Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - ravingkiko page 2

ravingkiko is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wasn't planning to journal in the morning but for sleep purposes I am limiting computer/TV time to one hour after work - and I'm setting a timer to keep me to it! So I'm going to journal what I plan to do in the coming day each morning then I can quickly come back at night to comment on my success.

Here's the meal plan:
    Breakfast - chai, coconut milk, eggs, coconut oil (yes, I know, pretty repetitive, but I like it)
    Lunch - ground beef scramble (lots of veggies, spices, grass fed gb and coconut oil, I make 3 different ones each weekend to keep me supplied through the week), mixed fruit
    Dinner - ground beef scramble, avocado (if I follow through and go to the store and if they have some nice avocados, otherwise I'll throw an egg over the scramble)

I followed my sleep plan last night but I woke up at 11:30, 2:30 and 4:30. I got up at 5:30. Pretty poor quality sleep but I'm hopeful that it will improve once I'm used to the schedule. I need to get a sleep mask. I have blackout curtains but the light comes in over the top of the curtains, so it's not a blackout. I live in Seattle so soon it will be light until almost 10pm; a mask should help me, if I can get used to wearing it. I would like to learn to be a back sleeper also; sometimes when I wakeup it's because my shoulder hurts from side sleeping.

I'm going to make some menu plans today (for the weekend cook-up). I'll post my plans tonight.

So specifically, here's my goals for today:
    Follow planned meals
    Go to store for avocado (most people wouldn't have to add this to a goals list, but I'm so lazy that I need to)
    1 hour of computer/TV time after work
    Get ready for bed at 9pm
    Plan weekend cook-up
    Order a sleep mask from Amazon (I bought a $10 gift card yesterday for $5 - SCORE!)

How did I do today?
    Well we won't find out until tomorrow morning. I have decided not to update at night. I won't have any computer/tv allowance at night, I have to do it all in the morning. That should be best of all for sleep. I'll get used to doing other things instead. One of the instead things I'm going to do is go to the gym after work.

So I'm signing off now, see you in the morning, I'm off to pack my gym clothes.

How did I do yesterday?
    Follow planned meals - check (although the avocados I bought weren't ripe and I substituted olives).
    Avocados purchased - check
    Computer after work - check (actually only did 15 minutes)
    Get ready for bed - check
    Plan cook-up - did not do, procrastinated
    Order sleep mask - check

How do I feel this morning? Like shit. I hardly slept last night. One of the reasons that I am getting (back to being) serious about primal eating is that I was doing a great job and felt/slept wonderful last fall and now I am in the clutches of a long bout of insomnia. I almost walked in front of a bus a week or so ago. If not for a bystander who grabbed the back of my coat, I would be a stain on the street right now! I'm still about half-bright, but I'm hyper-aware of my current short-comings and am being oh, so careful when I'm out, cooking, operating farm machinery, sharpening knives...
    Last edited by ravingkiko; 03-22-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Morning report on yesterday's goals

3/22/12

So here's what's planned for today:

Breakfast: eggs, coconut oil, chai (a new blend), coconut milk, tiny pinch of stevia
    Lunch: may skip lunch. I have an afternoon meeting that I can snack in.
    Snack: fruit, macadamia nuts
    Dinner: ground beef scramble, (maybe) avocado (else olives)

Go to gym after work (clothes are packed).
    No computer after work.
    Get ready for bed at 9.
    I'm not even going to try to plan the weekend cook-up; I am so sleep deprived that the task seems insurmountable (my goal for work is to "do no harm").

Updated 3/23/12

I'm so sleep deprived, I can't even remember what I did yesterday. Maybe if I try to remember linearly and see if I can piece something together. Thank god for spell check. I can't even begin to tell you how many typos I've made already. Except they aren't really typos, they are like truly stupid mistakes. I would not drive a car today. I expect this post will take me a good long while to compose. I'm staying home today. I feel like someone has wrapped my head in bubble-wrap.

So Wednesday night I did not sleep well. It was just short of I did not sleep at all. I went to work late because I didn't think I could make it through a whole day and I knew it was more important that I be there in the afternoon.
    When I got to work I went to the salad bar and got lots and lots of fruit and a hard-boiled egg; ate that at my desk. In the afternoon I had a meeting where they served snacks. Even though the room reeked of chocolate, I contented myself with lots more fruit. When I got home I ate a lot of protein and vegetables.

Breakfast: skipped breakfast
    Lunch: Watermelon, honey dew, cantaloupe, mango, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries, egg
    Snack: Grapes, orange
    Dinner: Ground beef scramble, eggs, coconut oil, BRGY

How did I do on the rest of the action plan? I did not go to the gym. I watched TV, I went to bed late. I slept like crap. I believe I had to sleep a little, but it didn't feel like it. It felt like I was awake all night. I would go to the doctor, in fact I did already, but that was a fiasco, so I'm still going to work on environmental/personal improvements.
    Last edited by ravingkiko; 03-23-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: results update

3/23/12

I need to make a plan for today. Not really feeling it though. I have to get some sleep.

Meals:
    Breakfast: Eggs, coconut oil, avocado, chai tea, coconut milk.
    Lunch: Sardines, avocado, some kind of fruit.
    Dinner: Ground beef scramble, not sure what else.

What about actions:
    Try to go to gym for 15-30 minutes on the elliptical machine. You can do it!! Just try!!
    Sit outside for half an hour, maybe get some tea at the coffee shop. Tea might not be a good a idea. Maybe I could ride the water taxi instead. Salt air, might be great.
    No computer after 6pm.
    Go to bed at 9pm (I dragged out of bed at 6 this morning, turned on all the lights, and hope my "clock" getting set properly.
    Do more sleep research (it might have been a bad idea to take all that trazedone).
    I think there is more I should be doing. I hope it comes to me.

From the website chai-tea.org
    TITLE: Good Chai Recipe
    DATE: 11/01/95
    I've seen a number of posts about how to make chai, so I thought some might like to have the following recipe from an Indian cookbook I have. It is delicious, but note that it only makes about 2 (small) cups. Scale it up for more:
    Masala Chai
    1-1/2 cups water
    1 inch stick of cinnamon
    8 cardamom pods
    8 whole cloves
    2/3 cup milk
    6 tsp. sugar (or to taste)
    3 teaspoons any un-perfumed loose black tea
    Put 1-1/2 cups water in saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the milk and sugar and bring to a simmer again. Throw in the tea leaves, cover, and turn ff the heat. After 2 minutes, strain the tea into two cups and serve immediately.
    From Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking, Barron's, New York, p. 196 (1983).
    Hope you enjoy it!

I love chai tea with coconut milk. I sweeten it very lightly by mixing Stevia equivalent to 2 tsp sugar to one can of coconut milk. The coconut milk it already a bit sweet; for a long time I drank it without Stevia, but I think it helps bring out the flavors.

I ate 99% whole 30 yesterday. It will never be 100%, due to the aforementioned Stevia. I'm just too tired to remember what I ate and when, so journal, you will just have to trust me. I need to conserve my sleep-deprived brain power for cooking up some grub for the week. Ready meals and eggs are the keys to my success.

Goals for today: work on the sleep problem, cook food, eat well, try to get a little exercise and fresh air.

I just read the post preview. The sleep problem sounds so trivial - it's a crisis - soon to cause serious rx drug taking if it doesn't resolve itself soon.

Went to brunch today and did super duper good.

Bacon, arugula and tomato omelet with a side of ham and fruit, coffee, water, left the toast on the plate.
    Had two things off target but handled them well; a splash of cream in my coffee and a glass of champagne - it was a birthday celebration after all.

Did 5/6 of my required cooking yesterday.

Don't know what else to say. It's so hard to compose thoughts with my sleep deprivation.

Oh shit! I just did a load of wash and forgot to put the clothes in. Thank god I live in the city and don't have to drive anywhere.
    Last edited by ravingkiko; 03-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.

3/26/12

I am barely hanging on without sleep. Dear Diary, please don't think I don't care or have lost my motivation. I'm just too tired to whip my thoughts together. Today at work I stared at space for a good part of the day. I did put together a lengthy email for my doc and came home with an rx for ambien. Please, please let it work. As soon as it is dark, I'm taking my pill and going to bed. Not very paleo, but who cares. I wore mis-matched SHOES to work today.

So big bullet points:
    sleep - no
    exercise - no
    meals - YES

I bought a new pair of shoes after work. Bought them at Born to Run and I got the Leming in black. They feel so comfy. These shoes are unique in my closet so if I wear them there is no chance of screwing up my footwear.

I'm just going to keep on, keepin' on: try like hell to sleep, don't worry about anything else and eat 99% whole 30 (for want of a better way of naming it)

3/29/12

It's been a few days. I would love to spend more time on this site, but in spite of staying home from work for almost 2 days, I'm too tired. When will I ever sleep again? Woe is I.

Anyway here's the wrap-up for the last however many days it's been:
    uh, what are my goals...
    food - eating clean, no problems, did have an extravagant treat after work, larabar and a bag of cashews, I normally don't eat nuts with processed seed oils, but what the hell
    exercise - not at all, need to do that, it might really help the sleep
    sleep - 'nuf said

someday I'll be back to normal

3/30/12

food check
    exercise no
    sleep no

3/31/2012

food, great
    exercise, good
    sleep, blah, blah, blah

i got an amazon fresh delivery. no car, no problem. i use them especially for cat food and kitty litter and all those heavy cans of coconut milk. they also have frozen grass fed meat. it's easy to find organic and local products as the browse function filters for that.

made slow cooker cheater pork stew. it turned out so delicious (i think nom nom paleo and the following site, clothes make the girl, are the tops in paleo cooking sites).

was going to roast cauliflower, but didn't. maybe tomorrow with leftover stew.

went to the spice market and bought chai tea: chipotle and sweet. that's to go with all those cans of coconut milk that were delivered this morning.

bought jumbo eggs at pike place market creamery. i don't eat dairy, but i go through a ton of eggs, and their eggs are the most delicious. they have raw dairy and grass fed and cultured butter. they are just a stone's throw from the grass fed butcher, bb market, in pike place.

i'm really lucky to live in downtown seattle. there is a lot of organic/sustainable/local...products available. i haven't even touched on the abundant farmer's markets and a multitude of shops in (what seattle officially calls) chinatown/international district.

and i got my hair cut. i feel tons better. let's hope it shows up on the pillow tonight.

lots of links today. i do like to link.

04/01/2012

I slept better last night (really, no fooling). It actually felt like I fell asleep. I didn't sleep very long, maybe 5 hours, but it's been weeks...I don't even remember how long it's been since I felt sleep. I just started taking some supplements last week, maybe they helped. Or maybe it was the haircut.

The food plan is going great.
    My weight today is 186, I've lost 4 pounds in approximately 2 weeks; and that's under less than optimal circumstances.
    All my chores are done for the weekend: laundry, cleaning, and cooking.
    I think I will go take a walk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast