Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tempted by free pets on Craigslist. page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Tempted by free pets on Craigslist.

Shop Now
    So much meat! Don't pretend you don't see "Free Rabbits" and start fantasizing about stew! Question is, where is the creeper who actually DOES it, and eats these pet animals?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    your an ideal example of taking this primal shit too far.
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    So much meat! Don't pretend you don't see "Free Rabbits" and start fantasizing about stew! Question is, where is the creeper who actually DOES it, and eats these pet animals?
    Had a buddy who camped in his van 6mons. out of the year, kept a small herd of stray dogs around. "For protein".

He named the cats in our building taco, burrito, and enchilada.

He also ate fresh road kill, and poached the occasional cow. His method was to drive into it with his van, finish it off with baseball bats, and use a chainsaw to get as much meat as he could from it. This was a multi person operation, he referred to cows as "slow elk".

He's settled down a bit, and seems reasonably healthy.

Wow.

How long does it take to kill a cow with a baseball bat? I mean, how many swings to get through the skull? Just wondering. Seems like the wrong tool for the job, extremely the wrong tool.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that pet food is not very healthy. You might be better off purchasing rabbits that are being sold for food and raising them yourself on a good healthy diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    I can't even begin to comment.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Or just quarantine and feed them real food for a month. Even grain-fed cattle transform in a month on grass.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Our pet rabbit was a meat rabbit.

I remember a woman in our neighborhood way back when would have a sign that said "Rabbits -- pet or meat." If you wanted it as a meat, she would butcher it for you right there on the side of the road (cleanly, swiftly, etc).

A friend of mine is a breeder of fancy-pants rabbits that are typically in rabbit shows. She has created two new color ways that are now part of her breed's standard.

That woman eats more rabbits than she sells or shows -- because you have to cull when you are breeding.

It's really NOT that big of a deal.

The really important thing is to know how they are cared for and what breed they are. If you are looking for meat, you want rex, flemish giants, nz whites, and several other large breeds. They have the most meat. If you are looking for fiber, you want to go with woolies, angoras, and related. They are smaller rabbits -- so breeding for fiber (the fur, which is plucked and then spun usually) is pretty much the only use, though they are edible, they are just a lot smaller than they look (being like 90% fluff!).

Another friend of mine breeds angoras for her fiber, and sells them to other fiber artists, and keeps a small "herd" of them (yes, we misuse herd because it is funny). She does eat them sometimes, but it's pretty rare. Their fur is worth keeping them alive for her.

I'm not romantic about these animals, honestly. Your best bet would be to see if these free rabbits are from different genetic streams and see if you can then begin breeding. Add a free buck now and again, and you'll have a different genetic situation. You can then butcher several at a time and freeze them.

Is it creepy? It may be to some people. But rabbits are food, and you could easily take them and start breeding them for that purpose -- assuming you have the space. Why not?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I'd respect the owner. If they really care about the pet but just can't afford to raise it and are looking for a good home... them I really don't think its right to go and kill it for food immediately after purchasing it.

If its some breeder that doesnt care about the animals..then by all means..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Honestly, I'd respect the owner. If they really care about the pet but just can't afford to raise it and are looking for a good home... them I really don't think its right to go and kill it for food immediately after purchasing it.
    huh? I think you mean in that scenario it is "right" to eat the "pet"?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast