Thread: Clamming? page

Pomegranate is offline Junior Member

Clamming?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

I'm a big fan of clamming-- when the weather is nice, I gather my own clams, mussels, and other shellfish. I know that shellfish are highly nutritious, however, I'm wondering if I'm exposing myself to any toxins/pollution by eating shellfish that I gather myself. I go clamming on the north shore of long island, ny.

Thoughts?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't know what the local conditions are like where you are, but i think if you cook them, you oughta hedge your bets...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Don't they do ocean water testing where you are? They do here in California. They let you know when it's not okay to collect shellfish. They probably only monitor bacteria, but since the bacteria is usually bad after a storm which not only flushes a lot of bacteria out from creeks but churns up the sediment, I would think it would correlate to when other nasties are present from the churned up sediment.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Don't they do ocean water testing where you are? They do here in California. They let you know when it's not okay to collect shellfish. They probably only monitor bacteria, but since the bacteria is usually bad after a storm which not only flushes a lot of bacteria out from creeks but churns up the sediment, I would think it would correlate to when other nasties are present from the churned up sediment.
    You might be able to get a good idea of bacteria from some water testing, but I'd be very wary eating filter feeders that close to a GIANT population center. Just think of all that runoff.

This reminded me a lot of the episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia when Frank start eating catfish out of the river. Before this clip they talk about how the government says that they are toxic, but that's just a cover for them being endangered.