Thread: Goat Milk Kefir? page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Goat Milk Kefir?

Shop Now
    I have issues with cow's milk. In the past, I used to drink cow's milk kefir... love it and love the benefits to my IBS and gut in general. Several years ago, I started having very bad IBS-D (worsened by removal of gallbladder). I found primal and that has helped. Now, I do not drink any cow's milk or kefir and only occasionally have hard cheese.

Yesterday in Whole Foods I found Goat's Milk Kefer and bought some. I had some yesterday and today (about 3 oz each day). So far, so good.

Has anyone else found they could tolerate Goat's Milk when they cannot tolerate cow's milk? I do not have a lactose problem... milk just irritates my digestive tract and gives me diarrhea for days after consuming.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Its very possible as some people have found that milk with A1 they are sensitive to and A2 (I might have this backwards) they are not...especially with people that have leaky gut. Goat's milk is all the latter, where cow's milk is all mostly A1 in the US.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Sigmoid is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed adverse effects from drinking kefir, though it may just be the fact that kefir meant I was taking more dairy in relation to other foods. Anyway yesterday I switched to goat milk, and I have to tell you, goat kefir tastes awesome.

Also I'm trying to reduce the amount I drink each day, and generally limit dairy to a minimum.

ourmisadventures is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Its very possible as some people have found that milk with A1 they are sensitive to and A2 (I might have this backwards) they are not...especially with people that have leaky gut. Goat's milk is all the latter, where cow's milk is all mostly A1 in the US.
    ^ I think so too.

But, be careful with store bought kefir. It doesn't have all the nutrients traditional and homemade kefir have, not to mention yucky additives. Yeah, Lifeway makes it *sound* like theirs really does have all those nutrients and different probiotics, but you can't beat homemade. You can make milk kefir from just about any milk -- including coconut milk. You can also make water kefir, which uses a different type of grains. I got my milk kefir grains from a former professor of mine, but you can also order them online. It's easy, put grains in mason jar... pour in milk... cover with cheesecloth, let sit, strain when it's ready (24hrs,) repeat. Much easier than kombucha!
    Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back!
    blog - g+
    pinterest -instagram

ourmisadventures is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmoid View Post
    I have noticed adverse effects from drinking kefir, though it may just be the fact that kefir meant I was taking more dairy in relation to other foods. Anyway yesterday I switched to goat milk, and I have to tell you, goat kefir tastes awesome.

Also I'm trying to reduce the amount I drink each day, and generally limit dairy to a minimum.
    By chance were you having too much at a time? if your system is new to those probiotics, too much to start with would cause those problems
    Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back!
    blog - g+
    pinterest -instagram

Sigmoid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ourmisadventures View Post
    By chance were you having too much at a time? if your system is new to those probiotics, too much to start with would cause those problems
    Not the sort of problems that come with a smiley. I'm talking about deep-seated acne, overall skin redness and elevated systemic inflammation.