Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - NeoPaleo page

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - NeoPaleo

Primal Fuel

Ok, so I'm going to start journaling my eating and activities. Mainly to help keep me on track food-wise (feel free to heckle remorselessly if I stray without good reason!), but also to maybe help others out just by being able to see one person's approach.

So, for today (Sat, June 27):

B - 4 eggs, scrambled, 1-1.5 cups strawberries and blueberries, yerba mate (a kind of tea from South America).

L - Large salad (lots of lettuce, cucumber, a carrot, half an avocado, few cherry tomatoes, a few dried currents), topped with a can of tuna, and as a dressing, olive oil and oregano.

S -Handful of almonds, cup of coffee with a tiny splash of milk and a wee bit of sugar, and a small piece of dark chocolate (I'm currently trying to eliminate coffee altogether - I'm down to once a day now - once I eliminate it, I won't have any more use for dairy or sugar).

D - Chicken breast wrapped in bacon, brussels sprouts (about 14 I think), small salad with olive oil and balsamic.

S - 1-1.5 cups strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. About 10 almonds.

Between breakfast and lunch I went to a local park and did some bare-foot trail running. About 3 miles worth of sprinting, jogging and walking. I've just started doing a lot more bare-foot and I'm loving it. This was the first time doing the whole 3 mile loop bare-foot. Previously I'd start out w/ shoes, then take them off about half-way through. My feet are certainly getting stronger and tougher. Then, to wash all the mud off I waded along the creek there at the park. Lots of small and medium stones gave my foot muscles a workout - they're still sore.

Conan Guest

Looks like a solid day. What are your goals?

Goals?? Um... er... good question. I guess just to be as fit and healthy as I can. I've been eating pretty healthy (well, by CW standards) and I've been pretty active for years now (gym, trail running, a little bit of capoeira, mountain biking, hiking, skiing, trying to learn to surf, playing games on the beach, that kind of stuff) - so I'm in decent shape already, but I'd love to loose the last bit of fat (5-10 lbs?) around my mid section and get a bit stronger in general. I don't play any organized sports or practice any martial art or anything, I'm just really attracted to the whole primal lifestyle from a philosophical viewpoint.

I've been a web-programmer (freelance) for years, but am currently studying for a personal training certification. I can't stand sitting around all day - I need to move! Just a couple weeks ago I found out about Erwan Le Corre and movnat.com and I'd love to be able to get involved with that somehow.

Conan Guest

Do you lift heavy weights infrequently? That might really help you drop the last few pounds.

I lift 2 or 3 times a week. Usually 3. Mostly big compounds - squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.

Although I've been eating "mostly" primal for the last month or so, I think I've been cheating too much. That's one reason I want to keep a journal here - a bit of peer pressure.

Conan Guest

Well you are doing everything right with diet and excercise. I know that my cheat days really derailed my weight loss efforts until I started spreading them out. Instead of once/week I tried to only cheat once every couple of weeks. It also helps to modify your cheat days from a massive beer/pizza binge to maybe a moderately sized meal at your favorite ethnic restaurant or a giant sandwich from Quizno's. Something that still has some nutritional value and a few less carbs/calories.

For today (Sunday, June 28):

B - 4 scrambled eggs, a small bowl of berries

L - A can of anchovies in olive oil and a big salad

S - Coffee with a splash of milk and pinch of sugar (damn sugar!!), and a small piece of dark chocolate.

D - Organic spare ribs BBQ (at my parents house - the sauce had some sugar in it, but at least no HFCS), green beens, small salad with olive oil & balsamic.

S - A small bowl of berries.

No exercise today as I got a decent amount the last 3 days. My foot and calf muscles were sore from yesterday's barefoot run and creek walking. But good-sore!!

I ate so many ribs. I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll probably not want breakfast.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a good day. Have you ever tried stevia? I use it in place of sugar and it works nicely in coffee. Some people say there's an aftertaste but I don't taste it. There's nothing like a good cup of coffee.

The ribs sound delicious. I don't think eating any other meat feels more Primal than gnawing on a rib- lol.

Time for the next entry - for Monday, June 29

B - nothing (those ribs yesterday were filling!)

L - 4 scrambled eggs with some swiss chard cooked in, leftover Moroccan spiced lamb sausage (organic, from the farmer's market), a salad w/ olive oil & balsamic

S - Coffee with a splash of milk and a pinch of sugar - less sugar than yesterday (can I get down to zero sugar???)

D - Half pound salmon fillet, zucchini (Green AND yellow! Ooooo... Fancy!). Two hard-boiled eggs afterwards.

S - Small piece of dark chocolate - now I'm all out.

S - Scoop of almond butter and a few dried currents

Workout - 45 minutes of kettlebells at the gym at 10:30am - on an empty stomach. I actually like workout out on an empty stomach now. Back in the carb-days, I couldn't do it. I'd get all light headed and have no energy.

@Diana: I haven't tried stevia. Does it taste like sugar or does it have a "different" taste to it? I should just buy some and see. And yes, ribs and drum sticks are my favorite things to eat right now. I LOVE gnawing on the bones! (And to think, I was a vegan for a year and a half!!! But then I got better...)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

ooh the salmon sounds so good.

I find that the stevia tastes different... I don't like it in coffee (but I don't mind coffee black as I grew up with it that way). My husband hasn't noticed a difference (in coffee). I thought it was fine in the whipped cream I made last night, too and would probably work fine in any recipes.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast