Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groks in Albuquerque! page

Karen1968 is offline Junior Member

Question Groks in Albuquerque!

Shop Now
    Hi there -

My family and I are going to Albuquerque next week to visit relatives. It will be our first visit there as a Primal Family, and I'm hoping someone has some resources for me.

Where can I find good meat, eggs and milk at a decent price? I'd like to avoid Whole Foods if possible. Do Sunflower Markets carry grass-fed meat products? Any store better than another when it comes to organic produce?

There will be at least one dining out experience. What are some good Primal-friendly restaurants? We will be staying off Academy NE near San Mateo NE.

Thank you for any information!

Karen

wren is offline Member
    Oh! I can't wait to see the replys! I live in NM and am (sort of) just starting this new lifestyle. And while it is a drive, I'm not opposed to driving to ABQ if I can get some good stuff!

Anyone else? About to send MIL a Trader Joe's shopping list

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen1968 View Post
    Hi there -

My family and I are going to Albuquerque next week to visit relatives. It will be our first visit there as a Primal Family, and I'm hoping someone has some resources for me.

Where can I find good meat, eggs and milk at a decent price? I'd like to avoid Whole Foods if possible. Do Sunflower Markets carry grass-fed meat products? Any store better than another when it comes to organic produce?
    Welcome to Kellers Farm Stores

From looking at the body composition of the people, NM is a sad looking state.

Leaving this morning. I sent MIL to Trader Joe's. I'll do some looking around while I'm there and report back for anyone interested.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    La Montanita on Central, Sunflower on Lomas.

wren is offline Member
    Farmers Market was a good trip for today. But other than that...not many options here (which, given that there are 'some' healthy folks, really doesn't make sense)

dancermom09 is offline Member
    You may not even be here anymore, but I live in Albuquerque and we eat at home a lot. Going out is a 20% thing. I buy meat at Kellers and Whole Foods, ditto eggs and produce. Sometimes eggs and bacon at TJs, and fish. So you already know the places I shop. Our farmer's markets are basically May through October, so not now. There is a year round CSA but you can't just go shopping there.

If you must go out to eat, we like The Cube barbecue, Five Star burgers, and Il Vicino has a really good cobb type salad. We go to Garcias Kitchen about once a week for an omelet with carne adovado and green chile sauce. Not perfect (no idea where they get their eggs), but they cook with lard and don't use any flour in their sauces. So that's an option to try some local cuisine.

dancermom09 is offline Member
    Oh, and Sunflower doesn't have much organic produce, and I don't think they have any grass fed meat.

cwhitson is offline Junior Member
    I know you've probably already come and gone...but I figure I would post this here for anyone looking for Albuquerque resources.

We get all of the meats we eat from Kellers (they have 2 locations, one on Westside and one Eastside). It's more expensive, but most of it comes from either their own farms in NM or from Colorado. There is also no "pink slime" in any of their meats. They have the cheapest grass-fed beef in town. And not just ground, either. They have different cuts of steaks that are grass-fed, too. Sunflower market has grass-fed beef, but it's $2 more per pound and they only have ground beef. From time to time we will also get our hot dogs from sunflower when grilling for kids. They have grass-fed hot dogs that have no antibiotics, etc. and only use organic spices; no preservatives or hard to pronounce ingredients to be found. Actually only about 6 or 7 ingredients total. Mostly spices like sea salt, garlic, and such.

For veggies and other goods, we go to Sunflower market. They have organic versions of just about everything, except limited versions of fresh organic fruits and veggies. But they usually always have organic avocados, tomatoes, onions, potatoes (sweet and otherwise), etc. which makes up the bulk of staple items one could use to make a meal. SF markets is headquartered out of Arizona, so they try to source local seasonal things in the organic section, which I think is why it's limited.

We also visit La Montanita Coop from time to time if we are passing by one. Mostly for local cheeses (I love the Romano; it has a very strong flavor that I like and can't find many places), and their grass-fed dairy items (on the rare occasion we need or want some).

The other place we visit is Natural Grocers, which is mostly the only corporate chain we shop at. ALL of their veggies are organic and they grind their own almond butter, nothing else added. They also have better almond flour (actually called almond meal) that is very cheap. You can tell it isn't processed much like almond flour and that's why we like it for when we make some sort of primal dessert or such. The almond meal is also very inexpensive. Natural grocers also carries a non-homogenized, UN-pasteurized milk (I think La Montanita does to, but not sure). Unlike some states, it is LEGAL to sell/buy raw milk in NM. It's just hard to find some.

I know trader joe's has some stuff, but we rarely go to one (haven't been in prob a little under a year) as we live on the westside and the closest one is on the other side of town. We used to force ourselves to make the trip before going primal over a year ago to get gluten free selections for my wife, but being primal kind of negates that purpose now. Same thing with Whole Foods...not one close by.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Welcome to Kellers Farm Stores

From looking at the body composition of the people, NM is a sad looking state.
    I disagree. I have lived in other states and the "general population" is much fitter here than other places. You can compare them easily by comparing wal-mart shoppers. The wal-mart shoppers here are WAAAYYYYY fitter than the average wal-mart shopper i've seen in Arkansas (where I lived for 20 yrs) and Wisconsin (where I lived for 3). At least that's the case in Albuquerque....haven't spent much time in other cities, but biking and hiking are HUGE here. Olympic athletes from the Caribbean and Africa come here to run and bike. ABQ supports more healthy citizens than any other city i've lived in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast