Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost 30bs then suddenly gained 10... Help! page

LindsayColeman is offline Junior Member

Lost 30bs then suddenly gained 10... Help!

Primal Fuel
    Howdy!
    So here's my long story, shortened:
    I'm a 28 year old woman and I have been overweight my whole life and have tried to diet, etc, etc. It never ever ever worked (well, never was sustainable). That is until I started the "slow carb" life (a la 4 Hour Body) in May 2011. Lost weight like crazy- was down about 27 lbs in 4.5 months without even trying and even with a "free day" every week. Then found MDA/Primal and decided to cut the legumes and stop the "free days". I added some dairy and some nuts though. Lost a few more pounds and got down to my lowest weight since I was 12. I went from ~165 to 135. Lost fat and gained muscle. I have had some light, normal fluctuations but have stayed mostly at that weight. I was happy, healthy, and stable. I ate clean (with the exception of french fries on a couple of random occasions and some really dark chocolate.)
    In October 2011 I started baking with almond & coconut flours and would sweeten with ZSweet (erythritol and stevia) but didn't gain weight and still felt great. But in January I stopped baking for a few weeks because I didn't want to become dependent on it (even though it was mostly a creative outlet for me). But have occasionally baked since then because I missed the process and outlet it provided.
    But, since sometime in January, I have not been feeling quite right inside and I noticed my clothes were a little tighter and I had seemingly gained fat. And I just wasn't comfortable. Nor was (am) I hungry ever also. So in the middle of February 2012 I weighed myself for the first time in a month and I had literally gained 10lbs! I still feel heavy inside, lower energy (which is still higher than it ever was), fat gained. But I eat really well over all and cannot figure out what is going on in my body. And I am very, very in-tune with my body. I don't know if this is caused by something I'm eating or not eating, or lack of exercise, or a hormonal imbalance, or stress, or anything- I can't figure it out. Oh- I still have about 12% MORE fat to lose! So gaining some back is frustrating since I have so much more to lose.
    I love my life and don't have too much stress. I also walk about 1.5 miles most days a week. And do some light at-home strength training once or twice a week. And I take a food-based multi vitamin when I remember to and occasionally take a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement.

Please- if you have any comments, questions, or possible causes I am open to reading them. I am at a total loss.
    Thanks!
    Lindsay
    IMG_7561.jpg

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    What are your typical daily calories and macros?

Have you gone on/off any medication recently?

What's your usual exercise, and have you switched that up recently?

I used to bake a lot with almond/coconut flour and stevia/xylitol. I don't anymore because nuts and nut flours/butters trigger big cravings for me. I wouldn't even realize that I was eating more fruit, chocolate, and nuts than usual.

More info needed, but I'd say first of all cut all nuts, dairy, and alcohol, and then play with your macros to see what has an effect. For me, increasing protein and carbs while decreasing fat slightly definitely has an effect.

Also, I can't recommend sprinting and lifting highly enough. I sprint twice a week and lift 3x a week. It has a huge effect on how lean I am. I still want to lose some weight and am messing with my macros and calories to find my "sweet spot" for fat loss, but I know just by looking in the mirror that sprinting and lifting have a big effect on my body.

Typical calories and macros would be something like: 1400 cals (but ranged from 1200-1700 depending on what I ate that day, obviously.) and fat ~100g, protein ~85g, carbs ~70g.

I don't take any medications at all. I barely even take ibprofen. Nor do I drink alcohol.

I briskly walk about 1.5 miles most days because I walk to work. A couple times a week I do weighted squats, lunges, push-ups, tricep dips, crunches, planks, etc. Nothing too strenuous, but it definitely is work for me since I'm still out of shape.

I don't usually have a problem with the nut flours, but nut butter is a whole other story. I don't let myself buy it anymore. That stuff is addicting!

It's interesting that you suggest to cut nuts and dairy- I was thinking of doing that. I love dairy though- raw cheese, butter, raw cream. Love it. Nuts, on the other hand, I could live without. But I will most likely try cutting them both out (again). And just yesterday I was thinking about decreasing fat as well.

Unfortunately don't have access to a gym or place to do lifting, although I would love to be able to. And sprinting on the sidewalk/street freaks me out. This might be a silly question but without access to a treadmill and not wanting to sprint on the street, how else can I do sprints? I want to try.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Did you experience an illness just before you started gaining weight?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Did you experience an illness just before you started gaining weight?
    No, not that I can think of. There were a couple days somewhere around there that I was nauseated for no apparent reason (and no, I am not pregnant). But I wasn't actually ill. Come to think of it, I haven't been sick since I started eating Primal.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Lindsay --

Just a couple thoughts. I missed dairy and reintroduced it and almost immediately (4 days) gained 4 pounds. Went off dairy again and back to meat. Lost it in 2 days and continued losing.

Ah, lifting is easy. Lift your body:-) -- push ups (against the wall, army style, your choice), squats (I love those -- leave you feeling so strong and, last but not least -- PLANKS -- IMHO, that's the greatest lifter. I also hang from the pull up bar -- don't lift yet, but I do hang -- for a few seconds:-)

Yep, deleting dairy and nuts could really do the trick.

Sprinting:

1) In the house - You could run in place as fast as you can for a bit. Rest. Repeat twice. This one you can do any time of day.

2) If you're ever feeling really adventurous, take a walk in the dark of night so nobody sees you:-) Do you have a park with dirt paths? Race yourself or someone else to a tree, a bush, etc. Rest. Repeat twice. If that's too scary, do #1. That's my favorite.

I'd keep the fat. When it gets low, I find I get hungry. But play around and see what works for you.

Fruit sometimes is a good thing to lower too.

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayColeman View Post
    Typical calories and macros would be something like: 1400 cals (but ranged from 1200-1700 depending on what I ate that day, obviously.) and fat ~100g, protein ~85g, carbs ~70g.

I don't take any medications at all. I barely even take ibprofen. Nor do I drink alcohol.

I briskly walk about 1.5 miles most days because I walk to work. A couple times a week I do weighted squats, lunges, push-ups, tricep dips, crunches, planks, etc. Nothing too strenuous, but it definitely is work for me since I'm still out of shape.

I don't usually have a problem with the nut flours, but nut butter is a whole other story. I don't let myself buy it anymore. That stuff is addicting!

It's interesting that you suggest to cut nuts and dairy- I was thinking of doing that. I love dairy though- raw cheese, butter, raw cream. Love it. Nuts, on the other hand, I could live without. But I will most likely try cutting them both out (again). And just yesterday I was thinking about decreasing fat as well.

Unfortunately don't have access to a gym or place to do lifting, although I would love to be able to. And sprinting on the sidewalk/street freaks me out. This might be a silly question but without access to a treadmill and not wanting to sprint on the street, how else can I do sprints? I want to try.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

Hmmm another vote for taking out dairy and nuts. This is perhaps the answer... or at least the main culprit. We shall see!

Ahh, running in place really fast at home? I CAN do that.
    And I totally agree about planks! Sheesh- they can be so hard to do, but I always feel so accomplished when I do them for whatever my goal amount of time may be.

Yes, fruit... I barely eat any as it is but I might need to cut it out completely again. I think I'm really sensitive to it.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Hmmm, I also just read on Dr. Hyman's website that while losing fat the body releases stored pesticides&toxins which affect thyroid function and can halt weight loss. I'm wondering if because my body was shedding a lot of fat quickly, if this is applicable? Also, the right half of my thyroid has been enlarged since I was 16. It was just a small, marble-sized goiter but over the past 12 years has gotten substantially larger. But only on the right side. The left side is fine.
    So after reading about the thyroid in that one article, I then read another of his specifically about hypothyroidism and I fit several of the symptoms, but not all. I'm now wondering if my thyroid is not functioning properly??
    Anyone have any insight to this?
    Thanks!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried going back to the way you were eating / living / moving when you felt optimal? I'm thinking pre Oct 2011. Stick with what works for you
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

BemleyCeuben is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't even realize that I was eating more fruit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast