Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First day with no sweets or sweeteners = misery page

glossy is offline Junior Member

First day with no sweets or sweeteners = misery

Primal Fuel
    I knew I had a pretty bad sugar addiction prior to going primal but I had no idea how bad it was until today. I seemed to have traded in my sugar addiction for a stevia addiction. Weather psychological, emotional, mental I don't know but everything had to be sweet. Tea and coffee as well as countless other things I would try to create to add sweetness to my life. This also added so many extra calories to my diet as well as leading to binges. Even fruit had to be sweetened.

So today I decided to go cold turkey off of all sweet tasting things and it has been the hardest transition yet. I just walked into my kitchen and saw a stevia packet sitting there and wanted to eat it straight out of the packet!!

Anyone ever heard of this kind of addiction? Has anyone experienced this before and had breakthrough? I am miserable. My tongue just wants to taste something sweet so bad.
    Staring weight-160 (Dec '11) * Current weight-145 * Goal weight-130

Primal since March '12, dairy free (except butter), no fruit, no sweeteners, 50 carbs average daily

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Giving up sugar and things to use instead means that you'll go through a withdrawal but once you get through the first few days it will improve immensely. You just have to go through it but it's totally worth it!

Have you stopped fruit to keep carbs low or for another reason? Lots of people who quite sugar/honey/maple etc eat some fruit instead.

Are you eating coconut oil? Vanilla? Sometimes either of these things can help. I've found that my morning coffee (like a wimpy bulletproof with just a tad of ghee and CO) tastes sweet to me.

Have you tried going in the opposite direction - sugar free pickles, etc?
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

activia is offline Senior Member
    Sorry its withdrawl.. It's not easy... I had a rough time too but I can tell you it gets easier. Just get thru the first few weeks.... Then your cravings we'll drop and you won't even be tempted.

You can try upping non-sugary carbs to help you get thru it.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I remember when I first went on Atkins about 10 years ago i.e. cut off all carbs. I could barely get out of bed and had dry heaves. This went on for 2 or 3 days. Things calmed down after that.

And refined sugars weren't my big craving. It was for refined grains. Pasta, bagels, chips, crackers, baked goods...stuff like that. I have continued to crave gluten and sugar free substitutes for these things. I have also fallen off the wagon several times in the last ten years and regained the 15 pounds I lost on Atkins (185 down to 170, mostly belly fat).

What's really helped me recently is stopping snacking. That's what I would try if I was you. Read the threads on intermittent fasting. I've been much more relaxed since I started eating just two large meals a day and not snacking. Snacking is one of those things that stimulates itself. If you go cold turkey, you will stop wanting to snack. It's been a real liberation.
    Last edited by dbalch; 03-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I remember craving bread for weeks. I thought the cravings would never stop. Months later they did
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I remember craving bread for weeks. I thought the cravings would never stop. Months later they did
    I craved things like ice cream and candy until I cleared the house of them and started eating fruit on a regular basis. Oddly enough, eating a banana doesn't make me want to eat 50 of them in a row, but you can bet that a small bowl of ice cream would inevitably turn into a " holy shit why did I eat that much" scenario. The more I research and experiment the more I gravitate towards the whole food reward and palatablility hypothesis that people like Stephan Guyenet talk about. Out of all the theories I've seen, his makes the most sense as far as my own experiences and studies go. I'm not saying it's the be all end all, but it's certainly worth taking a look at since I think all of us have had that moment where we couldn't eat another bite but somehow ended up starving when the desert cart rolls around.

It's funny to see how my cravings have evolved from one thing to the next. After giving up grains (which I was SO in love with and sick from) I began to crave yogurt and cheese so I gave those up, then the heavy cream, then the fruit and then on to the artificial sweeteners. The one thing these all have in common is that they induce binge sessions for me. But also that they were all things I could sweeten. I can't have just one serving/taste/bite.
    And yes, Avelin, I have dropped fruit for both the reason to keep carbs low but also because I binge on fruit as well. Anything sweet or sweet tasting can trigger a binge so Im giving it a break. I made it through today alright and have great hope for tomorrow as well. It was easier and harder at the same time. I just kept thinking of sweet tasting things but it was all just in my head.
    I just wondered if anyone had experienced the "pseudo" sugar addiction like this seems to have been.

Primal since March '12, dairy free (except butter), no fruit, no sweeteners, 50 carbs average daily

Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    What's really helped me recently is stopping snacking. That's what I would try if I was you. Read the threads on intermittent fasting. I've been much more relaxed since I started eating just two large meals a day and not snacking. Snacking is one of those things that stimulates itself. If you go cold turkey, you will stop wanting to snack. It's been a real liberation.
    I follow Fast-5 and was doing that prior to going Primal. I love IFing but it seemed to reinforce my natural evening binge habit. Now that I'm Primal and very low carb it has gotten easier. I continue to need to tweak things though. Seems like I'll have a great day or two and then something else will step up to be the bad guy so I eliminate it.

I went very low carb right from the start, and have kept that up for 11 weeks. I found it easier to cut everything out, rather than cutting down, I am a kind of all or nothing person. If I had allowed myself a little bit of this or a little bit of that, it wouldnt have been enough, I would have had to have more!! I know it doesnt work for everybody, but if has certainly worked for my husband and I. We drank gallons of water in the early days, found that took the edge off of any craving or hunger.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glossy View Post
    I follow Fast-5 and was doing that prior to going Primal. I love IFing but it seemed to reinforce my natural evening binge habit. Now that I'm Primal and very low carb it has gotten easier. I continue to need to tweak things though. Seems like I'll have a great day or two and then something else will step up to be the bad guy so I eliminate it.
    I get through the fasting two ways: 1) drink an herbal tea when I get hunger pangs 2) Learn to love my hunger pangs. I've been reading De Vany's book discussing how genes and cells act to preserve and protect themselves when faced with short term stress. Being hungry for a little while may be one of the healthiest things you can do. This motivates me. It's also a very good idea to make bone broths (from grass fed, pastured animals). This is a good way to do a semi-fast i.e. have a cup of broth to quell hunger. Very nutrient dense. Make it very spicy. I'm going to start 24 hour broth fasts soon.

But I think what has really changed from not snacking is that my stomach has shrunk from not being filled with food all the time. Now when I eat one large meal, I feel so stuffed I'm just not getting hungry again. Usually, I'm not that hungry for dinner. I eat a little extra just so I don't get hungry in the middle of night and aren't tempted by snacks before bed (my old nemisis was the PB sandwich before bed).
    Last edited by dbalch; 03-21-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast