Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make gelatin taste acceptable?? page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

How do I make gelatin taste acceptable??

Primal Fuel
    I have been reading about the benefits of gelatin (Danny Roddy, Ray Peat and others) so bought some Great Lakes gelatin.

Following advice from a lady blogger, I stirred two heaped teaspoons into cold water, left it for one minute, added hot water, stirred and drank it.

Yuk - really gross!! It tasted the way that the scotch glue I use in my workshop smells. I CANNOT drink this twice a day on an empty stomach!!

Has anyone experience of this, and any suggestions??!! I really want the benefits (including thyroid / absorbing iodine and iodide) .

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Make bone broth.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have been reading about the benefits of gelatin (Danny Roddy, Ray Peat and others) so bought some Great Lakes gelatin.

Following advice from a lady blogger, I stirred two heaped teaspoons into cold water, left it for one minute, added hot water, stirred and drank it.

Yuk - really gross!! It tasted the way that the scotch glue I use in my workshop smells. I CANNOT drink this twice a day on an empty stomach!!

Has anyone experience of this, and any suggestions??!! I really want the benefits (including thyroid / absorbing iodine and iodide) .
    maybe put it IN something. A few people put it in their protein shakes and you can cook with it I think.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    Make bone broth.
    +1

best option
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

trippplez is offline Member
    Mixed it up with your favorite fruit, (optional) add some Stevia powder, blend together, freeze or just cool until becomes jelly-like, and voila - superb primal-ish dessert!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I make a low sugar "jello" with honey. Nice for dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    Make bone broth.
    I make LOADS of bone broth. But I don't seem able to make enough to last me for more than a day or two, and by the time the next batch is ready, I have been two or three days without. So the Great Lakes - being so highly recommended by Peat and others - seemed a good stand in.

In the "old days"I would have made a drink with Marigold Bouillon powder and put a couple of teaspoons of gelatine in there - the end product would be quite like a broth. But I haven't used Marigold since eating all real, fresh food. In fact, the Great Lake will be the first non - home made product in my kitchen for ages! But I trust it as a supplement. It is just the smell / taste - like glue!!!

Athomeontherange - I shall do exactly that. Into chilli, stew, fishcakes - a great idea!

Cyclops is offline Junior Member
    I add some cocoa powder (and yes, a bit of sugar - but you might try Stevia to soften the flavor), then let it solidify in the refrigerator for an hour or so. Sure, that takes more advance planning to freeze it, but I can't imagine drinking it.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    I've been using a collagen powder for half a year now (I think it's the same thing) - it says to dissolve it in any hot or cold beverage, so I just put it in my coffee (I drink it with a lot of milk), stir it until it dissolves and then I cannot even taste it anymore.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
    I've been using a collagen powder for half a year now (I think it's the same thing) - it says to dissolve it in any hot or cold beverage, so I just put it in my coffee (I drink it with a lot of milk), stir it until it dissolves and then I cannot even taste it anymore.
    Very good plan! And I shall add it to all cooked meat casseroles, meat balls, burgers etc. Won't taste it there either...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast