Hi Mark,

I have a question. I have attempted ketogenic diets in the past, but have always failed at them due to the fact that I was not understanding how a keto diet is supposed to work. I was not understanding that low carbs were used to become keto-adapted (aka - a “fat burner”), and that this is basically step one of using a keto diet for fat loss.

After listening the interview with Jimmy Moore and yourself regarding ketones, I now understand how the keto diet is supposed to work. This is something that has not been well explained in the industry... even McDonald and Palumbo are not at all clear about the stages of a keto diet (becoming keto adapted and then losing fat). All of the resources seem to explain how to begin the process, but they do not explain that whole "keto-adapted" idea, and they don't explain what to do once it is accomplished. I think this is why people freak out when their purple ketostix begin to lose colour. They think that something is wrong, when actually, everything is going great!

But, I have reached a point where I need a bit more direction. I feel that I am reaching a point of keto adaptation. I never did have keto breath, but I did have large amounts of ketones in my urine for about a month. I am now noticing that my ketones are decreasing and my energy levels are high. I think I may have made it to keto-adapted!

But, now what? I am looking for more advice than, “Start IF’ing.” Do I increase my carbs now and decrease my fats? What about calories?

I should also mention, I used to be a former competitive bodybuilder and the extreme diets and insane training did some damage to my metabolism. I have been fighting with this since getting out of competing in 2008. Lowered calories seem to cause an immediate negative effect, so I am a little scared of IF’ing...

this would make for a great blog post!

Barb