Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut...yuck page

shawnx is offline Junior Member

Coconut...yuck

Shop Now
    So I've been reading the blog and some of the recipes and noticed that coconut products seem to be in a lot of stuff. Coconut milk, coconut oil, etc...

What do you do if you don't like coconut?

I'll admit that my only experience with coconut has been shaved coconut on candy bars, donuts etc... (before going primal of course), and I've heard that fresh coconut is different and WAY better so I'm hoping that the coconut products talked about on the blog and in the recipes will be more palatable for me.

Can anyone else who doesn't (or didn't) like the taste of coconut let me know what to expect? If I go out and buy some coconut milk or coconut oil, etc... will it be like tasting Coconut for the first time?
    Last edited by shawnx; 03-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Fresh coconut and coconut chips are much much better than the dessicated sprinkly stuff.
    But the milk and oil make me ill

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    i don't really notice the coconut taste.....sometimes cooked coconut oil tastes "soapy" to me...coconut flour for SURE can have a soapy/weird taste
    there are brands of coconut oil that are completely tasteless/odorless...i am not sure if they are "as good" for you tho since maybe the taste/fragrance has been refined out of it?

forgot about the milk...i don't notice coconut taste in either the carton or can variety

i never liked stuff like german choc cake frosting or mounds bars but i did like pina colada type smoothies/drinks

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    I'm not of a huge fan of coconut either. A bit of flavor occasionally is ok, but that is it. If you use expeller pressed coconut oil you can get the health benefits without the heavy flavor.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

activia is offline Senior Member
    eh. I've always hated coconut shavings on anything.... that includes candy bars, and cakes.

Coconut oil makes me want to puke when I smell it melting on a pan. I can tolerate something cooked in it as the coconut taste is mild..as long as I didnt use a lot of it and there is some strong other flavors. I can't even imagine scooping some out and putting it directly in my mouth.

Coconut flour is tolerable. I made some coconut pancakes... I did have to use a fair amount of maple syrup. It wasnt like regular pancakes where I could eat them with no syrup... I could taste the coconut but it was mild. Not something I was jumping up and down for.

Coconut rum shot, I was horrified and almost puked...

There were these kale chips that used coconut oil and maple syrup from whole foods. They weren't bad. I could taste the coconut but they were edible.

So I think the big thing with me and coconut was always the texture, but none of the things above have the shaven coconut texture... so obviously I also have an aversion to the taste. However eating a mild coconut flavor with lots of flavors I do like without the horrible texture seems to be helping me slowly start to develop a taste for it (at least to the point were its edible)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I love me some coconut oil/water. Coconut milk is an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    If I can barely stand expressed coconut oil and flour, I will not even dare venture into coconut milk yet................. LOL
    Primal since March 2011

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    hahaha i am the opposite.....i had to "get used" to coconut water...and even then it depends on the brand

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    A serious question, one that most paleo dieters tend to face more with organ meats, liver, heart, kidney, marrow etc. I'm kind of neutral to positive on coconut taste, but I've been eating liver and heart, despite a strong aversion to their taste. I'm counting on two things to get me through. 1) masking the taste as much as possible by mixing with other foods and adding spices and 2) developing or acquiring a taste, which is very normal. You might need some patience and perserverance for this, but I think it is worth it. Coconut is a highly nutritious, inexpensive food source and is one of the few good oils out there.

As far as acquiring a taste I had this experience with 90% cacao dark chocolate. Always hated the stuff, but since I started eating it every day and eliminated highly sugared chocolates the 90% cacao is tasting better and better to me every day. I'm training my body to like it, or my body is training me, I'm not sure which.
    Last edited by dbalch; 03-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    A serious question, one that most paleo dieters tend to face more with organ meats, liver, heart, kidney, marrow etc. I'm kind of neutral to positive on coconut taste, but I've been eating liver and heart, despite a strong aversion to their taste. I'm counting on two things to get me through. 1) masking the taste as much as possible by mixing with other foods and adding spices and 2) developing or acquiring a taste, which is very normal. You might need some patience and perserverance for this, but I think it is worth it. Coconut is a highly nutritious, inexpensive food source and is one of the few good oils out there.

As far as acquiring a taste I had this experience with 90% cacao dark chocolate. Always hated the stuff, but since I started eating it every day and eliminated highly sugared chocolates the 90% cacao is tasting better and better to me every day. I'm training my body to like it, or my body is training me, I'm not sure which.
    Yes and the best way to acquire a taste to something is with adding lots of fat/sugar...or BOTH. This is tied to that whole food reward system... Which is why I dont mind adding lots of maple syrup to help me acquire a taste to coconut. You need to connect it to your primal body which is tuned to finding good sources of fat and sugar...
    Primal since March 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast