Thread: Codex Alimentarius page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Codex Alimentarius

Primal Fuel
    I began hearing about codex alimentarius not too long ago, and had to google it to really find out because I just didn't believe my ears the first time I heard about it. I was shocked and thoroughly pi$$ed off at the audacity of these multi-national companies and the power they seem to exert over us. What (who??) gives them the right to create these rules?? I know this is just one part of a growing movement towards a more highly regulated life for all of us. conspiracy theories aside, we definitely do seem to be tip-toeing towards something sinister...

I thoroughly despair of the world we've created for ourselves sometimes, and wonder how on earth we're ever gonna get back on track. Well, I know us here are trying to do their best, but this kind of flies in the face of what this 'codex' will bring and I'm guessing MDA won't even be allowed under the new 'rules of the codex', given the amount of info on 'natural foods and cures' supplementation and experimentation that goes on around here.

Where exactly are we in terms of this being 'law'? And what are people's thoughts on the changes/restrictions it will bring. Is anyone stockpiling iodine yet?

If you haven't heard about it, I'd suggest you google it:

Codex Alimentarius

What can we expect under Codex? To give you an idea, here are some important points:

Dietary supplements could not be sold for preventive (prophylactic) or therapeutic use.

Potencies would be limited to extremely low dosages.

Only the drug companies and the big phytopharmaceutical companies would have the right to produce and sell the higher potency products (at inflated prices).

Prescriptions would be required for anything above the extremely low doses allowed (such as 35 mg. on niacin).

Common foods such as garlic and peppermint would be classified as drugs or a third category (neither food nor drugs) that only big pharmaceutical companies could regulate and sell. Any food with any therapeutic effect can be considered a drug, even benign everyday substances like water.

Codex regulations for dietary supplements would become binding (escape clauses would be eliminated).

All new dietary supplements would be banned unless they go through Codex testing and approval.

Genetically altered food would be sold worldwide without labeling.

According to John Hammell, a legislative advocate and the founder of International Advocates for Health Freedom (IAHF), here is what we have to look forward to:

"If Codex Alimentarius has its way, then herbs, vitamins, minerals, homeopathic remedies, amino acids and other natural remedies you have taken for granted most of your life will be gone. The name of the game for Codex Alimentarius is to shift all remedies into the prescription category so they can be controlled exclusively by the medical monopoly and its bosses, the major pharmaceutical firms. Predictably, this scenario has been denied by both the Canadian Health Food Association and the Health Protection Branch of Canada (HPB).

The Codex Alimentarius proposals already exist as law in Norway and Germany where the entire health food industry has literally been taken over by the drug companies. In these countries, vitamin C above 200 mg is illegal as is vitamin E above 45 IU, vitamin B1 over 2.4 mg and so on. Shering-Plough, the Norway pharmaceutical giant, now controls an Echinacea tincture, which is being sold there as an over the counter drug at grossly inflated prices. The same is true of ginkgo and many other herbs, and only one government controlled pharmacy has the right to import supplements as medicines which they can sell to health food stores, convenience stores or pharmacies."

It is now a criminal offence in parts of Europe to sell herbs as foods. An agreement called EEC6565 equates selling herbs as foods to selling other illegal drugs. Action is being taken to accelerate other European countries into 'harmonization' as well.

Full article here: Codex Alimentarius - the REAL threat to World health

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree this is very sinister, and very concerning for those who are reliant on supplements and herbal remedies. I imagine that some people will have to travel abroad to obtain what they need and smuggle it through customs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.