Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a fast~ anyone interested? page 2

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    imho i wuoldnt go much past 2 days, u risk more muscle than fat being eaten away

i realize yuore trying to "clense" but why not just go to daily IFing after say a 24-48hour fast?

5 days is just extreme ...
    IF/ADF and fasting are pretty different.

Not much catabolic activity that soon, and the rebound effect will build it back as soon as she eats.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    IF/ADF and fasting are pretty different.

Not much catabolic activity that soon, and the rebound effect will build it back as soon as she eats.
    And that's also the reason to get into ketosis before fasting~ not just for hunger control, but also because it gets that 'protein sparing' mode in place sooner.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Please read Mark's blog post on fasting~ the link is on my first post
    i had read it prior to this post ... it doesnt mean i need to agree with it when reading it ..

i agree it helps a lot, hell look at my weight loss in under 8 months ...

im just saying 5 days to me seems too long and could be counter productive IMHO .. thats the beautiful thing about this site we dont have to all agree

good luck with your venture ill gladly step in for 36-48hours
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    How different do you feel at around 100 hours of fasting as opposed to something like 30?

I wouldn't know how to break my fast if I went that long. In the 20-30 range I know I can eat a big meal, but you have to 'start slow' after a really long fast right?

Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    i had read it prior to this post ... it doesnt mean i need to agree with it when reading it ..

i agree it helps a lot, hell look at my weight loss in under 8 months ...

im just saying 5 days to me seems too long and could be counter productive IMHO .. thats the beautiful thing about this site we dont have to all agree

good luck with your venture ill gladly step in for 36-48hours
    I think I might share your concerns if I hadn't fasted before, but I've been doing short fasts for 40+ years. Right now, I have a couple of issues I want to reverse/control and I'm hoping 5 days is long enough. It took 3 days to quit smoking~ that was 15 years ago! But I still have absolutely no desire to smoke~ even when around smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    How different do you feel at around 100 hours of fasting as opposed to something like 30?

I wouldn't know how to break my fast if I went that long. In the 20-30 range I know I can eat a big meal, but you have to 'start slow' after a really long fast right?
    Well, you're 'suppose' to start slow but most fasting promoters also say to break the fast with fruit juice. Not going to happen! A hit of sugar after several days of heavy ketosis? nope. If anything, it's broth, or protein like scrambled eggs~ I never fast long enough for my stomach to forget what to do with food

As far as how I feel, I've always had good energy/mind clarity~ but I don't have blood sugar issues. Can't say how someone with those concerns would feel. Otherwise, you just know you're not eating today and get on with other things!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I'm in! I've done a few dinner to dinner fasts and felt pretty good. It really helps clear out the system. I have two reasons, one to reallly give my system some time to heal. I have major food intollerances and allergies, and think it just needs a break. And two, I need to kill my bottle of wine habit.

I'd suggest breaking the fast with something light. A meal that is too rich, can backfire even on a short term fast. At least it did to me yesterday. I'd hit another plateau that I wanted to break, so on Thursday I only had a piece of chicken for lunch, and then stir-fry moose with a little onion, pepper and tomato for dinner. Then yesterday I had nothing until 6pm. I made curry chicken with butternut squash, onions and coconut cream in it for dinner. About two hours later, I was in serious pain and it all came back up. I've never had a problem with this particular dish before, but I think it was way too rich after eating so little for two days and my system just freaked. I tossed the leftovers just in case there was something off. My stomach is still a bit queasy this morning so I've only had a little vegetable broth and a couple eggs.

The upside is I did break that plateau and dropped 4.4lbs in two days. Since I don't feel much like eating anyway, I may as well start today. So I'm in with nothing but water, tea and broth until next Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Ang View Post
    I'm in! <snip>
    The upside is I did break that plateau and dropped 4.4lbs in two days. Since I don't feel much like eating anyway, I may as well start today. So I'm in with nothing but water, tea and broth until next Thursday.
    Great! I've been having way too much allergy/sinus lately~ also too much vodka and *somebody should have slapped me* a giant jar of Costco cashews!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Great! I've been having way too much allergy/sinus lately~ also too much vodka and *somebody should have slapped me* a giant jar of Costco cashews!
    Oh my god... the cashews... I do the same thing. It destroys my digestion. I have a thang goin' on with cheese too. Like blocks of cheese. Gross huh.

I started a forum journal on Monday and have eaten one meal a day since. I finished a giant meal a little while ago and plan to drink a lot tonight, but not eat anymore. No nuts. Didn't plan no dairy, but it's turning out that way. I don't know if I've lost any weight, but I hope so.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a multi-day fast, but nervous too. Sorry for so many questions.. but would you ever do a multi-day fast in the pursuit of weight loss (not to 'cleanse' or 'fix' your system), and do you do any exercise more strenuous than walking in that time?

I'd love to hear status updates throughout yalls fasts. But you guys sound like pretty cool cucumbers about it haha.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think 5 days is extreme... even ten days carefully isn't terrible... but pushing very far past it certainly could be. Long term fasting has been proven in numerous studies to cause organ damage.

I eat only once daily several days a week (dinner to dinner) just because I'm really not hungry those days so I find IF-ing to be rather a natural effect of changing to a paleo type diet. I haven't tried to fast further under normal circumstances... I think it would freak my husband out a bit if I stopped eating completely.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast