Thread: New to site page

Honeyrider1977 is offline Junior Member

New to site

Hey everyoneÖ

Iím new to this site and searching for some encouragement from others going through the same thing as myself. Iím 34 year old female diagnosed with RA in August, 2011. Although I havenít been diagnosed with anything else, Iím pretty sure Iíve got some other auto-immune stuff going on as wellÖ because Iíve got some other crazy symptoms in addition to my RA. I just donít feel like myself anymore. I went to the Rheumatologist once and Iíll never go back if I can help it. Long story short I left cryingÖ Iím desperate and determined NOT to take the Western Medicine route, but man itís been tough trying to change my lifestyle! Not to mention I have a very unhealthy relationship with food, so this has been really challenging for me to say the least.

The first thing I did was cut out processed foodsÖ I think Iíve been pretty successful with that. More recently Iíve decided to cut out grains; Iím doing my best to be gluten free, although I suspect itís probably hiding out in some of the foods I eat. Iím also considering the removal of dairy from my diet as well. For the last 4 months I was doing the nutrition response testing thing- although I donít really think itís helped me, as my symptoms have really not improved. However, Iím seeing a new Naturopath this week- and will likely get ALCAT testing done to determine exactly what my food sensitivities are.

Auto-immune disorder sucks, and Iíd never say this anywhere else but If I canít live a reasonably productive life then I donít want to live at all- If you donít have your health you have nothing, period. I really want to overcome this, at least get it under control. I guess Iím just looking for some success stories and some encouragement. 

Thanks for listening!

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I admire your desire to live medication-free! My success story is still a work in progress, but I can say that 3 months into eating primally it now requires zero effort to maintain. Don't get me wrong, the first few weeks are miserable (if you are as much of a sugar addict as I was) but it feels completely natural now and I never think twice about eating processed foods.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have suffered from depression and anxiety since 2003 and it has only gotten worse since my husband and I had children. I chose this route of nutrition in hopes of one day eliminating medication from my life. While I don't have the same illness as you, I feel we're on similar paths and might be able to walk together.

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, as well as a 29 year old husband. I'm 32. Changing my diet is the hardest thing I have ever done - even harder than quitting smoking. It's tough b/c we have to face our food demons every day. I have an unhealthy relationship with food too. I am a self-proclaimed sugar addict.

We'll do it. Just make one decision at a time and you'll ge through.

BTW, there is a success stories board on the forum if you're interested.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)