Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with a Blood Glucose meter page

rockrunner Guest

Playing with a Blood Glucose meter

Primal Fuel
    I started telling some of my co-workers about the Primal Blueprint a few weeks ago and 3 of them are trying it now and two of those are diabetics. On of them gave me a Blood Glucose meter and I've been trying different foods etc. seeing whats bad for me.

So far only soda pop has really stood out as spiking my blood glucose reading and it stayed hi for well over 3 hours...that was 2 glass's of Mountain Dew. Potatoes, Beer and Wine didn't cause a spike at all but did get a medium spike from Acorn Squash.

I'm not sure how reliable these Blood Glucose meters are but they seem a bit crude to me...I can tell enough from this that I don't have diabetes issues and its good to see for myself about that...so I would recommend trying this to anyone who is curious about their blood glucose levels.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Ive recently got a meter for blood glucose and ketones. Ive noticed that my blood sugar levels are getting higher and higher on every reading (highest being 8.0 on an overnight fast), when before starting the paleo diet I always had readings of about 3 to 4.
    This is a bit worrying. Is this a normal thing to happen? Im in my 8th week 'paleo.'
    Any help gratefully recieved!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I suggest Jenny's Blood Sugar 101 web site to understand the numbers. Linked in my signature

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Ive recently got a meter for blood glucose and ketones. Ive noticed that my blood sugar levels are getting higher and higher on every reading (highest being 8.0 on an overnight fast), when before starting the paleo diet I always had readings of about 3 to 4.
    This is a bit worrying. Is this a normal thing to happen? Im in my 8th week 'paleo.'
    Any help gratefully recieved!

I would have to say I have NO idea based on what you just posted. Every blood glucometer I've ever met reads in dL/ml (i think thats right) and the 'normal' range for a fasting blood glucose is 60-100. So do you know what scale your glucometer reads? Maybe we can do a conversion and figure out what the heck it means!

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I would have to say I have NO idea based on what you just posted. Every blood glucometer I've ever met reads in dL/ml (i think thats right) and the 'normal' range for a fasting blood glucose is 60-100. So do you know what scale your glucometer reads? Maybe we can do a conversion and figure out what the heck it means!
    60-100 is 3.3 to 5.6 so my fasting reading was 150.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Rattybag, are you eating a lot of carbs at dinner time? A lot of protein with little fat? Drinking tea with sugar before bed? Could be dawn effect but seems a bit too high for that. Do you test as soon as you rise in the morning before you brush teeth? Tooth pastes with xylitol spike my glucose an ungodly amount for hours and that's with just brushing and not eating it. So I now use unsweetened tooth paste. I also know if I eat more than an ounce or two of sweet potato my blood glucose is around 100 the next morning but other tubers like carrots, beets and parsnips have no effect no matter what amount I eat.

ETA I also noticed that if I wait to test my fasting glucose after I've been up for an hour or more even though I haven't eaten it starts to creep up.

To be honest, most of my carbs are eaten at lunch time and I realy eat after 6pm.
    I test the minute Im up so not toothpaste, and I dont have sugar in my coffee. (Dont drink tea).
    Doesnt seem to be anything in particular that makes it high - its high all the time and I cant work out why!
    I always had very low blood sugars pre paleo.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, not sure what the problem could be. Is the meter you have one which needs to be calibrated with glucose solution? I know some brands of meters are known for being inaccurate by about 20 dl/ml in each direction but off the top of my head I don't know what they are. I use the Walmart brand, not only is it cheap but it's one of the most accurate on the market.

You're washing your hands well before testing and using a fresh lancer? I know when I first went primal that it took about 2 months before my blood glucose to act predictably - even 6+ months later it's still not perfect but a LOT better than it was. Is there a chance that you are/were undiagnosed type II diabetic? If your fasting glucose is consistently reading that high, I'd go into the doctor and get a blood draw for an official, more accurate reading and get an A1c and metabolic panel to check out your kidney's and liver function.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'd be tempted to post this over on Robb Wolf's site and see if he has anything to say.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I'd be tempted to post this over on Robb Wolf's site and see if he has anything to say.
    Could you tell me what his website is? I'll do just that and see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast