Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Once you go Grok, you never look back! page

Danpuel is offline Junior Member

Once you go Grok, you never look back!

Shop Now
    Hey everyone ,

I'm new to this forum, but I have been following Mark's blog now for around 3-4 months.

Backstory:

Last August I was 18 stone (sorry, I know most of you are Americans and don't use stones but I'm not sure what that is in pounds (14 pounds per stone) -- it's VERY heavy though!)

I went on a starvation diet and lost 6 stone (6 x 14 pounds) from August-December 2011. Unhealthy I know, but I needed to do something. The only problem was when I reached 12 stone, I couldn't shift any more weight. I wanted to be between 11-11 1/2 stone but no matter how much I starved, I couldn't shift the last few pounds.

I've since learned why, and it's all thanks to Mark and Primal/Paleo.

I was eating 1 bowl a day of rice and chicken. That was it. A big bowl in the morning then nothing for the rest of the day. Now of course I know that starting off the day on a bowl of carbs is really the last thing you want to be doing if you're trying to lose weight!

As soon as I made the transition to Paleo/Primal (more Primal than Paleo I'd say), the weight literally melted off. I went from eating 1 bowl of tasteless food a day to eating 2 big meals and snacks in between and every day I weighed in less and less! It was disappearing before my eyes more quickly than it had when I had been starving myself and I wasn't having to suffer the hunger pangs.

So that's me. I'm now a svelte 11 stone 4 pounds and feel great!

The reason that I decided to write this post was really just to say thanks to Mark and the primal/paleo community in general! Without this community I would never have made the leap and never discovered a way of controlling my weight.

I have been overweight my entire life and even when I'd lost weight in the past I'd always kept my food consumption well below optimal for fear of the weight creeping back on (3 meals of conventional wisdom's recommended foods a day would see me gaining weight.)

Now I feel that I can control my weight effortlessly, and I'll never be worried about getting fat again!

So, thanks, all of you: the forum and community, the blog, Mark Sisson, Gary Taubes, Robb Wolf et al!!

Question: how do you manage to convince family members/loved ones of the benefits of primal/paleo living? Nobody takes you seriously when you tell them that saturated fat won't kill them, that steaks are great for you, and that you can eat eggs in abundance -- and lose weight!

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I love reading the success stories!!

I share whatever I learn with as many friends as will listen, but I struggle with getting people to make any changes. It's really frustrating, which you have obviously felt as well.

Hey,

Thanks for commenting

I definitely struggle to get people to listen but my brother just 3 days ago started on a Peloe/Primal diet after my recommendations. That's something I guess!

Anthrocavedude is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations!

I, too, enjoy reading the success stories.

What might help are before/after photos. Keep them in a small photo album that you can carry in a purse or bookbag. You can arrange the first half of the album with your overweight photos, then the second half with your thinner/Primal lifetstyle photos. Then, for more emphasis, safe the very last few pages with single photos of before and after, the one right after the other.

I find that lecturing people can be a turn-off. It's like proselytizing. Much better to lead by example. :-)

Keep up the great work!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpuel View Post
    Question: how do you manage to convince family members/loved ones of the benefits of primal/paleo living? Nobody takes you seriously when you tell them that saturated fat won't kill them, that steaks are great for you, and that you can eat eggs in abundance -- and lose weight!
    If seeing isn't believing for them, then I don't think you'll ever convince them. If they watched you drop 7 stone (94 lbs) and they still don't believe, then I think they're beyond repair... but definitely keep showing them how it works and eventually, like your brother, they'll start coming around.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I have quite a few before and after photos so it might be useful to do something with them

thanks for the advice!

It's true, some people just don't want to listen, but it's disheartening when you know how much good it could do them if they did listen!

I feel people in UK could benefit from greater awareness of this miracle diet/way of living as, while our waistlines are expanding in line the US', the dietary advice/wisdom lags behind.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpuel View Post
    Question: how do you manage to convince family members/loved ones of the benefits of primal/paleo living?
    You don't. You shut up about it. When people ask you what you eat, you say, "I eat natural food and avoid chemically processed oils and added white sugar."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    Inspiring your brother to eat this way is a great start.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

That's fine for people you don't really know but it's not exactly the most pragmatic solution if you don't want your loved ones to suffer the diseases of affluence that could be so easily avoided by a change in diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast