Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gives? page

Joara is offline Junior Member

What gives?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I no longer eat pasta, grains, diet coke. The three main things that caused a problem in my former diet I have cut out. Yet my scale continues to say I am not loosing, I'm holding steady with an additional pound once in a while. I walk on a more regular basis...not daily but at least 3 days a week. I have limited my dairy, eat meats, veggis and fruits yet nothing seems to be happening. I feel like I get full faster but confused as to why my scale stays the same...granted it is a cheap $6 scale from Family Dollar lol. Should I ignore the scale.

What should I do?

Avalon is offline Junior Member
    There are a few things to think about:

1) Yeah, cheap scale... check that.
    2) Make sure you're also cutting out SUGARS as well. If ketosis is what you want, be careful of the sugars found in fruits and other natural starches. Still good for you, just limited quantities.
    3) Start doing more than walking if you haven't already. I'm in a plateau phase right now as well (30lbs down, 20 more to go) and am going to be focusing a lot more on my "lift heavy things" and "run for your life" sessions.

Also, just don't get discouraged. Sometimes your body needs to heal a bunch of other systems inside itself before it gets to (or back to) weight loss. I know my first week SUCKED when I cut out sugar, and I had zero weight loss to show for it, but my skin cleared up in about three days. Sometimes you've just got other stuff to work out.

Good luck!
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Joara is offline Junior Member
    Also can I take CLA while on this diet? Conjugated Lenolic Acid.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joara View Post
    Also can I take CLA while on this diet? Conjugated Lenolic Acid.
    If you eat plenty of eggs and grass-fed animal meats, you probably wouldnt. What made you take that anyway ? It can have bad side effects including an increased chance of diabetes.
    But Im no doctor!!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a food log or can you tell us what and when you eat during the day typically?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Weight from a scale is not an accurate measure of health. Ditch the scale, focus on measurements and (if possible) body fat %.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    The scale is a ridiculous way to track progress. I use one out of pure curiosity, but I fully realize that weight doesn't mean much. Take measurements, take pictures, go by how your clothes fit. In the past month I have lost only a couple of pounds, but the pants I bought a month ago are falling off! Hang in there and be patient with your body. Like Avalon said, there is much healing to be done!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

SugarBritches is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

Also, just don't get discouraged. Sometimes your body needs to heal a bunch of other systems inside itself before it gets to (or back to) weight loss. I know my first week SUCKED when I cut out sugar, and I had zero weight loss to show for it, but my skin cleared up in about three days. Sometimes you've just got other stuff to work out.

Good luck!
    So glad you posted this! Like the OP, I'm also really bummed about not losing and my perfectionist mentality had me ready to quit. It's been 8 days of no grains, sugar, fruit and I have only lost 2 pounds (1 of which was back this morning). But I just keep reminding myself that I'm feeling better. I just noticed yesterday that acne I've had on my chest for as long as I can remember is completely gone! And I have lost an inch from my waist and have more energy. I resolved today to not weigh myself for a while and just focus on eating for wellness. Eventually, if I am eating whole Primal foods and not SAD foods, while maintaining a moderate exercise/activity level, some weight *has* to come off. (Right? RIGHT!?) Even if it's only a few pounds and it takes a year, it will be worth it.

rkd80 is offline Member
    What about exercise? I am not seeing that anywhere. How about sprinting once a week?

billp is offline Senior Member
    I do see fruit (sugar) in what you eat every day, and I don't see animal fats.

Since I started doing this I have had periods of weight loss and periods of stability. I have always found the stability periods have coincided with eating dietary sugars (inc. fruit) and higher carb, including wheat. I still do eat dietary sugars and carbs from time to time because I think I need to (not wheat normally, seems to be addictive), but actual weight loss spells have always been low carb/sugar and lots of meat and fat. Veg is a constant, as is animal fats.
    Last edited by billp; 03-22-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Clarification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast