Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto Adapted. Now What?? page

driven is offline Junior Member

Keto Adapted. Now What??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi All,

I have a question. I have attempted ketogenic diets in the past, but have always failed at them due to the fact that I was not understanding how a keto diet is supposed to work. I was not understanding that low carbs were used to become keto-adapted (aka - a “fat burner”), and that this is basically step one of using a keto diet for fat loss.

After listening the interview with Jimmy Moore and Mark regarding ketones, I now understand how the keto diet is supposed to work. This is something that has not been well explained in the industry... even McDonald and Palumbo are not at all clear about the stages of a keto diet (becoming keto adapted and then losing fat). It all makes sense now.

But, I have reached a point where I need a bit more direction. I feel that I am reaching a point of keto adaptation. I never did have keto breath, but I did have large amounts of ketones in my urine for about a month. I am now noticing that my ketones are decreasing and my energy levels are high. I think I may have made it to keto-adapted!

But, now what? I am looking for more advice than, “Start IF’ing.” Do I increase my carbs now and decrease my fats? What about calories?

I should also mention, I used to be a former competitive bodybuilder and the extreme diets and insane training did some damage to my metabolism. I have been fighting with this since getting out of competing in 2008. Lowered calories seem to cause an immediate negative effect, so I am a little scared of IF’ing...

Help!

Barb

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Hi All,

I have a question. I have attempted ketogenic diets in the past, but have always failed at them due to the fact that I was not understanding how a keto diet is supposed to work. I was not understanding that low carbs were used to become keto-adapted (aka - a “fat burner”), and that this is basically step one of using a keto diet for fat loss.

After listening the interview with Jimmy Moore and Mark regarding ketones, I now understand how the keto diet is supposed to work. This is something that has not been well explained in the industry... even McDonald and Palumbo are not at all clear about the stages of a keto diet (becoming keto adapted and then losing fat). It all makes sense now.

But, I have reached a point where I need a bit more direction. I feel that I am reaching a point of keto adaptation. I never did have keto breath, but I did have large amounts of ketones in my urine for about a month. I am now noticing that my ketones are decreasing and my energy levels are high. I think I may have made it to keto-adapted!
    Congrats. Here's some links you may find useful.

Is the term, ‘safe starches’ an oxymoron?
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...10112022391448

But, now what? I am looking for more advice than, “Start IF’ing.” Do I increase my carbs now and decrease my fats? What about calories?

I should also mention, I used to be a former competitive bodybuilder and the extreme diets and insane training did some damage to my metabolism. I have been fighting with this since getting out of competing in 2008. Lowered calories seem to cause an immediate negative effect, so I am a little scared of IF’ing...
    You could start training again for health.
    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN »

driven is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Thanks so much for the links. I have read a lot about Rosedale's philosophy on starch... so, I am presuming that increasing carbs and reducing fat is not the correct answer. However, in the Moore/Sisson interview, Mark did explicitly say that once keto adapted, one should cut back on fat. He did not not say what this should be replaced with, or if it should be replaced at all.

I did neglect to mention that I currently do heavy resistance training twice per week, Peak 8 HIIT intervals once per week, and LISS cardio twice per week. I currently eat ~ 1450-1550 calories per day. If I simply cut fat out of the diet, and did not replace it, I am concerned my calories will be too low for my weight and activity level. Low calories and intensive exercise is how I did a number on my metabolism in the first place

Has anyone come from a similar background/experience?

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a link to the interview you listened to with Jimmy Moore and Mark?
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'd say now live . You don't have to constantly mix things up. Our metabolisms, weight, insulin resistance....HEALTH don't always heal in a linear fashion. Although few seem to grasp it a plateau is not always a plateau. Sometimes a manufacturing plant has a lull in production while they are installing new machinery. Until that new machinery is up and running production is down, but in the long run things will be improved. Hmmmmm that may have actually been an original analogy....I'm gonna go head and patten that right now.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? For the amount of exercise your doing a week, you shouldn't be looking to IF much. Choco would be a great resource for you to talk with...
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Choco would be a great resource for you to talk with...
    So a 20 something underweight guy trying to put on weight with excess carb loads would be the best resource for a women looking to excel in ketosis and trim out....HUH?

Mark did explicitly say that once keto adapted, one should cut back on fat. He did not not say what this should be replaced with, or if it should be replaced at all.
    Check this website out Peter Attia | The War on Insulin | Peter Attia, M.D., explains why everything you think you know about nutrition is wrong. Eating fat does not make you fat. He has some good info on keto adaptation and athletics. From what I understand the only limits for ketosis are on carbohydrate intake UNTIL you start ramping up your calories. Then you need to watch your protein intake as excess protein is processed by the liver to glucose. So fat is the only nutrient you continue to ramp up for extra energy expenditure.

gcbcb is offline Member
    If you are interested in IFing but are worried about calories, you could try a ten hour or eight hour or five hour eating window, while making sure you consume as many calories in that window as you normally would in a day. If you want to stay ketogenic, I would not cut fat. There is such a thing as too much protein, though most people aren't in danger of crossing that line. I too would be curious to hear why Mark would suggest cutting fat on a ketogenic diet. It doesn't make sense, unless he was talking about carb loading, in which case you would have a low fat/high carb meal plan on certain days. But that would obviously take you out of ketosis for a bit, which may or may not be a concern for you.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast