Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuna without Soy? page

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member

Tuna without Soy?

Shop Now
    Our family loves Tuna. And are willing to eat it rolled in lettuce leaves. Here's our problem, it all has added soy! I am allergic to soy! Until recently I never had a clue that the reason my finger joints would swell so painfully was from soy in products. Now I examine the ingredients list of everything. Imagine my shock when I could not find one single brand of tuna without soy:|

Yet I see Tuna being talked about on the forums often, so share your brands please? What tuna are you guys buying that does NOT have added soy? I did find a brand that has to be ordered from online, but does anyone know of one that can be purchased from a store?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I found one at the grocery outlet. I forget the name, it was a white can and cost $1.00 per can.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Ok I will keep looking around, thanks Knifegill

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Also check out asian markets and just plain stores you don't shop at...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I have been having this same issue! I haven't eaten tuna in years...too freaked out by the mercury contamination, so I stick to mainly sardines and herring. In the past weeks, I was thinking that I'd be ok with a can of tuna here and there, so I started looking at them in the supermarket, and EVERY one of them had SOY in the ingredients - you're right, WTF? The only common 'supermarket' store brand I could find that didn't have soy was Starkist Selects - they also have tuna packed in extra virgin olive oil, which I though was impressive. Only thing is that it's about $1.89/can, which is not the 'cheap' alternative I was hoping for - it's even more expensive than sardines and herring, which is nutrionally superior, so I can't really justify buying it.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Genova - has yellowfin in olive oil. It's a bronze & green label. There is some debate as to whether or not the olive oil is adulterated in canned goods, but I don't have any problems with this brand and I'm definitely sensitive to soy. I've found it in the normal section of tuna at Kroger grocery stores.

ETA - It is a bit more expensive than the other brands, but nothing drastic.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Wild Planet has amazing no water, no oil added tuna that still has all the lovely fish oil in it (some varieties have sea salt, others are just tuna), but it's pretty expensive. There are lots of other kinds at my grocery store that are also just tuna with water and salt, even the really cheap brands. I avoid the oil-packed kinds because they tend to have soy, but the water-packed types are usually good.

Is the soy added thing a US problem? I haven't had trouble finding soy-free tuna in Canada.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Is the soy added thing a US problem? I haven't had trouble finding soy-free tuna in Canada.
    Most all of the "in water" brands are actually in some type of broth with extra crap in it. They think everything here needs flavor enhancers. Even pork is injected with a 30% flavor enhancing solution.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I'm in Canada

"Tuna, Water, Salt"

Those are the ingredients in every brand of tuna in my cupboard. Most are store brands, one is name brand. All are imported from Thailand and canned in B.C.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Really? I never noticed that but I do only buy water packed tuna. I buy all my canned tuna at Whole Foods and they have several brands. Even the 365 Whole Foods brand that is packed in water is just tuna and water or tuna, water and sea salt. Crown Prince in spring water is listed as "albacore tuna, spring water." Natural Sea brand (cheaper brand) is listed as "chunk light yellowfin tuna, water." Wild Planet tuna is listed as "albacore tuna and sea salt." (That last one is the most expensive at about $4.00 a can). All come in BPA free cans. You will note, however, that all canned tuna is a product of Thailand and/or are processed in Vietnam. Even Wild Planet tuna is "processed" in Vietnam, which to me equates to being a product of Vietnam.

You can probably find these brands for much cheaper though. Amazon seems to sell Wild Planet tuna for a little cheaper (about $3.00 a can):

Wild Planet Sustainably Caught Wild Albacore Tuna, 5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Wild Planet Sustainably Caught Wild Skipjack Light Tuna, 5 Ounce Cans (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast