Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home-made mayo page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Home-made mayo

Shop Now
    Hey,

About home-made mayo, I was thinking about the idea, but then I remembered.. I need to use raw eggs for that.
    Isn't that quite risky? salmonella, bird flu (in my country some chickens had it, they were killed.. but you can never know).

Is there anything I can do about it? like heating the mayo up or something then cooling it again?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I believe you can temper (?) the eggs if you're really concerned, but you probably don't need to worry about it. Which country are you in?

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Hey,

About home-made mayo, I was thinking about the idea, but then I remembered.. I need to use raw eggs for that.
    Isn't that quite risky?
    In a word..no. The risk is extremely small.

Well, In israel here our ministry of health has instructed us to avoid eating eggs when the yolk is still mushy, I'm not even talking raw.
    I don't know if I should take the risk of bird flu and Salmonella just for some bloody mayo. Will tempering it do the trick, or will it ruin the mayo?

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    The best thing you can do for your health is to stop listening to your government.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Where do you get your eggs from? If you know where they are coming from and they are being raised correctly that you can see, I wouldnt be concerned. You can pasteurize the yolks if you want but that sometimes makes it harder to make the mayo.

I don't think I'd eat raw conventional egg yolks.. although before I went primal I did it for years and never had a problem.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    The best thing you can do for your health is to stop listening to your government.
    that right there is an awesome quote!

unless you are getting eggs from feedlots where the chickens are on top of each other and swimming in their own poop...the eats will be perfectly fine to eat raw.

Well, I don't think it's complete conventional feedlots, because those eggs are organic.. but I'm still skeptic.
    If it was only the salmonella risk, which is usually extremely small, especially when the eggs are high quality ones, then maybe.
    But I'm talking about bird flu here.

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    find a better place to get eggs then, one that doesn't just slap labels on the carton. find a local supplier that cares for his chickens.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat store-bought eggs raw. But we also get pastured eggs from a guy we know who raises just a few hens - I'll eat those raw in a heartbeat. If you know and trust your source, it's no problem. If you don't, I wouldn't risk it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast