I am going to eat while we are there. Any paleo folks with some Vegas advice out there. I am worried I am going to be sick the whole time going from high quality everything to restaurant food. We have 3 weeks till we go, so while most people will research what to do, i will be looking for where to eat. Plus side of Vegas is all the activity. Lots and lots of slow movement. It is our first time there and we are there for a entire week. Maybe i should pack George forman so we can make some eats in the room.

I am scale obsessed. I keep thinking how amazing it would be if I could get below 250 for vegas. Like I am going to have way more fun at that weight. Its just going to be way better at 249 then 250. Brains are fun. They dont always listen to common sense. One side of my brain knows it not going to make a difference and they are fighting. I get on the scale every morning and every night. I justify it by saying, this is how I know what to eat and not to eat. If I dont lose weight or I gain, then I know something I ate today is not right right for me. I lost 3 ish pounds this week, so my digital scale does show me the little changes. I dont measure, but my belt is getting too big, so I must be losing inches too.

Got a new organic shampoo, was really different with the first wash, and hair had a freak out, second wash was better though, and hair is soft. Seems like the product buildup on my scalp is going away. Coconut oil is great for curly hair as a de frizzer. And the coconut soap makes my skin super soft.

I am in love with all parts of this lifestyle. And am so I happy we found it!
    Last edited by CanadianGirl; 03-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    CanadianGirl

16 days primal, weight loss almost non existent this week.

Still in love with the food and eating well. G is losing weight, about 2 pounds a week, I have lost .4 in the last week. I am super impatient, I want to look fabulous tomorrow. I am going to do a leptin reset when we come back from Vegas. Before we found primal we had listened to an awesome pod cast on leptin, and how your body has a weight memory. And if you lose more then 10% of your weight, your body wants to go back to where its weight memory is set. And for me I guess that it would be currently set at around 275. Seems to reset really easy when you are going up in weight, going down no so much. So because I have lost around 20lbs since Jan, maybe my body is being resistant to more loss, or maybe I am making excuses. Either way its an interesting concept and will be doing the reset for sure. If anyone has had similar experiences some advice would be great.

Energy level is good. Not tons, but good. This work week so far has been very stressful. I love my job, but sometimes you have to handle some tough situations. And you would just like to tell people how you really feel about their behaviours, but no, legally its black and white, that's it. Stupid laws, I am sure in primal time you could say how you really feel, and have very little repercussions. Or possibly those people would not have made it to adult hood, survival of the fittest and all. lol

G is in love with the dark chocolate allowance, so when we were at the market we picked up goji berries and coffee beans covered in dark chocolate. They are super good, and we are not eating a ton of them a day. But I read the ingredients and the first ingredient is sugar. I guess those need to be given away now. I totally get more food cravings when I eat simple sugars. I have used raw honey in some recipes and never noticed an affect. But its a lot harder after you have a couple goji berries to stop eating them. Interesting that the response is so quick.

Been walking more lately, we have had some really nice days, so we get out walking for an hour or so every other day. My work is lots of moving slowly, and I can lift heavy things every day if I want. Dog food is great for that. People likely think I am crazy because i am always lifting it over my head. But I can feel I am getting stronger for sure. We have a treadmill so I have been sprinting on there twice a week. Not ready to do it outside, I don't want people to laugh at me, as I am only able to sprint for 45 seconds at this point. I can also go bare foot on the treadmill, so I would like to get some minimalist shoes for running outside. My current runners have a thick heal and are exactly what primal says running shoes shouldn't be. Will be checking them out in Vegas, everyone says everything is really cheap there, so we will see.

Had Pho on the weekend, and that didn't go over well. We had sushi the previous weekend and had no adverse affect, even with the free tempura shrimp they were handing out. But the Pho made me retain a ton of water, and I was really cranky the next morning after a terrible sleep. G came in the room while I was getting ready to head to the farmers market, and asked what was wrong. I just said I was mega bitchy, and pho was out. At least we still have sushi.

Here in Canada the ground is still frozen and a lot of our veggies have to be imported. I have noticed that some of the veggies are the same brand as the grocery store, and not in the organic section of the grocery store. So I guess that means its not all organic like I had assumed. If we ate based on what our region provided all we would eat all winter is meat. And more meat. Does anyone have any advise on how to make sure you are buying organic at a farmers market, in the summer it will be easy, but for right now I have no idea what I am eating. I don't want to go back to the grocery store, where it is at least labeled. Will if I have to I guess.
    Last edited by CanadianGirl; 04-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    CanadianGirl

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    I'm enjoying following you. Keep up the good work and good luck in Vegas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast