Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much saturated fat do people consume? page

rkd80 is offline Member

How much saturated fat do people consume?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone!

Just started recently on eating similarly to how many of you eat and decided to keep a journal using cronometer.com to measure my intake. I do not plan to do this forever but am trying to get a better grasp of what exactly I am consuming.

I am curious to see how I compare to others and make sure i am not over doing it.

For what it is worth, I am not really looking to lose weight. I have battled chronic inflammation in my neck, shoulder, arm, achilles and joints for years. Old sport injuries and no matter what I ever did the pain never left. In the past 3 weeks I have had significant improvement in my pain in some areas, and marginal in others. I cut out all grains/sugars and rebalanced (or tried to) my o36 ratio. However I do notice the word 'lean' mentioned often in Mark's writing so that is why I am curious.

Most of the new fat comes from grass fed butter, coconut oil and grass-fed beef/wild fish and extra virgin oil.

Here the fat breakdown for last week:

Tuesday: Sat: 33. Mono: 32. Total: 84
    Wednesday: Sat: 31. Mono: 29. Total: 83
    Thursday: Sat: 115. Mono: 54. Total: 196 (had a cup of heavy cream...oops?)
    Friday: Sat: 12. Mono: 22.4 Total: 62.6
    Saturday: Sat: 71. Mono: 83. Total: 210 (way too much chicken thighs, resulting in 21g of omega-6 )

I realize this is a small anecdotal sample, but would like to see how others stack up.

activia is offline Senior Member
    lean meats if you are eating conventional animal fats because of their poorer o3/06 ratio. He also recommends adding fats to everything.. just get the good kind (grass-fed)

I don't track sat fat intake because its not something I'm concerned about
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I presume the difference between total fat and the sum of saturated and mono each of those days is from polyunsaturated? (I don't see how it could be anything else) If so, you really need to try to reduce how much polyunsaturated fat you're eating in general--you want to avoid a skewed ratio, but too much of o6 OR o3 is not good for you. Polyunsaturated fat should only be a couple percent of your caloric intake, not more than 4 or 5 grams a day total, ideally. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for inflammation and free radical damage.

I would guess you are eating a substantial amount of nuts and skin-on chicken? Those tend to be big sources, along with fatty pork...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

rkd80 is offline Member
    You are correct, the rest is polyunsaturated. I do not really know how you guys keep your omega-6 at 5 grams. If I eat anything that is not grass-fed beef (pork, sausages, chicken) my omega-6 count goes up. Throw in some nuts and avocados and you are easily in the 10-15g range.

I know quite a bit about the o36 ratio and with my inflammation problems it is a BIG deal, but I just dont know how it is done. I have eliminated all vegetable oils and processed foods and my beef is grass fed as is my butter. Eggs are standard though. I assume there is omega-9 involved, but it is not categorized.

Here are the counts for omega-6:

1: 5.9
    2: 4.8
    3: 8.9
    4: 13.7
    5: 19.9

Sometimes the ratio is 4:1 and sometimes it is 15-20:1 - which I realize is not ideal.
    Perhaps cutting down on bacon is a good idea.
    Last edited by rkd80; 03-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to count ANY sub-macro (really...now we're breaking macros down even further...) in the fat department, it's probably PUFAs. SFA and MUFA are generally "neutral" or "positive" when it comes to inflammation issues. PUFAs (specifically O6, though there's a lot of recommendation to limit PUFAs overall) are the ones that can be problematic.

-Excessive nut consumption is going to throw O6 levels off very quickly. Also, they are very calorically dense and many people find them to be a food that once they start eating them, they eat more than they intend to. OTOH, occasional small snacks (think seasonal availability in paleolithic times) are probably not too bad and Mark stresses the dangers of breaking foods down into their component parts -- "Nuts are more then bags of liniolic acid." Macadamias have very little PUFA and a lot of MUFA, so they may be a better alternative.
    -Eat fatty fish such as Salmon, sardines, etc.
    -If you can find them, eat eggs from pastured/naturally raised chickens. This is going to be more expensive than the $1.50/dozen at the Save-A-Lot, but it's less of a "bite" than trying to replace all of your conventional meat with the best organic grass-fed cuts. Eggs were the first "big" change we made. It just seemed less daunting that completely re-vamping all of our meat purchases.
    -Go with leaner cuts of conventional meat and add back in fat from grass fed butter/ghee/etc. which is a cheaper combination than going 100% grass fed cuts if you can't swing it budget-wise. Although, you seem to indicate you are already doing grass-fed.
    -There are certain foods that I wouldn't recommend cutting out of the diet just because of an arbitrary number. Avocados are one of the. There are so many benefits to having between 1/2 and 1 avocado per day that I wouldn't recommend cutting them out just to hit a PUFA target. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend eating 3 or 4 a day, either. Avacados are mostly MUFAs anyways.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How much saturated fat do I consume? I'm not sure but I know that it's always the first number to turn red in My Fitness Pal. That and my cholesterol. Badge of honor if you ask me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Half a lb to a lb per week.

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    I've tracked my fat intake and I'm consuming 70% of my calories as fat, and prob 99% of it is saturated.

Works for me. I don't measure the ratios of 3/6 but don't eat heavy on the nuts either. Eggs... high in 3's.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As much of my calories as possible with about 20% from protein (best and safest source of energy).

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I don't track anymore, but did for the first few weeks. Usually between 60-90g of sat fat a day. Seems scary at first when coming from a CW standpoint, but it doesn't concern me now. Yours looks average, or even slightly less than many Primal people. Agree that your PUFA's look too high though, there's been some good tips on reducing these already. I usually aim for around no more than 4% of calories from PUFAs, which works out at around 10-12g daily. Not a clue about my O6:03 ratio but I eat plenty of mackerel/salmon and supplement with fish oil so it must be pretty good.
    Bear in mind that if you're buying cuts of meat and removing the fat to reduce O6 intake, your tracking system may not allow for this. So it'll be logging more than you're actually eating anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast