Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a fast~ anyone interested? page 31

Nady is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I had the porterhouse steak with a salad and broccoli. Food tastes amazingly good after a fast. It's like all the taste buds are re-sensitized. Happy tummy.......
    I've noticed that too~ isn't it fun? Like every flavor is new and wonderful.

Paleobird Guest
    Yummm. Broccoli.

I think I will go with the fast 5 idea for a while and see how that works. I like the idea of being able to have a snack in the evening without the mental self directed finger wagging of "No snacks, ever!"
    With the 5-10pm window I could have a small snack at five, maybe a bite or "taste test" of whatever I am cooking for dinner which is usually at 6. This would take the edge off any hunger so I would be able to eat a normal sized meal. Also knowing that I could have an evening snack means I don't have to stuff it all in at once.
    I think I was over-compensating a bit when I tried the warrior diet and ended up eating more calories than I needed for the day, just all at once. It's like when my dog who was born a feral mutt in the wilds of Mexico eats, he scarfs it down like someone is going to take it away from him or like there might not be any food tomorrow. I think the five hour window would be a calmer approach to eating.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I'm fascinated by this "fast-5" thing. It sounds like how I used to eat pre-toddler anyways. But now having to provide breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks in between for an extremely active and hungry 15 month old has stopped my old eating ways quickly, since I feel bad that she is the only one eating and tends to eat a bit better while I'm eating too and we are at the table together.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I bonked at the gym last night. The walking went well, but as soon as I did some weights I felt exhausted. Followed by a night of strange dreams that kept waking me up, and I am not feeling on the top of my game this morning.

Also, have a feeling of constipation. I guess whatever is left inside is lacking the motivation to move out, since there is nothing new coming in.

I'm at 84 hours now, and thinking of breaking my fast at lunchtime. Not from hunger, ironically, but from the general ughs. Which may very well be a side-effect of hunger, but I find it interesting that the stomach feeling that we all associate with hunger, is the least difficult part of fasting. It is mostly the mental issues, and now, this general ughy feeling. (Is that a word? I'm sure you know what I mean, though.)

I think if I pushed through today, I would be feeling better tomorrow. (Especially if I could manage to poop!) But I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking I must go longer each time, or even as long as. I think that WOULD lead to problems. I am doing this to give my cells a rest, and they have definitely had one.

I'll see how any elimination efforts go this morning, and decide at lunch time.

How is everyone else doing? We only have a few posting from the ten or so who said they would join in, so I'm guessing just we few did the fast. I'd be interested to hear from those who DIDN'T do it, why not, if they'd like to share. A particular challenge? Just forgot?(Do I need to mention how many times in my SAD life, I just 'forgot' I was on a diet?) Didn't like the experience?
    Last edited by Sabine; 06-21-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Capitalization and spelling, the double whammy! Second edit: numbers correction- I blame the brain fog.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone, great thread.

Would breaking a fast with some fruit/veggie juice be good? I may also have a Larabar on hand as well. I think I want to keep it light. I will be at about 43 hours when that happens.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Good morning ~

Day 4~ down another 2 pounds~ feeling good, but ready for food!

Sabine~ I'm planning on breaking today also~ not feeling bad, just think it's time. Dinner today will take it to a full 96hrs./4days. I am planning to resume my Fast-5 WOE but I think I'm going to throw a 48'er or two in there every week and get the rest of this weight off. Have decided I don't want to be a fat, old woman and since I can't turn the clock back, well~~

Hope everyone is doing well~ I second~ would be nice to hear other experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Hey everyone, great thread.

Would breaking a fast with some fruit/veggie juice be good? I may also have a Larabar on hand as well. I think I want to keep it light. I will be at about 43 hours when that happens.
    JMO~ I like to keep the re-feed lower carb~ prevents a big insulin rush and helps curb the urge to overeat those first few meals. Keeping it light is just easier when the insulin roller-coaster hasn't been restarted.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I broke my fast at dinner last night with pretty much exactly 48 hours from the end of my last meal. I felt fine and was planing to continue till this morning, but a very closer friend of mine was extremely upset about some personal issues so I met her for dinner. I don't regret that choice and I'm pretty pumped about the 48 hours, but it would have been interesting to see what would happen if I had gone a bit longer.

I agree with everyone who said that the mental part is the hardest. I didn't feel light headed or tired or anything like that. I've done a fair number of 24 hour fasts and found them very easy mentally, but yesterday when people were talking about food around lunch I was jealous. Not hungry, just jealous. So that was an odd/interesting experience.

I would consider doing this again in a few months. Good luck everyone who is still fasting, and congrats to all those who are finished!
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Highaerials- I've always broken my fasts with protein. I'm a low-carber most of the time, and the one time I had a generous amount of vegetables to start with, I had some major gas issues. For me, light is some scrambled eggs, or salmon. But I know a lot of people like to do liquids- juice or broth- to start with.

I'm feeling much better now that I have been awake for several hours- brain back to normal, not feeling draggy from the poor sleep. Still have had no bowel action, but that on its own is not bothering me so much. However...I have already mentally talked myself into breaking my fast at lunchtime, and since I planned to break it with sashimi(one of my all time favorites) I may find it difficult to back down! I have a little hunger right now, nothing unmanageable, but oh, the lure of sashimi! We'll see what happens.

In either case, I am planning to do my next fast near the middle/end of July, if anyone will be up for this again. And I will continue to be aware of my hunger, and try not to eat so much out of habit. (Will I EVER get over the discovery that it takes me almost two days to get hungry?!? I think not.)

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    JMO~ I like to keep the re-feed lower carb~ prevents a big insulin rush and helps curb the urge to overeat those first few meals. Keeping it light is just easier when the insulin roller-coaster hasn't been restarted.
    I see...any suggestions for what to eat after the fast?

Edit: Thanks Sabine! I think some chicken will sound good.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast