Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about serving size? page

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member

What about serving size?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've read the section of the book on nutrition and read through the site. Unless I'm missing a page somewhere, I have seen nothing on an appropriate AMOUNT of food. I know what foods to eat, which to avoid and how they affect my body, but I don't know how much is enough and how much is too much.

Does CW come into play here with approximately 4 oz or a deck of card size piece of meat still apply or do I just stuff my face til I'm full? How do I know if I'm eating the right quantities of food or overeating?

I might be missing the obvious here, which is why I'm asking.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

activia is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating foods that promote Satiety then portion size does not seem to be an issue. Eat enough to get you to your next meal..don't snack. Don't be afraid if you feel hungry it might pass in a couple minutes, or drink some water..or you wont feel hungry.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Then maybe I'm not doing this right.

For breakfast today, I ate 2 hard boiled eggs. I felt satisfied after that and placed my 3rd egg and greek yogurt in the fridge.

Then about 10ish I started feeling that feeling in my tummy that says EAT NOW - borderline nausea. I had 28 almonds.

Now, at 11:30ish, I'm feeling that nausea feeling again, telling me that maybe I should eat something. I have 3 chicken legs and 2 red potatoes for lunch. Should I eat that now, or eat my other egg and yogurt?

Are my meals big enough is what I guess I'm asking.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been eating this way? I ask because your starving-gonna-eat-my-arm-off should not really be happening.

I can give you an example of my day, but keep in mind I Intermittent Fast (complete fasting Monday, Wednesday, Friday) so if I ate this way every day I may not lose weight.

Breakfast, Snacks - None.
    Lunch (around 2pm) - Big salad, with homemade dressing (mayo, yogurt/cream, seasonings, some raw Organic Parmesan if I am doing a ceasar-type dressing) and this salad will ordinarily include either 3 eggs and 2 slices of fried Prosciutto, or a whole striploin steak, or a large chicken breast.
    Dinner (around 7pm or so) - About 12oz of meat plus veggies with butter. This might be a couple pork chops, or a rib steak/slice of roast, or maybe 1/4 chicken. Dinner MAY (about half the time) include a sweet potato.
    Once every 1-2 weeks I will have a generous helping of potato (baked, fried) or white rice (usually as a base for an otherwise primal curry dish)

Weight is coming off very well, and I feel great. I am in very very deep ketosis, even if I throw a few sweet potatoes in during the week. If I have potato/rice, it sets me back on the scale temporarily for a few days BUT in the long run it doesn't even slow me down.

You and I are about the same weight and with similar goals.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    For me, I eat a pound or two of meat (depending on if I lift weights) and a pound of vegetables every day. I divide this between one or two meals in a 2-6 hour feeding window. I'm a girl. If that gives you any direction.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Jenn-
    You may be having issues with satiety because you really aren't getting enough caloric intake. Run a typical day through fitday and see what it looks like. If it's low, start adding more healthy fats and (depending on your needs) carbs. If it's high, look at you macro nutrient ratios. It should come in roughly with half to 2/3 fat and the rest being protein and carbs.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think you need some more food! though it has its drawbacks, it may be worth it to calculate the calories you're taking in each day, just to get a baseline idea of how much energy you're getting. i would eat bigger meals to avoid snacks.
    Last edited by jakey; 03-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I need FAT to make me feel full for longer. If that were my breakfast, I would chop up those eggs and add a couple tsp of butter, and re-warm the bowl just till the butter melted/softened. Yum. Or I would start with the yogurt, and finish with the eggs. Or have some bacon with those eggs. Or I would slice those eggs onto a green salad and douse the works with a homemade olive oil-based dressing.

And if you're hungry, eat a meal, not a snack to take the edge off. Get FULL. I wouldn't have had 'breakfast' if I wasn't hungry at 'breakfast' time. I would 'break my fast' around somewhere between 10 and noon, when I'm truly hungry, with a hearty meal. Meat & veggies. Maybe followed up with yogurt & honey. And I don't snack on single foods. If I'm hungry, I'll eat a meal (might be a small one, but more than one food and bigger than a snack).
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Jenn-

When I first started eating this way I had about 3 days of HUNGER. I'm talking, couldn't get enough and still had food on my mind all of the time, kind of hunger. I ate. But I only ate Paleo foods. I was really really careful not to cheat during this time. My major goal is weight loss but I had just decided to listen to my body and see what happens. Now, fast forward to a few weeks later and I am eating maybe twice a day. Sometimes 3 times, but I don't even think of food that often until all of a sudden I'm hungry. It's amazing! So I say give your body the food, keep it primal, let it throw a fit about you giving up all the carbs, and don't worry about portion sizes. I came from WW and was freaked out about not counting out a "serving" of something at first. But without all that processed crap your body really will tell you when it is full once it adjusts (and this happens QUICKLY!)

Good luck!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your portions look sort of tiny to me and not very fat-rich. At the beginning a typical breakfast for me would be 2-4 fried eggs with some kind of side of meat (like a 6oz steak or 3 pieces of bacon or a big huge sausage.) Add some veggies, too. Usually a meal like that would keep me satisfied until about 4pm and then I'd just be hungry until I got home. Then I'd eat a piece of cheese with butter on top before dinner. After a while I no longer wanted that much food or that much fat and my portions went down and I no longer wanted the cheese and butter before dinner. I lost weight all along the way, big breakfast or small.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast