Thread: Question on "natural" sweeteners page

Stella1964 is offline Junior Member

Question on "natural" sweeteners

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all, newbie here. Could I please have some clarification on the use of natural sweeteners in the PB program? I understand that Stevia is ok in moderation, but apparently Xylitol is out. I presume this no-no list also includes other non-GI affecting natural sweeteners (ie not concocted in a lab) like erythritol and oligofructose (prebiotic).

If this is true, why? If they are minimal in cals, have no carbs and no effect on GI, why would they not be allowed?

Tx
    Stella

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    My hubby uses stevia for his coffee. he was diagnosed diabetic about 3 years ago & that was one of the things we changed right away as stevia dosent spike your suger levels (he used to use sugar & drinks a fair bit of coffee) Hes no longer diabetic. hasent been for over 2 years (& yeah the drs are poed all to bits over that.. not possible, lab results must be wrong blah blah blah)
    Anyways as a sub for sugar I would definatly recomend the stevia.
    Xylitol we havent used & ive mostly heard "good" about it compared to say sugar but its toxic to dogs so if you were to use it & you have dogs then make sure its safely out of reach
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

caveman josh is offline Member
    ALL sweeteners cause insulin to be released, not chemically in the stomach but just the sweet taste is enough for the brain to react. If your gonna want somthing sweet your better off consuming sugar, least we're designed to eat it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Mark did a great blog post about this, so do a search and look it up! Well worth the read!

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Hes no longer diabetic. hasent been for over 2 years (& yeah the drs are poed all to bits over that.. not possible, lab results must be wrong blah blah blah)
    Anyways as a sub for sugar I would definatly recomend the stevia.
    Xylitol we havent used & ive mostly heard "good" about it compared to say sugar but its toxic to dogs so if you were to use it & you have dogs then make sure its safely out of reach
    I've heard about people having the good fortune of changing their diagnosis around (if caught in time). Sounds like your husband was very lucky indeed. I can see how the poor doctors would find this annoying. It means less $$ in Big Pharma's pocket, that's for sure! Congratulations!

I'm not too keen on Stevia as it actually tastes synthetic (I know it's not though). Xylitol is supposed to be good for your teeth in that it inhibits growth of bacteria, and yes I heard it's deadly for dogs too. Luckily I don't have any dogs. The other two natural sweeteners, made from naturally occuring sugars in mushrooms and some other vegetables (erythritol and oligofructose) are even better than xylitol because xylitol has a side effect for most people, because it's a sugar alcohol (ie. explosive poops), and the other two don't have this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman josh View Post
    If your gonna want somthing sweet your better off consuming sugar, least we're designed to eat it.
    So the brain reacts to a sweet flavour and sends an erroneous signal that it must be GI inducing sugar. Interesting. And I get that sugar is natural, from sugar cane or honey etc., but just FYI, erythritol and oligofructose are natural too...from mushrooms and other vegs.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Mark did a great blog post about this, so do a search and look it up! Well worth the read!
    Thanks Zoebird! I'll search for it right now!

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Well, for those trying to lose weight I recommend liberal use of an artificial sweetener. The long term idea though, is to not use any kind of sweetener. Fresh fruits should supply more than enough sweets in one's diet. Honey and unsweetened chocolate are OK extra treats in moderation .

For weight losers trying to break their sugar addiction I think stevia is the best bridge sweetener. It is a minimally processed plant that has zero calories. I don't see any reason to search further. If someone doesn't like the taste that much, fine, you're not supposed to be eating that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    If someone doesn't like the taste that much, fine, you're not supposed to be eating that much anyway.
    Right on!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I can't see any reason to use a sweetener except to make whipped cream. But even then a little vanilla and cinnamon does a half-way okay job. I'll NEVER eat xylitol again. I ate a whole package of diabetic gummy bears (pre-primal) and was SOOO SICK! It's a laxative.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2