Thread: Friend Diagnosed with Epilepsy page

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Friend Diagnosed with Epilepsy

A good friend of mine had a massive seizure the other day and went in for some testing.
    I don't have all the information yet on what kind of seizure or the full diagnosis, but I would really like to help him with information.

I know that I've run across the fact that a ketogenic diet has a great record for controlling seizures in epileptics, but most of what I've seen regards children.

I would love to send him some books, but don't want to give him information that would lead him astray.

Does anyone have any book recommendations on this topic that I can send him?

Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. Just sent him copies of The Primal Blueprint & Paleo Solution. These obviously aren't epilepsy centered, but I figured that anyone with health issues could benefit from the info contained in these books, plus they may alleviate any fears he would have about eating a high fat diet.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    A good friend of mine had a massive seizure the other day and went in for some testing.
    I don't have all the information yet on what kind of seizure or the full diagnosis, but I would really like to help him with information.

I know that I've run across the fact that a ketogenic diet has a great record for controlling seizures in epileptics, but most of what I've seen regards children.

I would love to send him some books, but don't want to give him information that would lead him astray.

Does anyone have any book recommendations on this topic that I can send him?

Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. Just sent him copies of The Primal Blueprint & Paleo Solution. These obviously aren't epilepsy centered, but I figured that anyone with health issues could benefit from the info contained in these books, plus they may alleviate any fears he would have about eating a high fat diet.
    all the podcasts, and audio files I've been listening to of late, have correlated a higher intake of fat, in aiding things, like epilepsy, and autism. More importantly, cutting out the gluten.

I haven't bought it, but I'll be looking to by Carbohydrates Can Kill by Robert Su M.D.

Nalcott is offline Junior Member
    My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy last year. Hopefully she'll grow out of it, but we've been trying to move her to a ketogenic diet but as you can imagine, it's not easy to get a teenage girl to go along with it when their friends are scarfing down the typical junk...

I'm interested to hear what others might have to add about this topic.

Hope everything works out OK for your friend!

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have epilepsy and Im trying the ketogenic diet, together with the Paleo. Im an adult and its helped me enormously. The difference between the ketogenic and the paleo is that the Ketogenic diet is a lot stricter and needs careful monitoring. Its stricter in the sense of much lower carbs and keeping a diary of them on a daily basis. Its quite a faff but to me its worth it!!
    I have to keep my carbs at 10 to 15, when others can have more - some even less to almost none.
    There are quite a few books on ketogenic diets and though, as you say, they are geared more towards children, the principle is the same as it is for adults.
    I think America is a lot better than they are over here in the UK where there is one 1 ketogenic clinic for Adults, but if he is going to take that route, he will need careful monitoring initially. Any 'cheats' can have detrimental effects and bring on a seizure so you need to be very strict with yourself.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!