Thread: Getting A Blood Test... QUICK QUESTION page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

Getting A Blood Test... QUICK QUESTION

Shop Now
    Hi,

I wanna get a blood test to check how my body is going overall... especially my thyroid.

Is it as simple as walking into the Doc's office and asking for a blood test?

Does a blood test report (results) come back with all information collected or do I have to specify which results I want before the test is done?

Thanks

Oz

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    You will want the expanded thyroid tests, not just the TSH.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would also ask for any mineral testing (such as iron, potassium, Vitamin D etc.) and a FULL cholesterol panel, if you're interested in that. Many doctors won't do a full panel unless you push for it, but without all the numbers, you can't tell much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Thyroid:
    TSH
    Free T3 and T4
    Revere T3
    see the STTM website (Stop the Thyroid Madness)
    HS CRP will give you a full body marker for inflammation
    Agree with Full cholesterol fasting panel, as well as Vit D
    Iron labs plus Ferritin also good. All are interrelated, so picking out something in isolation is harder to read than several tests that evaluate the whole cascade of pathways.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Hi,

I wanna get a blood test to check how my body is going overall... especially my thyroid.

Does a blood test report (results) come back with all information collected or do I have to specify which results I want before the test is done?

Thanks

Oz
    Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Oz
    It would be more important to look at your lifestyle and history in relation to any current complaints. Blood tests outside of the aforementioned context are useless, and in fact could do more harm than good.

However, to answer your question yes and no. Reading the tests and determining what they mean is no easy task. Finding a functional medicine practitioner regardless of Dr. status may be your best bet if your really concerned you have some thyroid issues.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

No. You'll have to make an appointment, fill out paper work, and then the doctor will ask you why you want the blood tests? What symptoms or history are you presenting that would necessitate invasive testing.
    On the other hand there are ways to get the tests you want if you are willing to pay full price out of your own pocket. You can search the internet for these labs. Usually you then just need a place to do the venipuncture.

There are very specific tests for each sort of things you are checking. And each test is billed individually. On top of that if you have it done at a DR office then he will likely just report to you what the significant findings are. You would have to request the results from them if you wanted to look at it yourself.

Thanks