Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost Passed Out During Workout, What Gives? page

Almost Passed Out During Workout, What Gives?

Primal Fuel
    Today I was working out and I came very close to passing out, everything went black and my hearing started to get really screwed up. This happened a few times throughout my work out and I've never experienced anything like it before. This will be the start of my third week eating primal. Any thoughts as to what the deal with this is and how to counter balance it should it occur again?

activia is offline Senior Member
    You need salt/magnesium/carbs

Its a sign of low blood pressure. Have a banana before hand Add some salt to your food.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

apple is offline Senior Member
    You might be experiencing lower blood pressure than your body is used to. Take slow, deep breaths when you feel like that. Also monitor salt and potassium intake. The inner ear utilizes a very exact ratio of salt to potassium to function properly (inner ear contributes to balance as well as hearing). If you are low on either, you could feel the effects in your balance, particularly if your BP is lower.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    What exactly were you doing when you experienced this?
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

It was during a self defense workout, while doing pad drills.

Realistically I am probably low on both salt and potassium.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I don't want to scare you or anything, but I definitely think it's potassium or some sort of electrolyte imbalance. This is of course anecdotal, but I had a really scary incident with ventricular tachycardia that put me in the hospital, turns out that I was very potassium deficient. The near-passing out (my vision went dark, and my hearing was slowed down and distorted) was what I experienced during the short but scary episode of v-tach. I happened to be wearing a heart monitor at the time (I had similar incidents in the weeks leading up to it, so I'd already been to a cardiologist) which is why I know exactly what it was. To be honest, you may want to see a doc.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I had normally a little low blood pressure before I went low carb, when I went low carb it dropped even more so I HAD to add lots of salt to all my foods. I agree with potassium as well which is why I suggested a banana
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    My electrolytes were unbalanced during the blazing summer heat at an outdoor event that involved hours of walking for miles and miles. I vomited, nearly passed out. Thankfully I knew what was going on but it was still scary, especially when your hearing goes!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    When i was getting dizzy/faint, I needed more protein.

Actually now that I think about it, my blood pressure typically is always low, so I'm sure its even lower now that I've been eating primal...ooops

I typically don't add salt to anything and I've been avoiding the higher sugared fruits being that I have weight that I want to lose. Realistically will a banana once a week hinder that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast