Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from grain-fed Iowa! page

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member

Greetings from grain-fed Iowa!

Shop Now
    Hello to all of my fellow educated eaters. I have been reading Mark's site since 1/20/12 and I am pleased to say that it is my newest addiction. I stumbled on this site while researching carb-flu, since I felt like I was under its spell for several weeks when I went back to eating low carb at the beginning of this year.
    Since then it has been my first resource for any health questions I may have and the source of countless hours of reading enjoyment.

First, a bit of background on me. I am currently 34 years old, working in a leadership position in manufacturing on the overnight shift. This isn't my first go-round eating a low carb diet and doing Grok-ish exercises, but this site has still helped me immensely since I found it. Many years ago, my wonderful mother recommended I eat a reduced carbohydrate diet because I had had weight problems throughout most of my life. Growing up extremely poor will lead to some less than ideal food choices, I guess. I had great success on Atkins and brought my weight from over 300 down to around 215, keeping it there for quite some time.

However, just over 10 years ago I moved from NY to IA and things changed for me. I was finishing up school so money became tight, once again causing me to eat processed junk for the sake of my budget. I bounced off of the 300 pound mark a few times, yo-yoing my weight back and forth between the 260s and there. This was hurting my self image, my overall health, and my happiness (and the long-term relationship I was in). I could never quite find that success that I found the first time on Atkins, and I had no idea why.

I started this year at 289 pounds and in probably the worst shape of my life. Much of the strength I had built up in the past was gone, stamina was zero, and happiness had faded with them. I was still able to have fun and enjoy life/my hobbies, I just wasn't my old self and had lost much of my confidence with women and relationships. When I returned from my east coast Christmas/New Years visit, I stopped eating processed and refined foods, and I cut out caffeine as well. My weight dropped a bit, but my energy level hit rock bottom and then my weight plateaued.

That's when I found this site, like I previously mentioned. I read as many articles as I could and studied the e-books. I made additional changes in my life, adding more supplements, getting more sun and walking more. I lowered my carb intake even further to attempt to break through my plateau, but nothing seemed to work. I even got to the point where I was counting calories, but with no avail. Sprinting didn't help, lifting didn't help, and I know that my lousy sleep habits weren't helping either.

Now for the good news. I hate to admit when I'm wrong (okay, I hate being wrong, admitting it isn't so bad), but I honestly thought I was giving the Primal lifestyle a good 100% effort. As you may have noticed, though, I failed to mention IF! I started fasting a couple of weeks ago, and the results have been amazing! I do 3 24+ hour fasts a week and the rest of the week I eat plenty of meat and veggies. I am currently at 258 pounds (I was stuck at around 270 on my plateau) and I feel fantastic! One of the best parts of allowing my body that time to heal is that I was able to kick my Zantac habit to the curb, which in turn allowed me to sleep better! Obviously this success has re-energized me and really lifted my spirits.

As I have read in other threads, though, this success comes with a cost. I am constantly bringing up my new and improved lifestyle wherever it fits into conversation and my jeans look like I borrowed them from Santa.

Anyway, sorry for the book-like intro, but like I said, I am so excited about all of this that I can't help but sing it from the rooftops. I am also extremely excited to be surrounded by like-minded people that I can draw inspiration and motivation from! I look forward to all of our future conversations.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I, for one, love your introduction!

Yep, I hate to be wrong too. Started primal on 1/16 of this year and immediately started tweaking it. Even decided to add dairy and cut out meat for four days. Guess what? I gained four pounds. Dropped dairy. Lost the four pounds! Duh!

So, I am down to the basics -- vegetables, meat, fowl, coconut oil, olive oil, one orange a day (in salad dressing) and some raisins.

And, like you, it's the IF that seems to be doing it. I'm eating a BAS (bad ass salad) once a day with everything in the above list in it. I'm hungry, yep, but it's working. The inches and weight are going down.

I bet we are saving money too.

Hope you have the money for some new jeans:-) That could be embarrassing! In a positive way!

But that's really marvelous. 258 and going down. Way to go. The forum is great. A lot of good stuff, funny stuff, and a bit of annoying stuff just to keep it and us in balance. Keep up the good work!
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Greetings back to you from another Iowan. Glad to have you around. I look forward to getting to know you.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thank you Jenn, I look forward to getting to know you as well! I'm definitely glad to see more Primal Iowans.

lopi, thanks for your response and I'm glad you like my intro! I have also removed dairy from my diet for the most part (due to my stomach issues) but will occasionally enjoy some cheese or sour cream. That is probably the food type that I'm most surprised that I don't miss, to be honest. I am definitely saving money eating this way (enough for the new clothes...ha ha) and also saving a lot of time on my fasting days. Talk about a win win!

So far I am loving all of the stories, advice and support I am seeing here. I hope I can become a valuable resource as well.
    Ed W. Age:35 Height: 6'4"
    SW: 289 (1/1/12) CW: 195 (11/1/12) GW: < 200 (Hit 198 on 10/3/12) Now onto body comp.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Hello fellow Iowan! Welcome to the greatest website in the world!
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Thanks, I'm glad to be here!
    SW: 289 (1/1/12) CW: 195 (11/1/12) GW: < 200 (Hit 198 on 10/3/12) Now onto body comp.

I love seeing Iowans here!!

Unique, there is a grass-fed beef producer that delivers to Ankeny. It's Wallace Farms. If you do a google search for Wallace Farms Iowa, you should find them. They deliver to Ankeny and Ames 1x per month (even Cedar Rapids and Iowa City - local for me).

Prices are reasonable too, I think.

ninjas.rawk is offline Member
    Just wanted to say welcome from another Iowan.

I see you live kinda close to me, looking forward to reading your posts!
    Somewhere under all this fat is a strong, healthy, beautiful and sexy woman. The search for her begins now.

Wow! how many of us are there???? lol

PrimalCon New York
    I'm spreading the word to other Iowans as fast as I can.

I found Wallace Farms on eatwild.com but unfortunately signed up too late for the March delivery and I'll be in NJ the day of the April delivery, but I definitely look forward to trying out their stuff!

Thanks, ninjas.rawk! I am glad to see more locals here!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast