Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ratio of macronutrients for weight loss (esp. women)? page 2

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Carbs will keep you fat most of the year except summer.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    Nope. The whole "calories in/calories out" thing is.
    nobody has ever lost bodyfat without being in a caloric deficit. low carb, high carb, ketogenic, whatever. i'm not talking about cause and effect (does being overweight cause us to overeat - a la taubes), i'm talking about reality.

Quote Originally Posted by chaohinon View Post
    exactly.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I laughed and spit bits of chewed up steak and veggies all over my laptop.... well played sir, well played.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    nobody has ever lost bodyfat without being in a caloric deficit.
    Nobody has ever gained weight without being in a caloric surplus... Someone way smarter than any of us already figured out Conservation of Energy a long time ago. Repeating it as it relates to metabolism doesn't offer any insight.

low carb, high carb, ketogenic, whatever. i'm not talking about cause and effect (does being overweight cause us to overeat - a la taubes), i'm talking about reality.
    Understanding cause and effect is not reality, but spewing bad nutritional dogma is?

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    OP, the Primal Blueprint book is not only a good read, it has a chapter covering weight loss...do you have the book?
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Nobody has ever gained weight without being in a caloric surplus... Someone way smarter than any of us already figured out Conservation of Energy a long time ago.
    This is a load of BS. I used to gain weight eating fewer calories than I do now. And almost EVERYONE who gains weight is having a nutrient deficit. Which is part of why they keep eating.

As for you famous equation: "calories in <-> calories out" as a comparison is correct, but you have to calculate both halves of this equation before you compare them to see if there is a deficit. The "calories in" half is pretty easy to calculate. But what do you know about the "calories OUT" half of the equation? Taubes spent an entire book basically saying that nobody knows dip squat how to calculate the calories-out half of the equation.*

In other words, CW is sort of right. Which is why CW is so dangerous. The equation is easy enough for most people to grasp, but what if you go a level deeper and ask about individual terms? Oh god, that sounds like MATH, or worse yet, it sounds like THINKING. And we can't be having any o' that. No wonder most people can't go primal.

That said, calories do matter somewhat. The trick is to keep the same ratio of carb/fat/protein, but with a lower overall calorie level. How many overall calories you should have depends on how tall you are, but I would shoot for 1400 overall calories: About 50% fat calories (80 grams); 30% protein (100 grams); and 20% carb (70 grams). Be sure to calculate the carb grams in the veggies; it's very easy to get to 70 grams before you know it.

You're not quite a month in, so I wouldn't worry about "lift days" and "rest days" until you're more accustomed to being primal.

-------------------
    * The book was published in 2006; a lot more is now known about "calories out:" it's a complex mix of leptin(?), insulin and other hormones respond to diet, genetic expression, and the like. It is certainly NOT calculated by counting how minutes you did on the elliptical.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    You stay classy, Paelo Forum Community!

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Nobody has ever gained weight without being in a caloric surplus... Someone way smarter than any of us already figured out Conservation of Energy a long time ago. Repeating it as it relates to metabolism doesn't offer any insight.

Understanding cause and effect is not reality, but spewing bad nutritional dogma is?
    hey js290, since somebody already figured out conservation of energy, and you're not challenging it, just what the fuck is your point? cause my point is pretty damn clear. you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. cause that effect.

you tell me what will work to lose body fat besides putting yourself into a caloric deficit. you're right - i'm not reinventing the wheel. i'm stating a well-known truism. so what are you saying? what's your angle here? enlighten me/us!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hey js290, since somebody already figured out conservation of energy, and you're not challenging it, just what the fuck is your point? cause my point is pretty damn clear. you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. cause that effect.

you tell me what will work to lose body fat besides putting yourself into a caloric deficit. you're right - i'm not reinventing the wheel. i'm stating a well-known truism. so what are you saying? what's your angle here? enlighten me/us!
    This person lost weight without a calorie deficit!!!!!!

astro.PNG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast