Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Carb and depression page

ar0e is offline Member

Low Carb and depression

Primal Fuel
    Lately I can't go more than 2 days eating less than 75 grams of carbs because I get really depressed. I feel better temporarily after I eat half a sweet potato or a small serving or rice, but then I feel guilty about eating it and hungrier the next day. Then I eat another potato or some more rice, and it's a never ending cycle of depression, temporary relief, then guilt. I can't seem to lose any weight and that is adding to my feelings of hopelessness. Then I feel ugly and self conscious every morning I wake up and look in the mirror at the fat woman staring back at me. My self esteem has gone out the window and I don't know how to find it again. Does anyone have any remedies for these feelings? Just to recap, my goal is to lose 30 pounds or at least fit into a size 6 again, I'm currently a size 12.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    whats the rest of your diet like? half a sweet potatoe isnt that extreme, id avoid the rice..

i eat a large sweet potato once a week
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Get the carbs out for a few days, will help you to re-establish control which will increase self esteem- has done utter wonders for me personally:
    Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

The high fat is amazing for depression.

Then plan on being CAREFUL with carbs till summer starts. Make small changes- use raspberries and blueberries, not apples, grapefruits or bananas. Don't have more than 1 sweet potato per week. If you must have rice, have it in a chicken bowl in public and enjoy it. Don't buy any sweets like chocolate and don't have wine.
    Going off dairy like kefir may also help- just have some goat cheese in a big a$$ salad.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    If low carb is making you feel shitty then stop going low carb. You can listen to diet gurus and authors argue over what macro-nutrient is the best all day, but the best thing you can actually do is experiment with your diet and find what makes you feel best. I tried low carb and it was awful, and since I added back in natural carbs I've lost 20 pounds and feel great.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    If low carb is making you feel shitty then stop going low carb. You can listen to diet gurus and authors argue over what macro-nutrient is the best all day, but the best thing you can actually do is experiment with your diet and find what makes you feel best. I tried low carb and it was awful, and since I added back in natural carbs I've lost 20 pounds and feel great.
    +1
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jakey is offline Senior Member
    listen, not everything is diet related... you say you feel depressed eating low carb, then depressed after a day when you add carbs back. maybe time to get someone you can talk to - a shrink...

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    listen, not everything is diet related... you say you feel depressed eating low carb, then depressed after a day when you add carbs back. maybe time to get someone you can talk to - a shrink...
    True, it could be that the diet changes were just triggers and not root causes, there could be underlying issues that need to be addressed. You also seem to have a guilt association with food which you need to get rid of, nobody needs to feel guilty over a potato or piece of fruit despite what some crackpots on the internet say.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    I contest to the fact that I started to feel depressed when I went VLC for awhile and there were no other changes in my life. You really cant understand it until you feel it yourself.

It is also good to work on other things as well as diet, but diet most certainly has affects on the mind! I suggest you do some more research in this area, as it is huge. Ever gotten butterfly's in your stomach when you were nervous? That's one example..anyways

I would suggest making sure you are getting lots of sunlight, exercise, and try some meditation techniques. This is great for stress management. I have no doubt that your diet is effecting your mood tho. Do what makes you feel good. There is no need to go VLC unless you have a serious medical condition.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Get the carbs out for a few days, will help you to re-establish control which will increase self esteem- has done utter wonders for me personally:
    Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

The high fat is amazing for depression.

Then plan on being CAREFUL with carbs till summer starts. Make small changes- use raspberries and blueberries, not apples, grapefruits or bananas. Don't have more than 1 sweet potato per week. If you must have rice, have it in a chicken bowl in public and enjoy it. Don't buy any sweets like chocolate and don't have wine.
    Going off dairy like kefir may also help- just have some goat cheese in a big a$$ salad.
    What in the hell are you taking about????

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I agree with Jack Kruse that carbs aren't healthy in the winter. We're just at a point where you will be able to increase your carbs and enjoy them once summer starts.
    You are not depressed because of eating low carb, you are depressed because the carbs are making you fat and you feel depressed. You might also give up on losing weight, seriously, till next fall, then go full force on it again. In the meantime, you should do a trial run of no carbs Atkins Fat Fast for a few days to gear yourself up so you know you *can* do it. What has happened is you've gotten yourself in a place mentally where you think you can't do it. I know, I've been there. The leptin reset is a good low carb program you might also consider doing between now and summer.
    THE LEPTIN RX...FAQ's - Jack Kruse

If you can, also consider getting outside for a little while in the morning in the cold or taking cold showers and baths- energizing anti depressing and metabolism boosting.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast