Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How damaging is a huge fruit binge early on? page

glossy is offline Junior Member

How damaging is a huge fruit binge early on?

Primal Fuel
    Ugg! I am going on 2 weeks now and have been doing pretty good. I feel like I have passed the worst of the low carb flu and even seen some weight loss. I have not once slipped up on grains but just tonight I went a little over board and ate almost half of our fruit supply. 2 pears, 2 apples, a large grapefruit, a huge bowl of mixed berries and to top it off, some celery dipped in peanut butter. This was right after dinner. Not only do I feel sick and in pain but I feel like a failure and am wondering just how much back sliding this colorful dessert caused.

My main concern is the issue on how our bodies slowly begin to create appropriate pathways to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. My body is still in such a transitional stage. Will the production of those fat burning enzymes start all over now? I guess I need a little hope that this is just a minor set back.

Thanks for any help here!

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, tbh. You've had a good 2 weeks and then had a slip up, which is hardly that bad anyway as it's fruit, which is okay in moderation. I'm not sure about how far it'd set you back biologically, would probably be too many variables to give an accurate figure. I'm a big fan of averages myself. So if you gorge on a load of fruit that equates to, say, 150g carbs, in 2 weeks that's added about 10g of carbs to your daily total. No big deal. You certainly haven't undone 2 weeks of effort in one evening.

I'd be more worried about dipping celery in peanut butter though. Not because they're particularly bad foods either, just that it sounds like a horrible combination!

The bigger problem is probably how you feel about it mentally. DO NOT start beating yourself up about it. Pointless and counter-productive. We all slip up from time to time, even those hardcore few who claim to be 100%ers. I'm a devout foodie and will partake in small amounts of very un-primal foods from time to time. It fits into my 80/20 and, you know, life's for living. If your only slip is a 2-weeky fruit session and a bit of peanut butter, you're doing great.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it either.

Physically, you'll be fine in no time (no more feeling sick, etc), and honestly, this is not something to freak out about. Might do good to figure out why you did it, because if you weren't satisfied, you may need to rebalance your nutrients.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Nothing to worry about. The worst of it is the peanut butter- I wouldn't keep that in the house.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    My stomach usually makes me pay when I go overboard with the fruit... but it is hard not to with the strawberries starting to come into season.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Draw a line through it and move on, don't beat yourself up.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think all it will do is delay keto adaptation by a day. You could probably have a bowl of berries and cream every day instead and feel less deprived.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I would not stock up on fruit till June if I were you. Eat what you have then just buy some berries till it warms up.

glossy is offline Junior Member
    Where can I find out more information on Keto-Adaptation? I have a VERY stubborn 10-15 pounds of fat to drop and have assumed that the lower in carbs I go the easier it will be for me to do so-hence the panic over my fruit bowl episode. Right now I strive to be around 50 carbs a day or less. Am I correct to assume that the lower I go in carbs the faster my body will adapt to burn fat? Sorry for the subject switch on everyone!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My only salvation against fruit is not touching them, no matter what. I promised myself that I will eat berries from my garden in the summer, and that's it. Otherwise your 2 apples and 2 pears are a laughing stock compared to my fruit binges. I start eating fruit, I just can't stop. When I don't eat fruit at all, eventually not having becomes not wanting (takes about a month). This morning I was peeling and slicing six kiwis for my child's school project, and that's after washing and cutting up strawberries for my folks' breakfast, and I am still recovering from a sugar binge 1.5 weeks ago... I was ready to cry, but I know how bad my sugar addiction is and the only way to keep appetite and mood level is to avoid all sweet flavors, which, unfortunately, includes fruit. if there is one thing I am envious of, it is of folks who do not have the huge sweet tooth/sugar addiction!

At least I have a half-decent solution for nut butters. I simply make eggplant caviar, it is very similar in texture and appearance to the nut butters.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast