Thread: Black Rice page

Darz is offline Senior Member

Black Rice

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone, I know some of you will include white rice on your meals but what about black rice, supposedly it has a good nutritional profile and I was wondering, what is your take on it. Thank you

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about Forbidden Black Rice, or Wild Rice? Because Wild rice isn't a grain, it's a aquatic grass.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Your post really struck me, Nady, so I did a little research. I think there's a need to clarify what you said, in case someone misunderstands and thinks they can eat Wild Rice without consuming grain. It depends on the part of the plant you buy. If you consume the stalk, that's cool, but Wild Rice does sprout a grain, and that's what is sold as Wild Rice in the supermarket.

I had actually never heard of black rice, but I did a little research there, too. Seems that it's actually got more nutrients than white rice, and I didn't see anything indicating that it's any more poisonous than white rice. Since I do, on occasion, use white rice as a sort of condiment (sprinkled on top of whatever Asian dish I've cooked up), I may try to find some black rice and use it similarly. If it tastes good, and I don't notice any bad effects, I'll definitely prefer the food source with more nutrients!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    Your post really struck me, Nady, so I did a little research. I think there's a need to clarify what you said, in case someone misunderstands and thinks they can eat Wild Rice without consuming grain. It depends on the part of the plant you buy. If you consume the stalk, that's cool, but Wild Rice does sprout a grain, and that's what is sold as Wild Rice in the supermarket.
    Went back and checked~
    from Information about Wild Rice
    This highly nutritious grain is not actually rice, but an annual water-grass seed, "zizania aquatica". Naturally abundant in the cold rivers and lakes of Minnesota and Canada, wild rice was the staple in the diet of the Chippewa and Sioux Indians, native to this region
    So, it's classified as a grain, but not a rice~ interesting!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I eat black rice on occasion, but I soak it for two days before consuming. Is that enough to reduce phytate activity?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Do you get it in a normal supermarket or where do you get it?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Do you get it in a normal supermarket or where do you get it?
    I buy mine at Chinese or Korean supermarkets.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've had Lundberg's black japonica rice, is that what you're talking about? It was dangerously yummy, I have really touchy blood sugar and because it was so good, I ate more of it than I probably should have. My daughter loved it, as it turns purple when cooked and that's her favorite color. I just read that it has a lot of anthocyanin antioxidants, which makes sense considering that it cooks up purple. I think it still has the hull though, which could be troublesome because of the phytates.