Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In a rut - need advice page

Scros10 is offline Junior Member

In a rut - need advice

Shop Now
    Hi,

I've been primal now for almost two months. I have no complaints and feel awesome. I eat primal 95% of the time with just the occasional drink or a few chips and salsa once a month or so. I am a 25 year old male, 5'10 and weigh 210 after starting primal at 234. I am happy with my results so far but I have been in a rut for the last 2 weeks or so. My day usually consists of IF until lunch. (12-2 depending on how i feel) Lunch consists of a big ass salad with chicken or some sort of protein ( pork, chicken, steak, ground beef are the usual ) with a salad, cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Usually fitting an avocado in there 3-4 days a week. On most days I dont snack but if its a heavy lifting day I may have a handful of almonds, pistachios or possibly some fruit. Dinner around 6:30 or 7 on most days and consisting mostly the same as lunch. A lot of protein with either salad or vegetables. Only drink water throughout the day. As far as portions go, I dont really watch them. I eat if Im hungry and dont eat when Im not. I guess my question is is there anything I can try to implement to jump start my weight loss again? Should I watch portions more carefully? Is it bad to IF most weekdays? If I'm hungry I will make 3 eggs with a few slices of bacon.

My workouts are pretty steady.
    Monday - sprint,
    Tuesday - usually rest or do a quick tabata if I feel good.
    Wednesday- lift
    Thursday - rest day.
    Friday -lift heavy
    Saturday and Sunday - pretty active days for me mostly consisting of racquetball and basketball.

My schedule is pretty flexible. If I feel good, I am more active. If I am sore, I rest. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't. Any information or recommendations are appreciated. I feel great and I am not discouraged at all, just looking for a little direction to continue my weight loss. Thanks.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    First of all, you lost 24lbs in 2 months. GREAT job! Congrats!!!

Do you feel energized after lifting?
    Are you getting stronger in weight and reps everytime?

I'm assuming you gained some muscle too.

My guess is you should add some carbs after lifting. Fasting everyday isn't necessarily bad but eating something first thing might help you actually lose some weight. I mean, I've been eating 3 meals a day and fasting 24hrs/week and I'm losing weight steadily. But that's me. You gotta experiment with this. Sorry, I don't have definite answers for you.

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    what jo said..

try adding some carrots or sweet potatoes on your lift days, and fasting everyday isn't bad, but you might want to experiment. try two weeks of something different to give your body a chance to give you results.

i didn't have good success with fasting everyday, but i didn't have anything bad either...but now i'm going to give a 48 hour fast a go and see how it treats me, just to try it out...probably eat a whole cow on wednesday though

plus take your measurements, sometimes the scale doesn't do anything for me or it goes up, but my measurements tell a different story on whats going on in my body

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i agree you are gaining muscle .. but lots of people lose faster when they give up fruits/nuts .. i know its true for me as well
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

MollyGolightly is offline Junior Member
    Check measurements along with weight if you haven't. You probably really are just adding muscle. Check your sleep. Check your fat intake (it could be too low). Try some coffee if you can tolerate it (add butter too). I read the Bulletproof Exec. along with MDA to troubleshoot. Trial and error. Congrats on the progress so far!!!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm too new to have any advice, but wanted to give you a virtual high five for the amazing weight loss to date! Great job!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Scros10 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPaleo View Post
    First of all, you lost 24lbs in 2 months. GREAT job! Congrats!!!

Do you feel energized after lifting?
    Are you getting stronger in weight and reps everytime?

I'm assuming you gained some muscle too.

My guess is you should add some carbs after lifting. Fasting everyday isn't necessarily bad but eating something first thing might help you actually lose some weight. I mean, I've been eating 3 meals a day and fasting 24hrs/week and I'm losing weight steadily. But that's me. You gotta experiment with this. Sorry, I don't have definite answers for you.
    I feel pretty good after each workout. There are times every now and then where I feel drained. I am definitely getting stronger and I still feel really good.

I'll try adding a few more carbs on my lifting days as well as maybe fasting every other day.

I'll play around with it and I'm sure I'll find something that will work for me. I'll keep at it and get back here with the results.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scros10 View Post
    I feel pretty good after each workout. There are times every now and then where I feel drained. I am definitely getting stronger and I still feel really good.

I'll try adding a few more carbs on my lifting days as well as maybe fasting every other day.

I'll play around with it and I'm sure I'll find something that will work for me. I'll keep at it and get back here with the results.
    Looking forward to hearing the update!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Move slowly, add some walks into your routine and find more time to play. Other than that great progress and routine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ugotllamad is offline Junior Member
    Do things you like to do. Go for a walk daily, or do some chores. I've been known wash the car as a part of my move slowly for the week! Another tip is eat when you're hungry. Now I thought I was eating when I was hungry for a while, but it turned out I could wait another couple hours without feeling bad at all. I like the fact you're doing the fast til 12-2, as long as you feel good doing it. I know some people do better eating a ton of protein in the morning. I don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast