Thread: Side dish ideas page

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member

Question Side dish ideas

Primal Fuel
    All I can think of to make for dinner each night anymore is potatoes. Can someone please give me some ideas for side dishes?

Thank you!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Leeks

Slice the leek and cook with melted butter until soft. Grate nutmeg in and put in about 1/4 of cream and let it cook down.

Carrots

Slice the carrots and boil in water until just getting soft, not too soft. In a small bowl, put good olive oil and some good vinegar, fresh chopped garlic, put the carrots and let the carrots absorb the oil and cool a bit. You can also add parsely and/or fresh chilli.
    Life. Be in it.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    brussels sprouts pan roasted with butter

roasted root veggies, cut em up and toss with fat of choice and roast

sauteed spinach with olive oil, lemon and garlic

roasted broccoli

cauliflower mash--steam or boil cauliflower til soft, mix with cream/butter/salt whatever and mash or whip it up

Jenna, I think I will try the cauliflower mash. I have two heads of cauliflower in my fridge that I REALLY need to get some use out of before they go bad. Thanks for the idea. I'll have cauliflower mash and broccoli for dinner tonight with my butterflied pork chop cutlets.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Are you feeling the need to substitute something different for the conventional 'starchy' side dish?

I just have MORE of whatever meat and veg are on the menu, and leave the rice or potatoes to the rest of the family. By the time I've had a side salad, half a plate of roasted cauliflower or asparagus and a pile of meat, I'm full.

As you can see, the rest of my household isn't Primal. Yet.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    any roasted cruciferous veggie is great...i really like brussels sprouts and broccoli. brussels spouts and butter nut squash tossed with some bacon and balsamic vinegar then roasted is probably the best side dish ever.
    sauteed spinach (with a bit of bacon, or shallots)is another good, and quick side.
    i'm also a fan of taking whatever veggies/tubers i have in my fridge or on my counter, mixing them all together, throw on some oil and spices, then stick it in the oven until everything is cooked (you may want to par cook some things first depending on what you're adding). so much variety, you'll want to make that the main course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Are you feeling the need to substitute something different for the conventional 'starchy' side dish?
    I am. Growing up our side dishes were always some form of potato and a frozen veggie (usually peas or corn). When I moved out on my own, I didn't cook much. When I moved in with my husband, I reverted back to the potato and frozen veggie dinners. I've started using fresh veggies instead of frozen when time allows but I'm still having trouble coming up with side dishes that are quick and easy that my family will appreciate. They are not primal either.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My non-primal SO loves cauliflower mash- either fully pureed or left more coarse. I also do a lot of roasted sweet potatoes and sweet potato mash. Big salads full of veggies. Roast thin sliced zucchini sprinkled with parm. Or layer the zucchini with marinara and parm. Love brussels sprouts with dijon mustard and butter. Last week I did a pasta primavera for the SO- asparagus, snap peas, spinach, carrots sauted with olive oil, butter and garlic, finish with cream or parmesan (I tossed mine with chicken breast). Beet salad- beets, apples, walnuts, small amount of vinegar toss in some cream or sour cream. Snap peas in butter with mint.

Get yourself a good book on how to prepare veggies. Vegetarian cook books are actually great resources, provided you look the other way at the grain. Deborah Madison has a book that basicall lists all veggies with 3-4 ways to prepare them.