Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood glucose readings page

SGRhapsodos is offline Junior Member

Blood glucose readings

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello!

I have been doing primal/paleo lifestyle for about 2 months now. I started this to manage celiac symptoms after going on a gluten free diet kept me depressed and with no energy. I used to eat a lot of rice, beans, etc after quitting gluten and felt horrible. I got a random blood glucose test at the time and it read 72 and it was about an hour after eating lunch. Fast forward now going on primal/paleo and my doctor recommended me to get a BG monitor. I decided to go for a test and ate 4 prunes. The base BG was 97 and then it spiked to 155 in 45 minutes. I felt pretty sick at this point, and re tested after 15 minutes and it dropped to 117. I measured again and it went up 135 on it's own. I then had a primal lunch and my bs had stayed stable at 120 for 3 hours now. The spike made me feel quite sick. My mom says that I need more carbs, but why do I have more energy since I took them off my diet?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGRhapsodos View Post
    Hello!

I have been doing primal/paleo lifestyle for about 2 months now. I started this to manage celiac symptoms after going on a gluten free diet kept me depressed and with no energy. I used to eat a lot of rice, beans, etc after quitting gluten and felt horrible. I got a random blood glucose test at the time and it read 72 and it was about an hour after eating lunch. Fast forward now going on primal/paleo and my doctor recommended me to get a BG monitor. I decided to go for a test and ate 4 prunes. The base BG was 97 and then it spiked to 155 in 45 minutes. I felt pretty sick at this point, and re tested after 15 minutes and it dropped to 117. I measured again and it went up 135 on it's own. I then had a primal lunch and my bs had stayed stable at 120 for 3 hours now. The spike made me feel quite sick.
    Blood Sugar 101

Quote Originally Posted by SGRhapsodos View Post
    My mom says that I need more carbs, but why do I have more energy since I took them off my diet?
    Fat is a better fuel. It produces more ATP than glucose. And, its ketone bodies byproduct can also be used as fuel.

Fatty Acid Oxidation
    The oxidation of fatty acids yields significantly more energy per carbon atom than does the oxidation of carbohydrates. The net result of the oxidation of one mole of oleic acid (an 18-carbon fatty acid) will be 146 moles of ATP (2 mole equivalents are used during the activation of the fatty acid), as compared with 114 moles from an equivalent number of glucose carbon atoms.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Your Mum is right. Eat more carbs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Your Mum is right. Eat more carbs.
    The thing is that I do eat carbs. I eat dairy, fruits, and starchy veggies. I have problems when I cut them out of my diet, but the prunes really kicked my behind today. The other day my dietician asked me to drink an ensure and I started shaking about 45 minutes after taking it. I didn't have my blood glucose monitor, so I dont know how high my bs spiked. I'm so new to this low carb lifestyle that it's weird to me to not eat them, but too many carbs make me so sick!

What's your context? Weight, % body fat, yada yada?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I'm female 5'5" and 105 lbs. I lost a lot of weight after celiac and then some when carbs started kicking my ass. The machine at the gym. said I was 11% body fat and the trainer was thrilled. I was like "that's really low". I don't trust those machines too much, but I don't know how to do a pinch test. I've never been overweight and never worried about eating too many carbs. I loved carbs! Celiac started after I gave birth.

OK - I expect you have blood glucose issues from eating low carb.

And you say eating carbs makes you sick.

You are underweight with a low lean mass. That's the source of your insulin resistance and high blood glucose.

I'm 5 foot 3 with 115 lbs lean mass. My blood glucose has always measured in the ideal range because health is my number one priority.

So should I build more muscle? I'm trying desperately to gain weight, but it's been very hard. I'm currently taking a whey protein supplement that helps. I eat very well, lots of fat, protein and healthy carbs. It seems that the higher the percentage of carbs are in a meal, the worse I feel. Believe me, I want to be healthy more than anything. The celiac symptoms consumed me for 3 years until I was diagnosed. This carb problem is small compared to what I went through with celiac, but I don't want to suffer anymore. Primal/paleo seems to help but I want to know if my glucose readings are high or normal. Doctors just don't think anything's wrong besides the 10 lb + weight loss that won't go away.

I doubt that 11% body fat = low lean mass. That's less than most men!

? You have low lean mass which is undesirable. It's an absolute quantity. Yes it is obviously less than that of most men. It makes you very unhealthy.

When I ate gluten I could eat 3500 calories a day and not get overweight because I was a genuine celiac who also was very active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast