Thread: Statins cause muscle damage, make it "hard to exercise" in NYT page

Barb is offline Senior Member

Statins cause muscle damage, make it "hard to exercise" in NYT

Shop Now
    Hey all - I just read this article in the NYT about some eye-popping research done in France which proves statins cause muscle damage, impair mitochondrial functioning, lower glycogen stores in muscles - and several other damaging side effects. Read it here: Phys Ed: Do Statins Make It Tough to Exercise? - NYTimes.com

They fed statins to rats and not to others and then made them run to exhaustion. The ones on statins fatigued much faster and had 226% more oxidative stress in their muscle tissues than the rats who didn't take statins.

Gotta love this quote in the mainstream, New York Times no less:

"and fatigue with exertion is linked to less actual activity. And less activity has its own consequences. Move less and you increase your risk of premature death and other undesirable outcomes, even if your cholesterol is under control."

Along with the recent acknowledgement by the FDA that statins cause diabetes and memory loss, perhaps the CW is just starting to catch on to the damage caused by these drugs. Grok on - get off the meds.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Just giving this a little bump since I posted it late last night.... B.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Just tweeted the heck out of that link; I have too many friends/relatives on statins. Evil stuff.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    They affected the muscles in my mother's eyes so badly she could not read. Luckily the doctor realised what it was and took her off them quickly and she is OK again, although who knows how much permanent damage was done? And she complains a lot more of tiredness now.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    And statins were trumpeted for having super-minimal side-effects. It makes me sick when I hear so much evidence to the contrary.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Statin in natural form bad or what? Didn't read the link.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Natural statins are very healthy, but you need to make sure they are Free Range Statins. Caged statins will kill you dead.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Grass-fed statins are even better if you can afford them.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Statins....if they were just useless it would be one thing.....unfortunately they are way worse than useless.