Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling after losing a pound or two. page

lolawolf is offline Member

Stalling after losing a pound or two.

I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in the nutrition or exercise section since it has to deal with both but I keep hearing food is 80% of how you look.

Ok I started trying primal a couple months ago and I have lost a pound or two. I'm eating meats&veggies. Mostly ground beef in either chili or patty form (don't like chicken or turkey), bacon once a week and veggies like broccoli&spinach. I don't like eggs either =( I usually only end up eating twice a day now because I get busy with other things and didn't get very hungry until recently where I seem to be ravenous. Not sure what changed, if anything, but I am always hungry now and it doesn't matter what I eat.

I tried IF and I just ended up binge eating pizza because I felt so hungry and I felt deprived and it was there - quick&easy.I know it's no excuse but I'm starting to not care anymore since I'm not losing weight anyway. To me, not being able to fast was a bummer because I thought my mind could handle it since I ate more than usual yesterday.

I tried the 30 day thing but also ended up binge eating. I don't know what my problem is but I end up just not caring since I've been exercising the primal way and eating as primally as I can and absolutely nothing is happening.

I just don't even know what to do anymore. I'm at a loss because I have lost any weight and it's not like I eat crap every single day it's like a slip up once every couple of weeks because I feel like it doesn't matter what I do I won't lose a pound anyway. I just feel so frustrated because everyone seems to have such an easy time and I am struggling so much and not enjoying anything I do. All I think about is how I want to lose weight and feel confident again and now I just feel destined to be fat and it makes me cry. I don't want to be heavy anymore and I've been working really hard and it doesn't seem worth it if I'm not going to lose any weight =(

Am I just supposed to stop eating and start running?! That sounds really stupid but it seems like the only way I'd lose weight now.

I also tried those ketosis strips to see if my body was actually burning fat and (I don't know if they're all the same) but my strip never made it past the light pink. I'm not sure if that really pertains to why I'm not losing this weight but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I drink lots of water. I'd guesstimate 85-100oz. I have a water bottle that's 2.2L and I drink about 1 1/2 of it every day.

I'm 4'9" 168lbs. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I know I need to stop binge eating I'm just not really sure how. If anyone was a binge eater and learned how to stop that would be really helpful.

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    I would say that I am a former binge eater. I tried starting this lifestyle several times.

Let's see.. First I read Robb Wolf's book and started his 30 day challenge. I ended up eating everything in sight. Almost like I was rebelling to the fact that I "couldn't" have certain things. Then I tried again, and again.. This happened for a couple of months. Later, I found this site and started poking around.. Started the 21 day challenge. Gave up and ate my weight in pizza one Friday night... All this time I was trying to wrap my head around what the problem was. I knew logically that I needed to change, but I couldn't get my head and heart into it..

Finally, I re-read Robb Wolf, I purchased Mark Sisson's book, and I read Wheat Belly for motivation as to WHY I wanted to really do this for myself. Something started to click. I started to realize that this isn't about what I can and can't have. It's about my LIFE. Seriously, I now see this lifestyle as an inflatable raft that I grabbed onto just as I was about to drown..

Also, I have figured out that if I tell myself that I could eat any time I want, the feeling of wanting to binge goes away. I haven't had an instance of binge eating in weeks actually. But I do know for sure that if I really feel like I just want to go crazy and eat everything in site, I will keep the foods primal. I will NEVER, EVER allow myself to abuse my body with wheat/gluten again. I owe it to myself to be better than that.

I honestly was where you are. Don't give up, just get your hands on everything and anything that will give you some motivation. Something will click and you will feel as though this makes sense on a more personal level. I am 5'0 and 185 (was 185)lbs, so I have a long way to go too. It's worth the work! And after only a short time of getting it, it doesn't even feel like work anymore!

PS I find that when I cook things in butter I don't feel the need to eat later. I feel as though I had the most luscious meal and don't feel jipped about missing my old junk food. And the weight is coming off even with butter!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    One thing you must realize when converting to a Primal diet:

Primal foods are very nutritionally dense, and with that often comes a higher caloric density.

In a 16 oz ribeye, there are 1243 calories and 100g of fat.

In 16 oz of whole wheat bread, there are 1121 calories and 184g of carbs.

Now, a ribeye is a lot healthier and a lot more nutritious for you than a loaf of bread, but it's also more calorically dense. Chances are you've never sat down and eaten an entire 16 oz loaf of sliced wheat bread before, but a 16 oz ribeye...well, I ate one last night with a pound of brussels sprouts and was still hungry.

The thing to keep in mind is this: the people that see amazing fat loss success when going Primal typically had awful diets consisting of sugary drinks, sodas, cookies, cakes, snacks, etc. Those people are going to see substantial fat loss because Primal foods will keep them full and they won't consume anywhere near the amount of calories they were eating before. Then, there are people on this site that come from "CW-healthy" diets of lean meats and whole wheat pasta. Those people may not lose much weight. In fact, they may very well gain weight since steak and eggs are much more calorically dense. But regardless if you're losing weight or not, you ARE getting healthier. This is a health diet, not a fat loss diet.

Over time, eating the way you're eating, you'll probably slowly drop weight simply due to your body becoming healthier and therefore more hormonally balanced. However, for you to see realistic levels of fat loss in a relatively short period of time, you're going to have to undereat your maintenance level of calories. It's up to you to find out how to go about doing this. Whether it's cooking in less fat, intermittent fasting, trading up the ribeye for eye round or chicken breast - whatever it may be - the point is, if you're not losing weight, you're simply eating too much food - but you ARE improving your health.

If you are eating based on hunger, I recommend you eat a moderate fat/moderate carbohydrate diet. If you study the satiety of foods, you'll find that things like steak and eggs are fantastic at maintaining satiety over long periods of time, but they're poor at filling you up quickly. Potatoes, on the other hand, fill you up very quickly, but you get hungry quickly again. I strongly recommend you start eating potatoes with your meals. Eating steak, eggs and potatoes in the same calories as steak and eggs alone will fill you up faster thanks to the starch.

Check out the Satiety Index for lists of foods that fill you up fast. Most foods are not Primal - and I STRONGLY recommend you avoid wheat and oats like the plague. Potatoes and sweet potatoes should be your go-to's to fill you up fast, while moderately fatty foods like steak and eggs will maintain your fullness, resulting in less food consumption with the same calories.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    id say off bat youre drinkin to much water .. might wanna read up about how that can effect you mentally and physically, i had that problem at one point .. not close anymore ..

maybe give us a few days breakdown of food?

and regarding the binge eating, you must learn to mentally overcome that desire (unless you are THAT hungry ofcoursE)
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Mostly ground beef in either chili or patty form (don't like chicken or turkey), bacon once a week and veggies like broccoli&spinach.
    So you eat ground beef, broc and spinach?

I can tell you for me, to be happy and not go binge and eat everything in sight, I need to be very happy with what I see on my plate. Like having meals I enjoy two times a day. You can eat fatty ground meat and feel really deprived. You may be full.... but...

Try eating the whole range of primal foods, carbs included. Where is a daily serving of fruit? An occasional sweet potato? A bite of chocolate? A shave of parmesan? I feel like the more foods we can enjoy, while avoiding toxic foods, the better off we are.

If my diet was say, 2 times a day- beef, brocolli and asparagus. I'd last two days even if I had 6 lbs of beef a day.

Nutrition, satiety, AND pleasure are all important in the choices we make. You make it really hard on yourself to exclude healthy foods like chicken, turkey, eggs and fruits. Try fish, duck, pork.... try zucchini, try sweet potato, try a cold salad with avocado and tomato.

I understand the whole "pizza" thing from my old CW days. These days I don't want that hardly ever because there is always something else to eat that is just as tasty and exciting. Why would I want pizza tonight when I can have perfectly roasted chicken with cauliflower mash and roasted asparagus?

ninjas.rawk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolawolf View Post
    Ok I started trying primal a couple months ago and I have lost a pound or two. I'm eating meats&veggies. Mostly ground beef in either chili or patty form (don't like chicken or turkey), bacon once a week and veggies like broccoli&spinach. I don't like eggs either =( I usually only end up eating twice a day now because I get busy with other things and didn't get very hungry until recently where I seem to be ravenous.
    I only just started Primal at the end of Feb, I would say I lost a pound, but I know it's just water so really I have lost nothing. (Don't expect to yet as not even 30 days in; even tho it is discouraging seeing others lose right away) You only eat twice a day, what times of the day? Depending on the times that could be IFing. Like for example I eat between 1-9 and it's only 1-2 meals and I fast for the remaining 16 hours.

I also tried those ketosis strips to see if my body was actually burning fat and (I don't know if they're all the same) but my strip never made it past the light pink. I'm not sure if that really pertains to why I'm not losing this weight but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
    I also got the ketone strips, and so far I have no keytones at all. I went 3 days eating 30g or less carbs and still nothing. I don't know if those things are 100% accurate or not, but I expected to see at least a little bit so I get your discouragement.

I'm 4'9" 168lbs. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I know I need to stop binge eating I'm just not really sure how. If anyone was a binge eater and learned how to stop that would be really helpful.
    I am 5'0"-5'1".. LoL.. (seems some doctors measurments don't agree) and I currently weigh 128; I started at 153 and lost that weight on the SAD. However 128 looks EXACTLY like I did at 153 on my short small frame... so it's very discouraging when your not seeing results. I am a newbie to this so I don't really have any advice, more of just some support because I know how you feel.

What's your protein numbers look like? I find for me, more protein (with a reasonable amount of fat and carbs) help fill me up and keep me full longer.
    Somewhere under all this fat is a strong, healthy, beautiful and sexy woman. The search for her begins now.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Maybe try the leptin reset. IF Dr. Kruse says IF won't work till you get your hunger/satiety issues worked out and every time you eat wheat that sets you back- wheat not only contains lectins that damage insulin receptors it damages leptin also so your brain doesn't know you've been fed and you crave more food. You will never eat less till you eat right, and once you eat right and are leptin sensitive calories won't matter as much. The truth is, the CARBS is what have made you fat and going low carb at least for a few weeks is the only way to make a dent in your physiology.
    Also if you have blood type O you probably don't tolerate dairy so you will want to ditch that also. Your main foods will need to be sardines, eggs, meat, etc and fat also. Fat is great for shutting off hunger and will only make you gain if you eat it with a lot of carbs.

Something else that might jumpstart the process for you is the Atkins Fat Fast. For 3-5 days you eat lower calorie- no you won't starve- and no carbs whatsoever- 1,000 calories, 90% fat. According to Atkins and other researchers (this was published in the Lancet in 1957 btw- decades ago), this is the most effective fat loss pattern and is safe to do short term.
    Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

ninjas.rawk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Also if you have blood type O you probably don't tolerate dairy so you will want to ditch that also.
    I have never heard this... I am Type O, and I am actually going to be cutting dairy out for 30 days once I finish off the greek yogurt I have because I want to see if it helps my allergies.
    Somewhere under all this fat is a strong, healthy, beautiful and sexy woman. The search for her begins now.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    You are so not alone Lola wolf,
    I came here yesterday with almost the same feelings and frustrations except I had gained 35 pounds and have gained 4 more in the last couple of days! I feel your frustration and the anxiety. Have you made a journal in the journal forums? That is helping me while I try and sort things out and the people here have really circled the wagons to help me with ideas. I won't begin to try and tell you what to do cause I am also in that stage but I will say listen to all of the advice and try different things until something clicks.

If you start a journal let me know so I can offer my support and be a comrad on this journey. Please don't give up we CAN do this. and we are heal;thier no matter what eating this way and that counts for a lot!

Hugs to you...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had the best luck with a high protein breakfast. For me this is some kind of beef and/or eggs and often veggies. I can usually go all day without hunger until the late afternoon. If I do get hungry for lunch, I keep sardines and salmon in my office. Basically mostly zero carb until dinner. I feel great, lose weight and have control over my appetite this way.

Dinner is usually some kind of meat (land, air, sea), a vegetable and a starchy root or tuber (1/4-1/2 sweet potato or a pile of mashed celery root, for example.) I put lots of butter on this. I enjoy 1-3 glasses of red wine and some dark chocolate every day.

This makes me feel good. I've experimented with different amounts of carbs but this feels best to me. I've lost 25lbs. I have plenty of energy. My appetite is totally under control. If I have too many carbs on a daily basis, I lose control over my appetite. My mood feels worse. Maybe others can do it, but not me.

It takes experimentation to find what works for you so give things a try and find what keeps your appetite under control and also tastes good. I really like meat, eggs, liver, leafy greens, mushrooms and stuff like that. I really don't like salad, fruit or portion control.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast