Thread: Guar Gum and Xanthan Gum? page

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member

Guar Gum and Xanthan Gum?

Shop Now
    These two ingredients are used often in recpes for gluten free products and I have seen guar gum listed for years on commercial products. So what is the primal stance on them?

"Guar gum comes from the endosperm of the seed of the legume plant Cyamopsis tetragonolobus. Cyamopsis tetragonolobus is an annual plant, grown in arid regions of India as a food crop for animals."

"Xanthun Gum comes from corn and it is a slimy gel produced by the bacterium Xanthomonas campestris, which causes black rot on cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli. The slime protects the bacterium from viruses, and prevents it from drying out."

patski is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've read that guar gum can irritate your gut, especially if you already have some gut issues (candida, IBS, etc). I try my best to avoid it. It's a stabilizer often added to coconut milk to keep it from separating.

Wow, xanthun gum sounds scary! Someone else will have to chime in about that!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.