Thread: 5k in my Vibrams! page

spngebobmyhero is offline Junior Member

5k in my Vibrams!

Today I ran/walked a 5k in my Vibrams!

This was my first 5k since I was in junior high! I didn't really train for it, but I've been walking and lifting at the gym and doing the occasional sprint. I decided to go ahead and sign up for it because it was for a great cause (two teachers diagnosed with cancer and a local high school track team). I finished in just under 42 minutes and ran the first 1.5 miles without walking! I know chronic cardio isn't recommended, but I am counting this as move often, because I almost never run at the gym!

I've been working out in my vibrams, so I decided to take the leap and do the 5k in them! It was mostly trails, so it was perfect! I don't think I can wear anything else for exercise again!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! this only further motivates me to wipe out my shoe inventory, sans wrestling shoes. I may try playing hoops with a pair, and see how that goes :P.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome. And, I don't think I'd worry about Chronic Cardio here.

Mark talks about how if you *like* running than the occasional "race pace" run where you are pushing yourself to max effort is perfectly fine. It's when you run like that day after day after day after day (and you really don't like it that much, you just do it because it's *supposed* to make you healthy/fit/thin/etc.)
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    congrats! I did a half marathon in my vibrams a few months after I first got them. That ended up being a mistake, since I wasn't used to them yet. XP I could probably do it now but its taken a couple years to gradually get used to running in them. walking and hiking, though, have been awesome from day one. :-)
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    I have done a 5k almost every night in mine since I got them at Christmas and they are still barely even worn. I love them! :-)
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I am so interested in getting a pair. I see so many people at the gym who wear them when they lift and do a few laps in them. I almost can't help but wonder if they're Groks. BUT... two of the guys are going above and beyond the standard functional weight bearing exercises, so I think they just like the shoes... I've seen a few pairs on clearance at a sporting goods store here, so I might keep my eyes open for a pair in my size.

Congrats on your 5k finish! Major accomplishment!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I am so interested in getting a pair. I see so many people at the gym who wear them when they lift and do a few laps in them. I almost can't help but wonder if they're Groks. BUT... two of the guys are going above and beyond the standard functional weight bearing exercises, so I think they just like the shoes... I've seen a few pairs on clearance at a sporting goods store here, so I might keep my eyes open for a pair in my size.

Yeah theyre super popular amongst the crossfit crowd, and from there theyre bleeding over into regular CW-gym lifestyle.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

spngebobmyhero is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post

You should get a pair! Especially if you can find them on sale! I got my bikila ls' for half off. They are really comfortable for walking and lifting!