Thread: Just starting out in Indiana page

shawnx is offline Junior Member

Just starting out in Indiana

Shop Now
    Hi!

I found out about Primal Blueprint from listening to Mark's interview on the Peter Schiff show. I think it's an older interview but I just heard/saw it on Youtube a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, it sounded perfect for me.

I've never been a dieter, I was a very skinny from childhood to early adulthood so there was never a need. In my early 20s, I was a very slim 120 lbs. Now in my mid 30s and after quitting smoking at 29, I gained a lot of weight, and fast. I went from 135 lbs to 170 lbs in 3 months! I'm only 5' 7" so that's a lot of weight for me. I maxed out last year at 180, and was 175 when I started the primal blueprint a week and a half ago.

I'm just starting to learn everything, and I haven't gotten the book yet, but I plan to in the near future. So far, I've just been going off the blog here and learning as I go. My wife is doing the diet with me and she's done Atkins before and it seems similar so she's been a big help.

For exercise, we're doing a 2 mile daily walk, which is is good for me since I sit at a desk all day. I plan to add some weight lifting to my routine soon.

Here's what I've been eating, let me know what you think.

Breakfast: Most of the time I skip. When I do eat breakfast it's usually eggs (boiled or scrambled with cheese) and bacon.

Lunch: Usually a salad with romaine lettuce, boiled eggs, tomatoes, green olives, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and ranch dressing.

Dinner: Some kind of meat, steak or chicken usually and a salad just like the one I make for lunch.

Snacks: Pistachios and beef jerky

Pretty boring so far I know, but it's a start. I did download the free member cook book and made the grilled chicken recipe and it was VERY tasty! I plan to start making more stuff out of the cook book and buying Mark's cook book soon to add some variety!

So far, I'm loving my primal adventure! It's actually not been hard for me to give up the grains which is surprising to me since I love pasta and bread!
    Last edited by shawnx; 03-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.

HavMom is offline Junior Member
    Welcome! There are at least a few Primal Hoosiers. Learning to forage primally is an adventure and ongoing learning process. We are from Kouts, IN (I had to look up Fortville, too). We have found a place that sells good meat, but supply and variety is often limited. Therefore we still rely on the grocery store sometimes. We figure cutting out the grains and most of the sugar is a major health benefit. Aside from our 80-90% little chocolate squares, we don't do sugar at all. Check out the library. They may have Mark's books or at least one of them. Mike and I have both lost 25# since last summer and that's eating great stuff and never being hungry!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff, Shawn! I'm from IN but live in IL now. The diet doesn't look boring...looks pretty tasty! One thought--if you don't find yourself coming around as you thought (in terms of body composition, I won't say weight), consider cutting out the dairy for a while. To some people it makes a big difference, not others though. I had a bit of a slump weeks 2-3, but am a little over a month in and feeling great, better than I have in years, and I'm 47.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    It looks like you're off to a good start! I love my nice long walks...I'm up to over 8 miles now (weather permitting...I'm not that Grok yet) and it's a great way to clear my mind.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

shawnx is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm getting ready to make more of the grilled chicken and also some of the spicy chicken and bacon poppers. The poppers look like they'll be very tasty!

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Spent 12 year in Lafayette, so seeing the word Indiana will always catch my eye.

Welcome aboard! Stick with it, it's worth it!
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html