Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Grease Going Bad? page

HelloMeteor is offline Member

Bacon Grease Going Bad?

I have probably 3 cups of bacon grease in the fridge. The thing is, I just poured it into some drinking glasses and didn't cover it. Whenever I had more I just poured it on top, without straining it, thinking I would eventually melt it all again at once and strain it then.

Will bacon grease go bad since it wasn't covered. My understanding is that it's a saturated fat and saturated fats are very stable. So is it still ok to eat? It's probably no more than two months old at the bottom and maybe a couple weeks old on the top of the first cup.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about age, but growing up, my parents used to nuke our bacon on one of those fancy nuker dishes and they'd never refrigerate it or drain it until it got full at which time they'd toss it in the garbage (b/c that was when bacon grease was bad for us). no one ever got sick from the grease that touched our bacon in that instance...

I don't think covering vs leaving open is bad or good. I don't think it matters. But, it is an animal product, so it needs refrigeration.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it would be best to store it in an ice cube tray in the freezer if you're not using it very quickly? Then you have about 2 tbsp when you need it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    If there are any little meat/bacon granules in the layers, it might not be in the best condition for eating, depending on air contact. Your personal experience as to whether your stomach can handle 'iffy' stuff is probably the best guide. You mention that you didn't strain it, so it might not just be fat, but fat with little bits of protein/carbon. If you're worried, toss it. Just a good excuse to make some more...BACON!

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I've been keeping bacon grease for years. I used to not strain it, but found it would smell and taste really gross after awhile (3 months, maybe?). If you eat it fast, I don't think it's a big deal. I strain it now and it keeps so much longer.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I just started keeping the bacon grease yesterday! I used a coffee filter to strain it and put in in a glass jar with a screw on cap in the fridge~ I'm hoping this is the right way ~

BemleyCeuben is offline Junior Member
    I don't think covering vs leaving open is bad or good.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I keep mine in a covered glass pyrex dish, and just add to it as I go, and scoop out what I need. I don't think it lasts long enough in my fridge to go bad. Growing up, my mom and grandma always had a bacon grease can in the fridge. I don't recall seeing a rancid one.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Don't saturated fats basically never go rancid?

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My experience is that just about anything left open in the fridge begins to taste like tainted fridge. Dunno if harmful, but not very pleasant. Put a lid on that jar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast